The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hofzinser (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ThorstenHappel
View Profile
Loyal user
Düsseldorf / New York, NY
203 Posts

Profile of ThorstenHappel
Quote:
On 2004-05-06 22:45, bishthemagish wrote:

People from all over the world post in the Café and people from different places have a hard time with American English and the Kings English...

The people in the world talk and write many different ways.

You are right, Glenn. But Hofzinser is a name, and there is only one spelling, no matter if you are from Austria, France, England, Japan, or anywhere else.

How do you feel when people spell your name wrong? It is funny sometimes with all the direct mail you get. The copy states how important I am to the company. But they did not take the time and effort to spell my name right. Mmmmhhh ...
Thorsten
-----------------------------------------

"If this be magic, let it be an art ..."
-- William Shakespeare, The Winter's Tale, Act 5, Scene 3
El_Lamo
View Profile
Special user
Canada
589 Posts

Profile of El_Lamo
Spelling names is important as it shows respect for the individual and his or her contribution.

But, there is an easier remedy. If you notice someone's name is incorrect, please report the post and it will be fixed. Send a pm to the person who made the error as well.

"I just reported one of your posts, so that the spelling of (insert name here) could be corrected. I am sure that you meant no disrespect, but name are important. Have a great day"

If the correction is not made, the alternate spelling becomes a possibility and it makes it more confusing for everyone.

Cheers - El Lamo
Life is a system of circumstance presented coincidently in an illusory way.
Kevin Ram
View Profile
Special user
Travelling through Europe
791 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ram
I think sending someone a PM over amistake is a bit over the top.A mistake is a mistake.

Lets not get too obsessed here.

If you spell a name wrong you will end up seeing that you spelt it wrong from other posts.

I try to get peoples names right.If I don't, it aint the end of the world.Having Pm's sent to me about it would get annoying.

And sometimes you might know how to spell it but just make a mistake and overlook it.

Just my 2 sents Smile
"Your the Italian stallion" As said by my g/friend
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Blame Bill Gates. I used to be a much better speller than I am now but with the spell check in Microsoft Word my spelling has gone downhill. I suppose a certain amount of lazyness is also to blame.
What gets me is all of my life both of my names have been mispelled even when I spell it out or have it written down for someone to copy. Very few people ever pronounce my last name correctly even when I repeat it back to them many times.
We are products of our environment and culture and we American's tend to be a quick fix and lazy society.
Just my humble opinion, really don't want to upset anyone. Smile
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
I agree. The same thing happens to me. My name isn't hard to spell or pronounce, but 90% of the time, people spell my name Wicker, or Wilker. When they pronounce my name, they pronounce it, "Wicker, "Wilker," etc. I don't like it and I'm sure the people already mentioned don't (Or wouldn't have) like (Or liked) it.

Shane Wiker
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11175 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
There is a family here in Birmingham with the last name Thuston (no "r"). Curiously, they are related to Howard Thurston, as they even have documentation including letters from him to family members dating to the early 20th century. I am unclear if the "r" was originally added by someone, or dropped by others. I will try to find out what I can.

On others: Magic Christian spells it Hofzinser, that should be proof enough.

Herrmann is spelled Herrmann in pretty much every piece of Herrmann advertisement, that I have ever seen. I would assume they aren't all wrong.

I also recall reading that Kellar originally spelled his name Keller. Did this have something to do with Heller?

Most of us have probably had their name misspelled or mispronounced. I've been Mr. Becker, Mr. Barker, and my personal favorite misguided thought pattern... Mr. Cook.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hofzinser (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL