The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hofzinser (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24302 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I know this may sound a bit picky, but I have noticed that there seems to be a problem among some of the people on this forum when it comes to the correct spelling of Hofzinser's name. I have seen all sorts of attempts -- Hofzinger, Hofsinger, Hofszinger -- have all been posted.

It's a kind of hot button with me. The man did so much for magic that we owe him the honor of at least spelling his name correctly.

When I was in college, we had a professor who would give any music major an F on any exam where he or she misspelled the name of ANY composer. His said, "You are a music major. If you can't at least spell the names of the composers correctly, you don't deserve to play their music." So we learned.

It's not that difficult. And it is a sign of respect.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
jcigam
View Profile
Special user
Bellevue, Nebraska
510 Posts

Profile of jcigam
Having a last name that no one can spell or pronounce correctly (not that I have contributed anything worthwhile to magic) I second Mr. Palmer's post (not that he needs me to second it).

Jered
"The mind has exactly the same power as the hand, not merely to grasp the world, but to change it."
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Herrmann is another one (i believe that's the correct spelling). You often see it as Herrman or Hermann and probably other misspellings as well.
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Bill you're on the money here. I'm not saying that I never make a mistake with someone's name - I do - but I try not to. It seems like a lot of folks don't care enough for the sake of history or crediting, or plain old respect, to attempt to get the facts straight (and spelled correctly).

We need to have a common base to work from if we're going to share ideas. This doesn't mean that everyone has to automatically know everything, but we should make some effort. People's names should be a given.

It's sad that we could probably all spell Houdini but not Hofzinser, Tamariz, Hollingworth and anything that isn't "John Smith" - and these are some of the people who have enhanced our art so much!

Off topic but related: I have seen this problem in the martial arts world too, where people refused to attempt to learn Japanese names and pronunciations for the techniques they worked on, several times a week! I recall being at a seminar where a Japanese speaking instructor (who spoke fluent English as well) was clearly calling out names of techniques in Japanese and many people in the room didn't know what he was asking for. Now that is sad.
tjo'
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Keller is really Kellar
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Bro. John Hamman used to complain about the mistakes with his name, he said, "It is so easy...it is just HAM MAN."

82.45% OF THE TIME I GET PAGED "MR. BIRD" argh...
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24302 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's right, although it originally was "Keller." He changed the spelling of it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Pete, you kill me, man!

(in a purely humorous & insightful way).

My first name is Tristan. I get Thurston, Christopher, Christian, Tristram and (...get ready for it...only happened once...hopefully never again) THRUSTY. Yes someone honestly thought that was my name.
tjo'
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I can't tell you how many times people have called me David. I tell them my name is Larry Davidson, not David Larryson.

You'd think people would care enough to spell a word or name correctly and to look up the correct spelling when they're not sure (who hasn't heard of Google?). I think it's a matter of laziness. Don't even get me started on grammar.

Cinceerly, David, I mean Larry
michaelvincent
View Profile
V.I.P.
567 Posts

Profile of michaelvincent
On Tuesday night, Patrick Page presented me with an original copy of Hofzinser's Card Conjuring. My heart exploded. This book is such a gem on many levels.

Your post Bill triggerd a similar heartfelt responce: I admire the stand you have taken in the respect you have given the greats who came before us.

On the shoulders of giants we stand.

Mike Vincent
Magic for the 21st Century
"Why be mediocre, when you have excellence as an option"

Mastering Magic

Elegant Decpetions

Learning Tools

The All Cards Blog

The Vincent Academy of Magic
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
I get called Mr. Lee a lot and most folks try to make my last name "Daryl."

Been there, done that, got the hat, the bumper sticker, the T-shirt and almost got the tattoo!

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
I think that the spelling issue can and is a way to pick on people... Here in the Café and in other places.

I have a traveling right eye and I see letters backwards...

I have written four books in magic and all of them have spelling and grammar mistakes in them. Yet they were reviewed positively in the magic mags.

If you look you will find spelling mistakes in quite a lot of published works. I don't think it is a big deal.

When people seem to want to find fault with me it is often my spelling that gets picked on first...

Over the years I have made peace with my problem and if other find fault it is THEIR problem...

I do not find it disrespectful to read a misspelled name of the past masters in magic or a post by magicians. People that answer my posts often spell my name Glen and it doesn’t bug me a bit...

Glenn Bishop
http://www.mrhypnotist.org
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Cameron Roat
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
728 Posts

Profile of Cameron Roat
Quote:
On 2004-05-06 19:33, Michaelvincent wrote:
On Tuesday night, Patrick Page presented me with an original copy of Hofzinser's Card Conjuring.

I salivate. Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24302 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-05-06 19:33, Michaelvincent wrote:
On Tuesday night, Patrick Page presented me with an original copy of Hofzinser's Card Conjuring. My heart exploded. This book is such a gem on many levels.

Your post Bill triggerd a similar heartfelt responce: I admire the stand you have taken in the respect you have given the greats who came before us.

On the shoulders of giants we stand.

Mike Vincent

Michael:

That is really wonderful. Pat Page is an extraordinary fellow. BTW, I look forward to seeing you again at the Centenary Celebration.

I met you at the last meeting of the Magic Circle in the Victory Services Club in June of 1998. Alan Shaxon introduced us. You were sitting at the same table as Alan Alan. I did my card in wallet routine for you.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24302 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The next time I see Hofzinser misspelled in that part of the forum, I'll start a new topic. And I hope that all of you who really care about respecting our art, because that is what this is all about, will be so kind as to make the same contributions you already have made.

It takes a while to teach people. That's part of what I do. But at least I did get one good friend of mine to quit saying "Hoffzinger" every time the man's name came up.

To me, some things are just, well, RIGHT!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2004-05-06 20:53, Bill Palmer wrote:

The next time I see Hofzinser misspelled in that part of the forum, I'll start a new topic. And I hope that all of you who really care about respecting our art, because that is what this is all about,

To me, some things are just, well, RIGHT!

I am not the person that reported this thread being moved. But I feel that spelling and respecting our art are two different things.

People from all over the world post in the Café and people from different places have a hard time with American English and the Kings English...

The people in the world talk and write many different ways.

Respecting our art? I feel it is better to respect people and accept them for the way that they are...

Glenn Bishop
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Or Working. I've heard the same old tired jokes s zillion times. And it's NOT Workman, or Werking, or hardly working, or....
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2766 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Actually, I believe it was Hermann. But I don't understand why people can't spell the names of these people correctly. Everyone knows how to spell Houdininii. I mean, come on!
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Quote:
On 2004-05-07 02:42, Jordini wrote:

Actually, I believe it was Hermann.

I think that's wrong. The correct spelling is Herrmann I believe.
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27241 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Till the books are more readily available this is a tough issue.

How nice that cards are the poetry of magic, and that nothing is too good for the presentation of magic. Perhaps he would look upon our historical curiosity and desire to honor the pioneers in our craft with a warm sentiment.

I sometimes wonder how the performances were received. What kind of reactions he got when the hairbrush changed color, or when a lost ring was found where it belongs, between two hearts.

There is some for access to his salvaged works from a release of three books. These are written in German and we may see them in English around 2010.

The way we are going... we may see a similar text on Fred Kaps in fifty or more years. Maybe. I get choked up just thinking about the loss and the waste in the vacuum those folks left.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hofzinser (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL