The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Negative posts (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

psychod
View Profile
Regular user
I may not be a millionaire but at least I have
161 Posts

Profile of psychod
Maybe I'm just getting more sensitive in my old age but it seems like some members of the Café seem to relish in doing nothing more than putting down others in every post they make. It seems like they feel that every question is a "dumb" one and every product is "trash". I don't mind if someone doesn't like a particular apparatus but some people seem to hate everything and want to put down those who purchase these items. Personally I've been pretty fortunate in that people have been very helpful here for me but with some of the comments, I can almost know who posts them before I look at their names. Maybe this isn't really an ethical question but I didn't know where else to put it.

Just wanted to get this off my chest...I'm less grumpy now!!!
Just adding my 3 cents worth because anybody can add their 2 cents worth...
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
148 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
Ah... the lament of the Latest and Greatest section.

I too was lambasted for having a unearned opinion. Now I just tune it for the drama Smile

I found a better section to post in called Not Very Magical Still... some of the post go in weird directions but at least it has interesting people.
Life's like a movie, write your own ending...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19627 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
While many things may not be for me or my style, and certainly there are things in performance of all sorts I do not enjoy or agree with, it in no way makes the other viewpoint "dumb". Just different and that is great!

I think instead of trying to make everyone the same, we should try more to celebrate our differences.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1252 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2018, Dannydoyle wrote:
I think instead of trying to make everyone the same, we should try more to celebrate our differences.

If only that was the case here Danny.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19627 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If only people didn't get angry and carry grudges and follow others around to carry them out. If only people had the ability to simply let things go. Wouldn't that be great?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1252 Posts

It certainly would be Danny. I contend also that it would be advantages to a healthy environment, to put egos in check and open up to differences of opinion. We could do this in an attempt to go beyond our own thinking and possibly learn something new.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19627 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Anger and childish grudges are a major factor. The inability to see another opinion as valid and the desperate need to be seen as somehow "right" is just undeniable in many sections here.

People who change their signature lines to show whatever current grudge they are holding onto, or those who feel the need to gather others to get involved in their grudges are all too common here don't you agree?

How can one expand their own mind when they are so set on fighting about old threads with others? Certainly this is ego driven isn't it?

Many things would make a more pleasant environment around here. I believe everyone should be required to post with their own name. Just think how much more people would think prior to posting if everyone knew who they actually were.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1252 Posts

Idk using real names might actually have people act more hardheaded, as they might feel like they have more to prove? For people to get angry it usually means they have been hurt in some way either real or perceived. We can't do anything about what one perceives, as that is due to ones mental state. But in the case of real hurt caused by insensitivity, or blatant nastiness, we can try to avoid being that way. especially in a place like this, that I believe tries to promote good will.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19627 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea and usually being responsible for your own words is a good start. Can't hide behind a pseudonym. You would own your actions. It would cause less beer muscles.

Having to be accountable is always good.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1252 Posts

+1 for accountability in all areas of life for sure.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19627 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Irony much?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1252 Posts

Not sure about the context of that post but I don't care so there's no need, to explain.

Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1252 Posts

There is a BIG difference between "constructive criticism" and negativity for the sake of being negative. The key in constructive criticism is CONSTRUCTIVE. I take constructive to mean helpful, supportive and positive. Unfortunately, many of the posts labeled "helpful" are not helpful at all because they are NOT supportive or positive. Telling someone what's wrong with their act or parts of it is fine, so long as it's done respectfully and with kindness. If we berate each other, all we do is turn off, to the so called constructive criticism. Helping would be telling the truth but in a kind and thoughtful way. And don't be fooled by those who say "they need to hear it raw" or some other such nonsense, it's human nature to be more open to kindness than forcefulness. Even in an integration, we try to coerce the individual to cooperate, rather than use threats or violence. (until necessary)

So for what it's worth, we "catch more flies with honey than vinegar" so the softer touch, is the way to go, in my most humble of opinion.

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4714 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Telling someone what's wrong with their act or parts of it is fine, so long as it's done respectfully and with kindness.

If unasked for, not so sure it can be respectful, by definition, absent some relationship where both parties know what to expect from each other.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1252 Posts

I agree landmark but there are those who would say, that if one posts in a public forum, they open themselves up to criticism from other posters, regardless of it's presentation. I don't think that's true, at all.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19627 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Dec 31, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
I agree landmark but there are those who would say, that if one posts in a public forum, they open themselves up to criticism from other posters, regardless of it's presentation. I don't think that's true, at all.

Along these lines (And by the way I agree.) and extending the idea a bit is the following. Often someone will post a video of another performer, who is not even a poster here and then invite critical comment on THAT video. I believe this is very wrong.

When one posts video of their own material and ASKS for input then it is OK. (As you pointed out.) But when I see video pulled from YouTube and posted of others material and the criticism flies it is also wrong.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Negative posts (11 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL