The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » *NEW* Pyro Wallet by Adam Wilber (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
Camano
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Camano
Pyro Wallet is my favorite magic purchase of the last year. It is MUCH more reliable in ignition than Hot Leads was, and it is a great way to make a lasting impression when sharing your business cards. While the scent of lighter fluid is evident for a moment after using the wallet, the fluid evaporates so quickly that it is really a non-issue. As several people have mentioned, just stand the cards in a cup with lighter fluid in it for a minute or two, until the fluid is soaked no more than half way up the cards, and it will burn just long enough to make an impression without being too difficult to extinguish. It does not take long to learn how long to let it burn so that you can extinguish it quickly without any burning of the card itself, and very little lighter fluid left to smell. As long as you keep the fluid side of the card above your hand, getting burned is not an issue. I usually put about three or four half-soaked cards in my wallet, and they remain usable for about three hours. Unlike Hot Leads, the plastic sleeve in Pyro Wallet is tight enough that I have had no scent of lighter fluid whatsoever from the closed wallet before igniting a card.
I have not had any success in carrying extra soaked cards in a plastic bag however. The lighter fluid evaporates before I can use them, and if I put enough fluid in the bag to last longer, the cards soak it up for their full length, making them unusable. The business cards do need to be able to soak up fluid, so gloss cards may not work very well. Also, some cards are printed with ink that dissolves in lighter fluid, making the cards look like a mess when you draw them out.
One problem I had was that the amount of fluid necessary to allow the cards to soak it up from the bottom of a cup is greater than the amount the cards need. It is impossible to put the excess back in the lighter fluid container, so I pour the excess into a travel size mouthwash bottle that I can reseal until the next time I need to soak some additional cards. It is also easy to carry in your pocket during an event so you can slip away for a minute to soak additional cards.
I do not try to travel with lighter fluid, because I am not interested in losing my TSA precheck status when it is easy to buy more fluid wherever I am traveling. Last year TSA actually took my ziplock of liquids to confirm they were all toiletries, so I am glad I did not try to bring lighter fluid with me. I have never had any problem with either my fire wallet or my pyro wallet passing through TSA however, as long as there was no fluid in them. They look like normal wallets in screening, and you are allowed to carry lithium batteries with you as long as they are in a carry on.
All of my comments about pyro wallet are from the perspective of a hobbyist who has not tried to integrate it into a routine, so your experience may vary. All I can say is that I have found it easy to carry a flattened paper cup and travel size mouthwash bottle of lighter fluid with me at business meetings, and the reactions I have gotten handing someone a flaming business card during a meeting has been priceless. If you don’t use business cards, I have found that folding paper money in quarters and soaking it up about 1/3 with lighter fluid works just as well as business cards and makes a great impression if you are giving someone a tip or paying for a purchase.
I have to say Pyro Wallet is the best investment in magic I have made in a long time.
Just to be clear, I have no connection or financial interest in this product at all but have become a real fan.
ncsteve
View Profile
Veteran user
North Carolina
314 Posts

Profile of ncsteve
This wallet sounds great except for 1 thing. I'd rather it not have a rechargeable battery. Check Youtube for videos of guys with vape pens going off in their pocket to see why I'd rather change batteries. Having lighter fluid in the wallet would just make this even more dangerous if the battery does goes off.
I wonder if the issue with the lighter fluid smell could be solved by using grain alcohol (ie Everclear)? I know it would not last as long as lighter fluid but is non toxic and would evaporate quickly leaving less smell. I don't own the wallet but I think it would depend on how air tight the compartment is that contains the cards. Has anyone tried this?
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2236 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2019, ncsteve wrote:
This wallet sounds great except for 1 thing. I'd rather it not have a rechargeable battery. Check Youtube for videos of guys with vape pens going off in their pocket to see why I'd rather change batteries. Having lighter fluid in the wallet would just make this even more dangerous if the battery does goes off.
I wonder if the issue with the lighter fluid smell could be solved by using grain alcohol (ie Everclear)? I know it would not last as long as lighter fluid but is non toxic and would evaporate quickly leaving less smell. I don't own the wallet but I think it would depend on how air tight the compartment is that contains the cards. Has anyone tried this?

You carry a cellphone with a rechargeable battery. You have valid concerns, however, not sure the percentage of exploding batteries is much to worry about.
Pay it forward
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2378 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I have mixed feelings. I do a few professional gigs and always have it with me. The effect on people of having a flaming object at your fingertips and then blowing it out and handing them your card cannot be underestimated. On the other hand while I would love to carry it every day “just in case” and I’m sure some people do, it is not worth the effort to me. It needs to be prepared on a daily basis. And I would be be worried about damaging the arc element by accidentally showing something else’s in my pocket.
Rooster
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Rooster
My little humble review here Smile

https://youtu.be/yTCibjDZ89c
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3146 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Is anyone else having trouble activating the spark? I didn't find a clear explanation on the instructional video. If you watch you can see that he has three fingers on the audience side of the wallet, his thumb on the performer's side and his index finger is free to push the button inward. I find this awkward and unreliable because the button is located so low on the wallet.

I contacted customer service at Ellusionist and he replied:

----------------------------------------------------
"He does cover the finger position in the instructional video. In short - your fingers are on the back of the wallet, 'behind' the activator switch. Your thumb is on the front of the wallet directly opposite. Squeezing the fingers and thumb together will activate that switch. "
-----------------------------------------------------
The method of squeezing the thumb and index finger does not work for me and is not what is shown in the instructional video.

If you guys confirm what Ellusionist support says is the way to activate the switch then maybe I have a defective unit. Can anyone confirm the method you use?
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2378 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Your left hand can be part of the equation bracing the wallet as your remove the card
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2292 Posts

Profile of todsky
One of my customers bought this wallet 6 months ago. He says he never leaves home without it. He uses it in every show he performs, and he has nothing but praise for this wallet. He tells me the reactions he gets from it are fantastic.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3488 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2020, todsky wrote:
One of my customers bought this wallet 6 months ago. He says he never leaves home without it. He uses it in every show he performs, and he has nothing but praise for this wallet. He tells me the reactions he gets from it are fantastic.

I believe him I just bought one looks terrific Gaz 🙂
magicnorm
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of magicnorm
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2020, MeetMagicMike wrote:
Is anyone else having trouble activating the spark? I didn't find a clear explanation on the instructional video. If you watch you can see that he has three fingers on the audience side of the wallet, his thumb on the performer's side and his index finger is free to push the button inward. I find this awkward and unreliable because the button is located so low on the wallet.

I contacted customer service at Ellusionist and he replied:

----------------------------------------------------
"He does cover the finger position in the instructional video. In short - your fingers are on the back of the wallet, 'behind' the activator switch. Your thumb is on the front of the wallet directly opposite. Squeezing the fingers and thumb together will activate that switch. "
-----------------------------------------------------
The method of squeezing the thumb and index finger does not work for me and is not what is shown in the instructional video.

If you guys confirm what Ellusionist support says is the way to activate the switch then maybe I have a defective unit. Can anyone confirm the method you use?

Mike , I have the same situation you mention, I use my first finger and yes the button is very low in the wallet, I played with different holds and ended up with using first finger for the most consistent 🔥. So far I like it a lot and use it, I also use my original that I bought from J Pace.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3488 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I threw mine in the bin in disgust once I heard about the scum called Jim Pace Gaz 🙂
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » *NEW* Pyro Wallet by Adam Wilber (20 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL