The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Closing Effect (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
KWEBER
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of KWEBER
Hey Guys, I just stumbled across this thread.
As some of you realized, yes, ideally you send everyone back to their seats leaving you alone on stage to keep the focus on you while you wrap things up and bring it all to a successful conclusion. But there are no concrete rules; if my buddy David Thiel says a different approach works for him, I believe him!

Ken
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2018, WitchDocChris wrote:
I like to end with just myself on stage. I feel it gives a more definite 'wrap up' to the show, and I like how it mirrors the beginning of the show as well.

I always make sure people are off the stage before finishing. Or I did when I was performing, to be clear. The idea of people making their way off stage while other people are standing, clapping, and/or exiting never struck me personally as professional. 100% my opinion and I’ll admit that I tried to convince myself otherwise to open up some really interesting closing effects. But I always make/made sure that they are not only off stage but back to where their seats were.

I actually decided to try to get a slot at the SF Fringe Festival this year and was wrestling with this exact conundrum. I didn’t get my name drawn though so I don’t have to worry now lol
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Nov 23, 2018, aligator wrote:
Good point. No, it's not.

No it's not a good point?
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
It is a good point that it's not really a standing O if you have to trick them into it.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2019, aligator wrote:
It is a good point that it's not really a standing O if you have to trick them into it.

Not so sure it's a trick as much as a plan.

I would imagine most TRULY sincere standing ovations are flukes.

I would imagine most standing ovations are planned and choreographed to HOPE it happens.

Would that be considered a trick?
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
Possibly Smile
Bendeck
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Bendeck
After having the participants return to their seats, you may finish off with a some closing remarks telling the audience you appreciate their time while speaking genuinely from the heart, as it is well received and allows you to speak to them showing your off stage persona. I've seen singers do this, and it's only logical as leaving the stage after the last song (or last effect) might be a bit weird.

What do you think?

Bendeck
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1130 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Try both, then do what works best for you.
Belief Manifests Reality.
Nebula CT: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8517
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2455 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2018, aligator wrote:
After reading all of the differing opinions and considering the kind of show I am trying to present, I think it best (for me at least) to close with an audience participation demonstration but to return them to their seats for some brief closing remarks.

Well I think there is no right or wrong way, just make whatever way you go, your way.

But I do agree that a big finish routine with lots of people is great and then followed by just you. If your show is themed, then you use you last words to sum up and bring a conclusion to what have gone before. It can be comical, touching and personal or mystical depending on what has gone before and your style of show.

You start the show that way just you presenting yourself so it logically follows to end it that way. A nice conclusion.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Closing Effect (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL