The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » John Bannon's PAINT IT BLANK (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5228 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I also think he looks tired and the whole video looks “rushed” for some reason. Very unlike the higher quality vids we usually see from BBM. The “No Equivo”g”ue” could easily have been edited as well as the part where John gets his foot uncomfortably caught up under the rug while performing could have been reshot. None of this takes away from the effect though. You will still get the gist and be able to pull it off I’m sure. I have the book and won’t be getting this particular video though (but not for those reasons).
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2018, Poof-Daddy wrote:
I also think he looks tired and the whole video looks “rushed” for some reason. Very unlike the higher quality vids we usually see from BBM. The “No Equivo”g”ue” could easily have been edited as well as the part where John gets his foot uncomfortably caught up under the rug while performing could have been reshot. None of this takes away from the effect though. You will still get the gist and be able to pull it off I’m sure. I have the book and won’t be getting this particular video though (but not for those reasons).

My thoughts exactly! Too many magic vids are being done on the cheap these days! That was very poor by BBM standards. As for the trick itself? Really John - are times that bad? Jeesh!
Drewmasters
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Drewmasters
Have to agree Roger , this is purely just John producing an effect for the sheer sake of it .
There are far better applications of this method and many creators I notice these days are bringing out one trick downloads from past publications indicating to me at least they are down on their luck and looking at least for some Christmas monies . It’s a poor state of affairs imho 🙂
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5228 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
In defense of John Bannon, I will toss in the other side of the coin as far as this (or any) release goes. This has been his MO for pretty much his entire career that I can remember. I do not have “hard evidence” of this list but most is as I remember hearing from legit sources (including some info exchanged with Mr Bannon in the past regarding special cards and where to obtain them) It also may not be how EVERY book went, just a summary from some memory.
1) Write a book
2) Write a set of lecture notes or smaller pamphlet type book
3) Lecture on material
4) Write a book that includes everything written since last “Book”
5) Sell a few or several effects as one offs
(Keeping in mind many are sold as one offs after selling the rights and/or someone else producing, selling and supplying the special cards)
5) Make a dvd or dvd set based on last book
6) Repeat step 2 as necessary over this time
7) Rinse and Repeat

Being a Lawyer (his “real job” Smile ) I doubt he is hurting for Christmas cash. He has seemed to formed some sort of working partnership with BBM as of the last several years (which I believe is a good thing as they usually put out very well produced material). They also seem to have found a way to make their dvds fun (not just the girls) but there is a certain casualness in the way they film. His many colaborations with Liam have proven to be a great combination too.

My personal thought would be that BBM was a little rushed to get some new material out in time for the Christmas rush rather than Mr Bannon. I also sincerely hope he is well and just a bit tired from travel. Maybe this would be a good time to sit down and rest as he types away at his next book (a boy can dream). Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Drewmasters
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Drewmasters
Yes Poof-Daddy I agree with your summary particularly in Johns case and my comments were tongue in cheek and playful cynical 🙂.
However I do feel a lot of creators are gravitating more and more down this path , with a lot of their effects more suited to a book or DVD as they do not warrant a single release imo 🙂 .
I too hope John is well and also agree that Liam is a legend with his creativity and his BBM releases 🙂
philipsw
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of philipsw
I do take some of the points in this discussion. But as a life-long magic book nut I also recognise I'm in a minority - and that the idea that 'the best way to hide a secret is to publish it' has some truth. So I understand why in the modern video-based world that certain items which have already been published in print then get re-released in a video form for those that would never read the books. Sure - there must be some commercial concerns here on one side or the other - but it is driven by market requirements in that sense.

I just finally acquired a copy of High Caliber after several years of trying to complete my collection of Bannon books - and hadn't realised it was only a re-publishing of other works I already owned. But the obsessive compulsive in me is still happy to have completed the run Smile
http://www.bicycle-cards.co.uk

It's not what you do but the way that you do it!
ventman
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of ventman
I've worked the effect and it does play well. I'm perfectly happy. I wish John well.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2532 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Just a thought. The effect could be strengthened considerably if you'd eliminate the bit where you remove their invisible card from the deck. Instead, you could use a memorized deck as a secret index, and bring the thought-of card to the top without detection and without looking at the faces of the cards. (Michael Close describes good ways to do this in several of his effects, including his handling of Monkey in the Middle, found in Workers 5.)
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Maxyedid
View Profile
Special user
Panama
735 Posts

Profile of Maxyedid
I watched the trailer and I liked this trick very much. AND it's free. Why you didn't like it? It's very good!
NEW BOOK! "Semi-Automatic Miracles" - INSTANT Best-Seller at Lybrary.com
https://www.lybrary.com/semiautomatic-card-miracles-p-925333.html
chaos handlings, out of hands effects, and more
Maxyedid
View Profile
Special user
Panama
735 Posts

Profile of Maxyedid
I was kidding about the "it's free" thing
453rob
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of 453rob
I usually like John Bannon, but this one is a bit confusing. Why does a blank card appear first and then the selected one. It's a bit over the top. I found his Twisted Sisters over the top too. You don't need cards to change places in the two packets. I much prefer Maven's B'wave. Simple, direct and powerful. Oh yes and $20.00 for this soso effect is way over the top too.
andykean
View Profile
Special user
U.K - Now living in New Zealand Auckland
908 Posts

Profile of andykean
I have the book Mentaltissimo which incidentally I bought off John at Magic Live a couple of years ago.
I overlooked this until I saw the recent conversations around this.
This is really powerful and works in the real world , you have to try this to experience the reactions.
Personally, I hope others don't do it , as that will make it less likely it's been seen by any audience.
I use a Trevor Lewis monte move for the final display. Simple and direct , very commercial in my view plus also it's useful to take advantage of Ace of Spades/Queen of Hearts probabilities. When this comes off which is quite often the trick is almost moveless.
So please don't buy this or the book - Thanks Andy
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
9976 Posts

Profile of pegasus
No one in the the right frame of mind would purchase this, which is why they love to advertise here.
Maxyedid
View Profile
Special user
Panama
735 Posts

Profile of Maxyedid
Pegasus! I thought you were “old” 😂
HDMike
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of HDMike
Quote:
On Nov 16, 2018, philipsw wrote:
I did too - and in the explanation. "Slower" than usual. Maybe jet-lagged?!!

Same here, John looked a little jagged in his false Cut, I will say that I love his effects, especially his book Destination Zero.
HDMike
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of HDMike
Quote:
On Dec 4, 2018, pegasus wrote:
No one in the the right frame of mind would purchase this, which is why they love to advertise here.

Agreed Pegasus, this was very obvious from watching the trailer and way expensive for what is provided.
HDMike
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of HDMike
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2018, Cameron Francis wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2018, cardbiker wrote:
This is a rehashed Club Sandwich by Andrew Normansell

He credits Notmwnsell. The presentation here is completely different. As always, John’s touches and thinking is fantastic.

Well stated Cameron, John is a brilliant creator, and so are you, I am a hobby card magician and love your stuff.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2110 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
I love the simplicity of this routine.

But I think the effect can be strengthened by improved patter, especially if you frame the effect from the beginning about something turning from invisible to blank to printed, with the help of two "assistants" (Jokers).

This will give a reason for the series of final revelations, and will help everything make more sense to the spectator.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2110 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Here's the performance from the trailer:

As I noted in my previous post, I love the simplicity of this trick, even though the method is very straight forward. But I do wonder if there are ways to make the effect even stronger by improving the presentation in some way.
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of rowland
Quote:
On Dec 4, 2018, andykean wrote:
I have the book Mentaltissimo which incidentally I bought off John at Magic Live a couple of years ago.
I overlooked this until I saw the recent conversations around this.
This is really powerful and works in the real world , you have to try this to experience the reactions.
Personally, I hope others don't do it , as that will make it less likely it's been seen by any audience.
I use a Trevor Lewis monte move for the final display. Simple and direct , very commercial in my view plus also it's useful to take advantage of Ace of Spades/Queen of Hearts probabilities. When this comes off which is quite often the trick is almost moveless.
So please don't buy this or the book - Thanks Andy

I thought about using the Trevor Lewis move because you are in the perfect position to do it the way the cards come off the top of the deck. But I think you are missing the point by using it, doing like this the card is revealed way too early and you are missing building the trick up.
I think a lot of people on here are commenting on the video they have seen (which in my opinion is terrible) and have either not got it or have never tried it. This gets reactions WAY bigger than I thought it would.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » John Bannon's PAINT IT BLANK (21 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL