The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "Wild Coins" by Beans Magic (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/......d-coins/
Has anyone seen this up close? Maybe at a convention or something? Man, it looks clean and very magical, I am wondering if the Morgans are real or not though?
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I don’t know this for a fact but I’m pretty sure th coins aren’t real. This didn’t look that great to me but I am looking as a magician
magicday
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of magicday
No, those are fake Morgans . The quality is not good. The Copper coin is terrible.
Emory Kimbrough
View Profile
New user
Tuscaloosa, AL
94 Posts

Profile of Emory Kimbrough
That does indeed look very good. But is it $100 better than David Roth's no-gimmick Wild coin? Roth's routine can be performed with a Chinese coin - preferably one of the understated and far more realistic all-brass ones, not one with enamel painted over the brass unlike any real coin. I've had numerous spectators spontaneously comment that they were *particularly* amazed that the coins changed from not having holes to having holes. I can take a hint from my audience, so as excellent as Mr. Cheung's version is, I'm not giving up the strength of using a coin with a hole.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
It says "Easy to learn, no complicated sleights needed". I wonder how true that is?
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
It is not that true. I feel the method is clear. I do not own the trick. The slights I see are not super hard but not trivial
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2018, Xcath1 wrote:
It is not that true. I feel the method is clear. I do not own the trick. The slights I see are not super hard but not trivial

Exactly what I thought too. There may be easier ways to use the gimmicks though that are not in the trailer.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2018, rowdymagi5 wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2018, Xcath1 wrote:

Exactly what I thought too. There may be easier ways to use the gimmicks though that are not in the trailer.

True, but that is not to say the easier sleights are not on the full video. He could have just used “this version” for the trailer.

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1735 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
This routine is similar to, but not as visual and clean as, Luis Piedrahita's Wild Coin, which is taught in his book. (You can see a performance on YouTube.)

That routine requires only three half dollars and a gaff most coin guys already own. I don't see the value in the Beans Magic version.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2018, jerdunn wrote:
That routine requires only three half dollars and a gaff most coin guys already own. I don't see the value in the Beans Magic version.

I see the value if the 3 silver coins have to be shaved down and re-milled to fit the outer part of the Copper Gaff (like a "Samoya" or "TWIAD" set). Although not knowing the origin or name of the copper coin (if it is even real), I don't know its size. It may be a hair bigger than a Morgan Making it in the grasp of a lot more magicians who have the "common version" of the gaff.

Smile Smile
Frittentick
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of Frittentick
Look for Curtis Cam "The Goblet". That's magic.
MrCyNic
View Profile
Loyal user
England
238 Posts

Profile of MrCyNic
I got this as a birthday present last month. Can confirm that the Morgans are genuine and unmodified. The gaff is actually very nice. Not Lassen nice, but more than adequate. You've probably already got one, but for reference the one supplied works with normal-sized Morgans. I'm not massively fond of the routine as described, mostly due to the handling of the gaff in a couple of places, but have put one together that suits me better. The sleights involved are trivial at best. Nothing fiddly.

Long story short, there's nothing about this set that makes it essential if you already do a Wild Coin routine. It is, however, a very pretty trick with very pretty coins.
aceofspades71
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of aceofspades71
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2018, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2018, jerdunn wrote:

I see the value if the 3 silver coins have to be shaved down and re-milled to fit the outer part of the Copper Gaff (like a "Samoya" or "TWIAD" set). Although not knowing the origin or name of the copper coin (if it is even real), I don't know its size. It may be a hair bigger than a Morgan Making it in the grasp of a lot more magicians who have the "common version" of the gaff.

The copper coin is not an original coin, as a matter of fact this coin is pure fantasy. I have several of them minted in UK but this one looks a bit different most likely Chinese fake of the fantasy coin. Morgans from this set are NOT real silver/genuine coins - Chinese copies. Hope this helps.
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
For those who have speculated about the Copper Coin in this set. I was trying to find suitable extra Copper coins (I've asked Bean's via email and no response) So I discovered that the coin is NOT a fantasy coin; It is actually a Replica of the 1900 Gold Sovereign. There were some bronze versions of the coin, but has a seated figure rather than the horse/rider in the gold version coin. Here is a link of the Gold coin...

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/gold-sov......-head-p/

BTW:
Comparing the Replica Morgans between this set and the Vegas Dream Set (Both Bean's Magic)
Wild Coins uses Replicas of same size - maybe possibly 1/64" thicker than thickness of genuine Morgans. These Replicas weigh 23g vs 26g genuine. Genuine Morgans and Ikes fit in the Copper gaff with 100% edge coverage.

Vegas Dream Coins uses Replicas that are slightly larger diameter (approx. 1-9/16" = +1/16") and Thicker (approx. 5/32" = +1/32"). These weigh 28g vs 26g genuine. These visual comparison of the Replica Morgans to use the "extra coin" cleanup of the Wild Coin set finale (those who have it, you know what I'm saying). Just don't get it mixed up with the other Vegas Morgans because it will NOT fit into the Copper Shell, due to the larger diameter.

Blessings,
Steph
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

...Also...
I Facebook messaged Bill Cheung asking can I buy extra matching Copper coin. He said he doesn’t have any right now, but he will have them in April.
I will follow up with him then!
Steph
MrCyNic
View Profile
Loyal user
England
238 Posts

Profile of MrCyNic
Heh - guess I got fooled by the replicas. Probably not the first time, either. Still a nice set, though. Been having fun with it. Smile
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

No, even though this is $100, you couldn’t have genuine Morgans for that price!
But, I knew they were Replicas and I bought it used cheaper. I still like ‘em too!

Later
Steph
lyoma
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of lyoma
I have just got this set. The quality of the regular Morgan replicas is wonderful. But I have two problems: 1) The copper s***l makes noise when used in close up; 2) the same gimmick has plain edge, so the handling is difficult, compared to ordinary silver one with reeded edge. When you watch the promotion video, you don't notice the noise problem, because the sound is eliminated. Do you have any idea to avoid the trouble?
magikmax
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
113 Posts

Profile of magikmax
It does mention in the reviews that the coins talking are an issue. I can’t see it being an issue if you’re doing this round tables etc. In a noisy function room or restaurant, however it also mentions the performance as shown in the demo has restricted angles, so maybe not suitable for this sort of environment. Would need answers before putting down that sort of money on it. I really like the idea of the routine though - wild coins has passed me by somehow, so this is something new for me to investigate further!
lyoma
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of lyoma
Thank you for your answer, Magikmax. As for the angle issue, you cannot be seen from behind, but except that, the angle is rather good; of course, you cannot perform this in table hopping.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "Wild Coins" by Beans Magic (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL