The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Performing in Canada (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

James Warren
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of James Warren
Can anyone tell me, as a U.S. citizen, if I take a gig in Canada (one-shot deal, run over there, do an after-dinner show, and return), do I need to file tax forms with the Canadian government? Thanks.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2510 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Not sure but you may need a work permit
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
cafecheckers
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of cafecheckers
You do not need to file tax returns or have a work permit to do a gig in Canada as a US entertainer. I do not know the rules for longer term arrangements, but for occasional jobs you don’t need anything but a passport (or enhanced drivers lisense in some States) to cross the border.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7394 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Here's an older thread where this topic was discussed. So, links might be dead, policies might have changed, etc.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=44

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2687 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2018, James Warren wrote:
Can anyone tell me, as a U.S. citizen, if I take a gig in Canada (one-shot deal, run over there, do an after-dinner show, and return), do I need to file tax forms with the Canadian government? Thanks.

I assume you are wanting to know how to handle the taxes. In general you must pay US taxes on income you earned abroad in the same way you pay taxes on income you earned in the United States.
Your tax person should be able to help at tax time. Just keep all your receipts from the job.

Tom
Do What Others Do And You Will Become Average

The Daycare Magician Book
www.amazekids.com/magic-downloads/childrens-magic-ebooks/the-daycare-magician/

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
James Warren
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of James Warren
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2018, TomBoleware wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 19, 2018, James Warren wrote:

I assume you are wanting to know how to handle the taxes. In general you must pay US taxes on income you earned abroad in the same way you pay taxes on income you earned in the United States.
Your tax person should be able to help at tax time. Just keep all your receipts from the job.

I know I'll have to pay taxes to the US government, but the question was about the Canadian government. There are even some states in the US that want you to pay their state tax if you do a gig in their state. So I was wondering if Canada would require my to file a tax form if I have a gig there.

Tom
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Performing in Canada (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL