The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Brass Coin Casket Prediction (117 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14..18..21..24..27..28~29~30 [Next]
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2353 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2018, Mad Jake wrote:
Some one messaged me about making Sucker boxes to match the Casket, one the Half won't fit and the other the lid won't come off.
Thoughts anyone?

It's really not needed since everything can be examined anyway imho. Keep it simple.

Best

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2054 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
That's what I like, honest feedback. Thank you for sharing Steven.
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4153 Posts

Profile of videoman
I like the box that won’t fit a half. I’d get one of those. Might make for a good segue into a which hand routine.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
6804 Posts

Profile of bowers
I'm satisfied with what I have.
It does one thing very very well.
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1213 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
I might have missed this earlier, but is this based on a classic effect, or is it original? It is a beautiful piece of work!

Seth
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2054 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Thank you everyone.

Seth, this is based on a really old classic. When I found it in our fathers coin magic collection I thought it was neat. I had some brass stock left over and after days of
configuring the lathe to cut it, I made about 14 of them. I never expected them to sell like this.

My brother Frederick researched it, way past Ken Brooke's Nemo Six, it dates back to the mid 1930's, but he couldn't find the original creator, but it did come from Europe.
I always credit something to the creator, but in this case my brother couldn't find anyone.

I did PM back and forth with a member here who said he had an Abbott's version that was quarter size years and years ago. Dad also has some Aluminum versions that
were poorly made and were hit or miss no matter what year coin you used.

Thank you for the kind words Seth, but the lathe really does all the work Smile I enjoy making things and as I have said, the positive responses have just been so kind I'm just
thankful that customers have something they can use and not put in a drawer and forgot about.

Holiday wishes to all,
Jake Jr., Frederick & Crew
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
RedDevil
View Profile
Inner circle
Deep South
1175 Posts

Profile of RedDevil
Shared this story with Jake earlier today, but I thought you guys would get a kick out of something that happened to me today with the coin casket:

So I went to my local pawn shop this afternoon to see if by chance they had some silver walking halves or older kennedys. He dug up two from an old suitcase in the back and let me take them out of the cardboard protectors to test them in my casket. I first tried a 1945s Walker and it didn't work and then he had a 40% silver '65 Kennedy that worked great. I still wanted the walker so I offered him $6 for it, and he wanted $15. At this point, he looks at the casket and asks me what I want them for. I said I am an amateur magician, and I was looking for coins to put in my "coin protector" that fit.

So he was standing next to his partner across the counter and he said, "Show us something."

So I said sure. I said I got the brass coin protector from my grandpa who was a flea market guy (true story). He sold knives, tools, and coins his whole life, and I would play with his old stuff and play games with him to pass the time. One of those games was to use one of his coin protectors and we would guess heads or tails. So I asked him to choose a side while I turned my back and put the coin protector on the counter (I hardly ever touch the casket when I perform with it; I have learned I don't need to hold it almost ever for what I use it for).

So I hold my hand over it for a second and think, and I say, "Definitely heads."

Of course, I am correct. I then say, here let's try another game. And this is the cool part...

I tell him that my Grandpa had two sayings that he told me a thousand times, "Always choose TAILS and Always take a left." He was just that kind of guy. So I put the coin on tails and closed the casket on it. I then told him to put it behind his back and choose a fist to hide it in and put both fists out front of him, which he does.

So I look at his partner and ask him if he can tell which hand it is in. He says "No" and then puts his finger on the spectator's right hand and says, "I think it is in this hand."

So I say, "How close are you two as friends. Pretty tight?"

They shrug.

I say, "Well, I was wondering because your friend is way off. It is definitely in your left hand!"

He opens his hand and I am correct. (I never touched or saw the casket before this time)

He then shakes his head and says, "Okay, okay. Tell you what. You can have the stinking coin (pointing to the kennedy 65)."

I say, "Seriously?"

"Yes, s&8t, tell you what, you can have them both. You blew my mind. Get out of here and Merry Christmas."

So I walked out of the store after thanking him profusely with two free silver coins and grinning like my 8 year old self that got his first magic set.

Great piece of kit. I ordered a second one as a back-up, and Mad Jake is selling me a Walker that works well with the casket. Great customer service.

I hate to share this because it is so good, but the Coin Casket isn't just a piece of kit to be used "with" a which-hand apparatus...Instead, I have discovered that the Coin Casket "is" a which-hand apparatus. I am killing people with it lately with a 2-3 phase which-hand routine, and it costs 29 freaking dollars. I won't discuss upstairs, but I have developed:

2 Which Hand Methods using the casket (not logic-based), one of them is, I think, a vast improvement on my Re-Boht, which is now not even related to Boht directly. I never touch the spectator in any way.
A new use of the Tequila Hustler that I don't think anyone has ever published or thought of (I don't think I want to share this one right now)
A visible display method using another common object that guarantees detection without the performer ever touching the casket.

It's been a long time since a simple prop has got me thinking so much. I told Jake today that I really wished he wouldn't make any more of these or at least triple the price. I don't want to see this in the hands of You-Tube kids.
F-F-U-L-Ri-F-F-Li-R-U-F-F
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2056 Posts

Profile of aligator
Great story. Are you willing to share downstairs or by pm the visible display method? I now use a sight method myself but it does involve picking up the casket and placing it in the bag.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2353 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Dec 15, 2018, aligator wrote:
Great story. Are you willing to share downstairs or by pm the visible display method? I now use a sight method myself but it does involve picking up the casket and placing it in the bag.

Hey alligator, if you pick up the casket, no need for sight.

Best
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2054 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
We've decided to do a run of 1000 more Caskets and the price is now 99.95 plus 19.95 shipping. There RedDevil, we'll never sell another again LOL
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2056 Posts

Profile of aligator
I find the sight easier for some peculiar reason although the original method is fine as well. I would like to be able to do the sight without picking it up however if my esyesight is sufficient.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3357 Posts

Profile of Julie
[quote]On Dec 15, 2018, Mad Jake wrote:
...I did PM back and forth with a member here who said he had an Abbott's version that was quarter size years and years ago...

The Abbott's version was made by Alexander Great (the "A" in the latter day A&B Magic).

Julie
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2056 Posts

Profile of aligator
Quote:
On Dec 15, 2018, Mad Jake wrote:
We've decided to do a run of 1000 more Caskets and the price is now 99.95 plus 19.95 shipping. There RedDevil, we'll never sell another again LOL

LOL....for real....good post
RedDevil
View Profile
Inner circle
Deep South
1175 Posts

Profile of RedDevil
Quote:
On Dec 15, 2018, Mad Jake wrote:

Whew! Smile
F-F-U-L-Ri-F-F-Li-R-U-F-F
Oil&Water
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of Oil&Water
I will take another 4 then Jake;)
I can see where the Mad bit comes in now they are way too cheap lol, Merry Christmas Olly
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2054 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Our last shipping day is going to be December 24th. We'll be closed Christmas Day and re-open on December 26th.
We want to. wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday season.

Thank you to everyone who made the end of the year so much fun.

Warm Holiday Wishes,
Mad Jake Jr, Frederick, Samara, Marcella, Billy, Randi, Mikael, Dave, Josh, John, Epiphany and Jessie
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2071 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Quote:
On Dec 11, 2018, RedDevil wrote:
I have combined this with a new version of my “Re-Boht” (inspired by Bryn Reynolds,

The BOHT technique can be found in my eBook "The Safwan Papers."

I love hearing how people not only have had success using my routines as written, But also how they work certain principles into other effects!

Bryn
"The Safwan Papers" eBook: $30
Please read the many great reviews here at the Cafe:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=253272&forum=15

"THE LOGAR SCROLLS" eBook is also now available ($30)
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=464100&forum=303&70

SPECIAL: "LOGAR" & "SAFWAN PAPERS" Combo Deal: $50

Thanks,
Bryn
cavscout19@hotmail.com (also my PayPal for purchases)
dman11
View Profile
Special user
PA
527 Posts

Profile of dman11
Got my coin casket today and just love it! So much so that I ordered a backup in case I lose this sucker.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
2054 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Quote:
On Dec 15, 2018, RedDevil wrote:
Shared this story with Jake earlier today, but I thought you guys would get a kick out of something that happened to me today with the coin casket:

So I went to my local pawn shop this afternoon to see if by chance they had some silver walking halves or older kennedys. He dug up two from an old suitcase in the back and let me take them out of the cardboard protectors to test them in my casket. I first tried a 1945s Walker and it didn't work and then he had a 40% silver '65 Kennedy that worked great. I still wanted the walker so I offered him $6 for it, and he wanted $15. At this point, he looks at the casket and asks me what I want them for. I said I am an amateur magician, and I was looking for coins to put in my "coin protector" that fit.

So he was standing next to his partner across the counter and he said, "Show us something."

So I said sure. I said I got the brass coin protector from my grandpa who was a flea market guy (true story). He sold knives, tools, and coins his whole life, and I would play with his old stuff and play games with him to pass the time. One of those games was to use one of his coin protectors and we would guess heads or tails. So I asked him to choose a side while I turned my back and put the coin protector on the counter (I hardly ever touch the casket when I perform with it; I have learned I don't need to hold it almost ever for what I use it for).

So I hold my hand over it for a second and think, and I say, "Definitely heads."

Of course, I am correct. I then say, here let's try another game. And this is the cool part...

I tell him that my Grandpa had two sayings that he told me a thousand times, "Always choose TAILS and Always take a left." He was just that kind of guy. So I put the coin on tails and closed the casket on it. I then told him to put it behind his back and choose a fist to hide it in and put both fists out front of him, which he does.

So I look at his partner and ask him if he can tell which hand it is in. He says "No" and then puts his finger on the spectator's right hand and says, "I think it is in this hand."

So I say, "How close are you two as friends. Pretty tight?"

They shrug.

I say, "Well, I was wondering because your friend is way off. It is definitely in your left hand!"

He opens his hand and I am correct. (I never touched or saw the casket before this time)

He then shakes his head and says, "Okay, okay. Tell you what. You can have the stinking coin (pointing to the kennedy 65)."

I say, "Seriously?"

"Yes, s&8t, tell you what, you can have them both. You blew my mind. Get out of here and Merry Christmas."

So I walked out of the store after thanking him profusely with two free silver coins and grinning like my 8 year old self that got his first magic set.

Great piece of kit. I ordered a second one as a back-up, and Mad Jake is selling me a Walker that works well with the casket. Great customer service.

I hate to share this because it is so good, but the Coin Casket isn't just a piece of kit to be used "with" a which-hand apparatus...Instead, I have discovered that the Coin Casket "is" a which-hand apparatus. I am killing people with it lately with a 2-3 phase which-hand routine, and it costs 29 freaking dollars. I won't discuss upstairs, but I have developed:

2 Which Hand Methods using the casket (not logic-based), one of them is, I think, a vast improvement on my Re-Boht, which is now not even related to Boht directly. I never touch the spectator in any way.
A new use of the Tequila Hustler that I don't think anyone has ever published or thought of (I don't think I want to share this one right now)
A visible display method using another common object that guarantees detection without the performer ever touching the casket.

It's been a long time since a simple prop has got me thinking so much. I told Jake today that I really wished he wouldn't make any more of these or at least triple the price. I don't want to see this in the hands of You-Tube kids.

RedDevil, my brother did your routine and it got GREAT re-actions. Thanks for sharing this.
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2056 Posts

Profile of aligator
Any possibility of seeing this in the forthcoming ebook?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Brass Coin Casket Prediction (117 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14..18..21..24..27..28~29~30 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL