The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » A strange probabilistic question (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ipe
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of ipe
If you choose an answer to this question at random, what is the probability that you will be correct?

A) 25%
B) 50%
C) 0%
D) 25%

Smile
What would a real mindreader do?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4714 Posts

Profile of landmark
"this question " is ill-defined.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2676 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
The choices defat each other in a non-transitive cycle (think rock/paper/scissors, where none of the choices are always the best), so none of the answers can be chosen at random with the correct probability.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4714 Posts

Profile of landmark
Imagine this were not a multiple choice question. Rather than asking the probability of answering the question, ask what is the correct answer.

If it is answerable then there is some probability >0 of being correct if answering at random; if not answerable, then the P=0. There is no way to distinguish between the two cases.
ipe
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of ipe
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2018, landmark wrote:
"this question " is ill-defined.

What if the options would be:

A) 25%
B) 50%
C) This question is ill-defined
D) 25%
ipe
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of ipe
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2018, Scott Cram wrote:
The choices defat each other in a non-transitive cycle (think rock/paper/scissors, where none of the choices are always the best), so none of the answers can be chosen at random with the correct probability.

If you cannot choose the correct answer, so 0% is the correct answer; but you can choose "0%" from the multiple options available. Smile
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4714 Posts

Profile of landmark
Choice C (ill-defined) case is not an answer; it is a statement about the nature of the question.It could just as well be replaced by "I like this question."
ipe
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of ipe
Landmark, I agree with you, I was just in the role of puzzle-proposer. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » A strange probabilistic question (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.51 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL