The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ Words Beyond by the Other Brothers (26 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10222 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Received today.

First impression is kind of meh... I don't see my self using this as the strength's touted in the ads(no fishing) are (for my taste) outweighed by the weaknesses (the fact that this feels more like a puzzle, not mind reading).

Clever? Kind of.

But this can't even come close to Flashback or MOABT - or Glance Magazine test.

Someone who had a deeper background in mentalism would probably have gone a different route. Yes it might initially feel like you are in the spectator's head, but you are kind of flying blind and in the end there is a little fishing needed.

I will not be using - not bad, but not good enough even for $35 to be groundbreaking.

Yes the formatting is kinda weird - and why put the author's name as PATRICK DIFFER which is Google searchable as a magician? http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/bb_pr......er=13681

Also the internal F pages are poorly executed. Anyone opening to the very start of the book will see a page in the mid hundreds. Compare this to the far better Ultimate Flashback by Larry Becker and you will see that the numbering starts at a place within the book where you would expect it Smile That's where a mentalist's audience management comes in.

Same as with Osterlind's great paperback book test.

I rate 6.5 out of 10. Cute but this is kinda too cute, and not usable for my taste unfortunately.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2005 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Thanks for this helpful review Brett. Much appreciated. Also glad I held off.
DrRob
View Profile
Special user
Middle Chinnock
915 Posts

Profile of DrRob
Ah Fluff just sold my copy of Sherlock Holmes Zandman book test to buy this Ggrrrrr

Regards
Dr Rob

Review really appreciated Brett ! The flying in the wind bit sounds scary !
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10222 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2018, DrRob wrote:
Ah Fluff just sold my copy of Sherlock Holmes Zandman book test to buy this Ggrrrrr

Regards
Dr Rob

Review really appreciated Brett ! The flying in the wind bit sounds scary !

I will send you mine FREE as a gift Rob, Just PM me with your address. Since I won't be using, I would rather give it a new home. Perhaps you will like it.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3556 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2018, saysold1 wrote:
Received today.

First impression is kind of meh... I don't see my self using this as the strength's touted in the ads(no fishing) are (for my taste) outweighed by the weaknesses (the fact that this feels more like a puzzle, not mind reading).

Clever? Kind of.

But this can't even come close to Flashback or MOABT - or Glance Magazine test.

Someone who had a deeper background in mentalism would probably have gone a different route. Yes it might initially feel like you are in the spectator's head, but you are kind of flying blind and in the end there is a little fishing needed.

I will not be using - not bad, but not good enough even for $35 to be groundbreaking.

Yes the formatting is kinda weird - and why put the author's name as PATRICK DIFFER which is Google searchable as a magician? http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/bb_pr......er=13681

Also the internal F pages are poorly executed. Anyone opening to the very start of the book will see a page in the mid hundreds. Compare this to the far better Ultimate Flashback by Larry Becker and you will see that the numbering starts at a place within the book where you would expect it Smile That's where a mentalist's audience management comes in.

Same as with Osterlind's great paperback book test.

I rate 6.5 out of 10. Cute but this is kinda too cute, and not usable for my taste unfortunately.

I kind of figured that views such as your own would start to emerge as people start receiving this product. I have honestly not been impressed by any of the material that the Other Brothers have released. They've all pretty much been "cute" but that's about it.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3228 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I would say this is decent for the money, itís cheap and cheerful. It wonít go down as a classic but isnít terrible either. Iíd say its not bad for a hobbyist but a pro is likely to spend the money on something better.

Mark
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
580 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Here is my net review:

This allows you to get pretty far down the line in the process before a compromise. The ďno fishingĒ claim comes with the cost of a slower process. It is a different approach which I admired, and think that would work best as a segue into a more direct revelation. The truth is there are divergent paths that have to be taken. Tomato or tomatoe, call it what you like, there is some slight fishing here. This just allows you to take out your rod and reel later in the process. The proverbial price is longer letter by letter revelation and ambiguity on how to end. In this aspect, I agree with previous criticisms that this feels unfinished. The ending is not tight, but the beginning is nice. Insightful people will find a way to handle the loose ending in manner common to other booktests. In short, itís a creative application that meanders a bit at the denouement to uphold a sellable claim of no fishing. If you use several books for your presentation, this could be an option to include, but you will need to better design your endpoint.
Follow the link...
www.experience-architecture.com
DrRob
View Profile
Special user
Middle Chinnock
915 Posts

Profile of DrRob
I wont beat around the bush this is by far the worst book test I have ever seen in my 45+ years of magic - Its Dire !!!

A child could spot the way you do this, thankfully the kind Mr Brett Barry sent me his copy and I shall be sending it on to anyone I think would want it totally free of charge. But in all honesty I wouldnt ask for it as you will be dissappointed as I sure was.

Compared to the Zandman booktest this is over priced by $30 - again just my opinion here.

Regards
Dr Rob
Psychosis
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Psychosis
Dr Rob,

I'd be more than happy to take that off your hands if you'd still like to part with it..I'm sure I'll find a use for it.

Thanks!
M
DrRob
View Profile
Special user
Middle Chinnock
915 Posts

Profile of DrRob
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2018, Psychosis wrote:
Dr Rob,

I'd be more than happy to take that off your hands if you'd still like to part with it..I'm sure I'll find a use for it.

Thanks!
M

Sorry already gone but thanks for the comment
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10222 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2018, DrRob wrote:
I wont beat around the bush this is by far the worst book test I have ever seen in my 45+ years of magic - Its Dire !!!

A child could spot the way you do this, thankfully the kind Mr Brett Barry sent me his copy and I shall be sending it on to anyone I think would want it totally free of charge. But in all honesty I wouldnt ask for it as you will be dissappointed as I sure was.

Compared to the Zandman booktest this is over priced by $30 - again just my opinion here.

Regards
Dr Rob

Yikes. Well at least the elephant will get passed to another happy home.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10222 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Any more feedback or reviews?

Jheff at Marketplace of the mind - panned it hard.

This thread has been dead for weeks.
DrRob
View Profile
Special user
Middle Chinnock
915 Posts

Profile of DrRob
Quote:
On Dec 15, 2018, saysold1 wrote:
Any more feedback or reviews?

Jheff at Marketplace of the mind - panned it hard.

This thread has been dead for weeks.

Brett would you have a link to this review from Jheff? as Im sure it would make interesting reading !

Cheers
Dr Rob
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10222 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I got it as an email so I donít think Iím allowed to cut/paste.

Maybe on his site?
The zone
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of The zone
The people who hate this book test. Did you see the whole routine they gave? When you use two books I canít see how itís bad. Reading through the Cafť for years it seems as most people donít watch more than 5 minutes of the instruction video and then come slam products. Magic is about subtlety and it seems most just learn the base secret and then flip out that itís terrible.
DrRob
View Profile
Special user
Middle Chinnock
915 Posts

Profile of DrRob
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2018, The zone wrote:
The people who hate this book test. Did you see the whole routine they gave? When you use two books I canít see how itís bad. Reading through the Cafť for years it seems as most people donít watch more than 5 minutes of the instruction video and then come slam products. Magic is about subtlety and it seems most just learn the base secret and then flip out that itís terrible.

Yes I did watch the whole instructional video and the way you do that second part enforces why I hated this book test IF the spectator turns a page your screwed - I think that about sums it up !

Regards
Dr Rob
ku7uk3
View Profile
Inner circle
1767 Posts

Profile of ku7uk3
Its been a while since ive written a review. But after reading this thread, I want to say how delighted I am at this booktest.

I have Glance, Streets, Bushwoods, MOAB, All about Eve, David Stone Words, Lexicon etc and many others. For me this is the perfect close-up walk-around mentalism book, and is the one I will take with me on those occasions.

On stage, I admit I would rather use Glance, or my own booktest which has a triple ending. I find the triple prediction finish is better for large groups. But one-on-one or table hopping; this is my go-to book test. Why?

Because the spectator can just think of any word with more than 8 letters in (of which there are 10) and by looking at their eyes (at the left or right page), I can reveal ALL the letters in their word with zero fishing and no mistakes.
Even if I don't look at them, I can get 6 letters correct before making a guess, and then its pure hits after that.

Now its worth noting a few things. Of the word bank, several start and end with the same letter. So that method is not usable. Also the word length is the same for pretty much all ten. So knowing the number of letters will not help there either.

If you played hangman with them, and they filled in the space where the letter is, then you can work out the word. But in all honestly, this is not a word revelation, its a LETTER revelation. You accurately reveal every letter of there word, but not the word itself.

Now there are presentations in the download explanation that help cover this. But I didn't like them. Playing hangman on a piece of paper is the best solution if you want the word. But when doing strolling magic, I don't plan on doing that. I just want to hand out the book and get all the letters right with no fishing, which is what this book allows me to do.

The book is perfectly sized to go in your pocket. 17.5cm x 11cm and 1cm thick. Again, making it perfect for strolling magic.

The page numbers. So yes, this gimmicks the book in such a way that it makes it less-examinable. This can be a problem. I am confident enough in my performance to work around it. However they have put the numbers at the very bottom of the page; meaning a guillotine cut 5mm from the bottom, will remove them entirely and not interfere with anything else. It might be something I will do after performing it a few more times. I don't know. But at least I have that option.
I wont be doing the second book revelation it was designed for. If there arnt enough words in one book to impress your spectator, then adding a second book won't help. A second book also hinders the strolling feature which is in my opinion, its strongest asset.

The font size. Looks like Times New Roman, 10pt, normal line spacing. I would have preferred 14pt personally, with 1.5 line spacing. This makes it much easier for spectators to read without needing glasses. Its also on white paper, and I would have preferred off-white (perhaps tinted yellow) as its easier on the eyes.

The explanation is bare-bones basic. Static cam, probably recorded on their phone. The word bank is never properly revealed. A simple graphic on the screen would have been helpful. Instead I had to create my own crib from looking at the book. They are dressed in their pyjamas so why they didn't put more thought into their image for the video bewilders me.

The book cover. Its very, very basic. Too basic making it look suspicious. There is no text on the spine, no ISBN number, no photo of the author, no quotes or even a proper picture. Its so basic, it screams fake to me. I don't know how the spectators will feel about it. Most of them don't read real books anymore so I doubt it will be an issue. But I may be tempted to buy a book from a charity shop, with a dust jacket I can take off and put on this book, to disguise it as something more normal, and recognisable. I would have to cut out the inside title page as well to do that. The cardboard sleeve it ships in from Van Inc. actually looks better as a book cover.

While I know those negative points may be a deal breaker to many, I still stand by the product. I believe its the cleanliest fishing-free letter by letter revelation of a word. Some confidence and audience management skills will be required for the fishing-free feature, but nothing difficult. At the price, its a bargain (in my opinion) but will require a bit of work to perfect once you receive it, and could be strengthened with a 2.0 update later down the line.
Marketing Magic - 723pg book & DVD, Everything I know about being a Children's Entertainer - 363pg book.
http://www.amazingstephen.co.uk/shop-dvds.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ Words Beyond by the Other Brothers (26 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL