The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » History of the Cups and Balls (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1566 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24159 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Unfortunately, the Cups and Balls Museum is still off-line. I'll have it up again as soon as I can figure out how to get rid of the password protection that I had on the original site and start over. All the files are still intact.

I did a lot of historical research. Much of it clarifies and/or points out some of the errors that were introduced into the pseudo-history of the C&B. The earliest clearly explained source in English is Hocus Pocus Jr. The explanation in Scot is very brief and leaves much to be desired. However, the Hocus Pocus Jr. routine was translated into several other languages and expanded a bit. I've seen versions in German and Spanish as well as English.

There is some evidence that the trick may have originated somewhere near India or Persia.

Regarding the balls that Al Schneider refers to, all of the early written historical material refers to small cork balls, made by the conjurer and blackened in a candle flame. These would have been about a half inch or so in diameter,making the pinch concealment very easy. It is interesting to note that Chrarles Bertram used cork balls that were about twice the diameter of these small balls, and he was able to execute that same concealment without difficulty. See the photos in The Modern Conjuror.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
1960 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Bill, my younger brother Frederick is a data and history miner and was researching the C&B and had mentioned Persia. He's very intrigued with the history of the C&B
and has been researching like yourself.

Jake Jr.
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24159 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The lad has obviously been influnced by people of great discernment. Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
928 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
The account of a cup and ball performance recalled by Alciphron of Athens is wonderful—it’s a layman’s account which I actually enjoy the most.
My story-deck routine, Apologies to Dickens.: http://youtu.be/mddPgWE_Lps
micwize
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of micwize
Hi,
Where can I find the performance recalled by Alciphron of Athens please?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » History of the Cups and Balls (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL