The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Invisible bottom palm, to be held out under deck? ideas? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Hi I have been searching far and wide for an invisible bottom palm, to the hand holding the deck from underneath. In other words, you can have a small action to cover a little noise if needed. It should be almost instant.
For most of us, this would be the left hand. I don't want a one handed bottom palm. Typically these and other types of impractical bottom palms make too much noise and have too much movement.

The idea is you bring your hands together, passing the deck from the right to the left. You could have a tiny action and the palmed card is held out under the deck. This way, you can just separate the hands and you essentially have an "instant" palm of that card.

I have developed something similar, out of frustration. This seems to a key to great miracles, even for those looking for a p--m. Getting rid of a card or p--k--g or turning it ... without even the least hint given to the spectator. I am new to serious card magic, so I need your help. thanks so much.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
I'm not sure why you'd consider the Earick bottom palm impractical and noisy -- it's totally silent, virtually motionless, and, by now, ubiquitous.

But I'm also not sure what you're asking for. You provide a solution in your post: Nudge the card over with your right hand, pass it to the left, and you've got a bottom palm.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Erdnase
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
I second what magicfish wrote.

Here is a 29-minute live performance of mine: https://youtu.be/lq2Rj1uf05M

I used to be quite sensitive to criticism; I am much less so now; so, please do criticize my technique, presentation, and posts. It helps me to grow, and I promise to take responsibility and not to be defensive.

Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Why is the Erdnase handling more ideal for the OP's scenario? Sounds like they want to set the card before placing the deck in the left hand. I could be mistaken.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
It seems that the Erdnase BP might fulfill the requirements. You set the deck in the LH in the proper position for the move. The only motion is that of the right 4th finger as it rotates the bottom card into position in the LH. There can be some movement of the left fingers but this can be minimized. It's my go to bottom palm.

Mike
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Nov 25, 2018, Mike Powers wrote:
It seems that the Erdnase BP might fulfill the requirements. You set the deck in the LH in the proper position for the move. The only motion is that of the right 4th finger as it rotates the bottom card into position in the LH. There can be some movement of the left fingers but this can be minimized. It's my go to bottom palm.

Mike

Just because something can work doesn't mean it's the solution. There are more "instant" palms.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Few are better than the Erdnase.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Nov 25, 2018, magicfish wrote:
Few are better than the Erdnase.

As with all applications in magic, context is king. Even the greatest tools aren't one-size-fits-all.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Agreed, but the OP asked for something fairly specific (which is why I didn’t recommend a cop or Carney’s Tenkaiesque, or a Fan Steal or anything else.
Based on the OP question, I would say Erdnase is tough to beat.
Yourself?
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Nov 25, 2018, magicfish wrote:
Agreed, but the OP asked for something fairly specific (which is why I didn’t recommend a cop or Carney’s Tenkaiesque, or a Fan Steal or anything else.
Based on the OP question, I would say Erdnase is tough to beat.
Yourself?

I PM'd a simple recommendation that seems to align with what they're already doing. I also stand by my defense of a OHBP, which the OP dismissed for somewhat nebulous reasons. The Erdnase mechanics are elegant and efficient, but the move wasn't designed to be accomplished as described.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Thanks Rupert, I pm'ed you. Your bottom palm is the beast. I respect classic works, but found that too many bottom palms are NOT INVISIBLE CLOSE UP, require too many moves, some which may not work under the heat of performance.

I had developed something quite similar to Rupert's but he had a set up pre-done in the right (one handed versus two handed for my slightly inferior version) for an instant holdout for the bottom palm in the left. I cannot share this. Rupert should market this.

A one handed bottom p--m, I would argue, is not invisible extremely close up. Why not do the set up work in the right hand, and pass the deck to the left and INSTANTLY have a card in bottom palm holdout? This is impossible for someone to follow, even someone who is looking for a palm.
I have nothing but gratitude for Rupert and his sharing of a priceless gem. My birthday is in a week. That was an incredible bday present I will use the rest of my life. thanks to all of you. you all contribute to making this a great place to make miracles happen!!!
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Happy birthday!
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Nov 25, 2018, countrymaven wrote:
Thanks Rupert, I pm'ed you. Your bottom palm is the beast. I respect classic works, but found that too many bottom palms are NOT INVISIBLE CLOSE UP, require too many moves, some which may not work under the heat of performance.

I had developed something quite similar to Rupert's but he had a set up pre-done in the right (one handed versus two handed for my slightly inferior version) for an instant holdout for the bottom palm in the left. I cannot share this. Rupert should market this.

A one handed bottom p--m, I would argue, is not invisible extremely close up. Why not do the set up work in the right hand, and pass the deck to the left and INSTANTLY have a card in bottom palm holdout? This is impossible for someone to follow, even someone who is looking for a palm.
I have nothing but gratitude for Rupert and his sharing of a priceless gem. My birthday is in a week. That was an incredible bday present I will use the rest of my life. thanks to all of you. you all contribute to making this a great place to make miracles happen!!!

1.Remember, all p-lms require misdirection.
2. I notice you are speaking of one handed bottom p-lms now. Is this intentional?
merlin5150 II
View Profile
Elite user
Aurora, IL
414 Posts

Profile of merlin5150 II
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Correct magicfish. a two handed bottom palm like what I had developed is absolutely invisible, requires no cover and can be done while they are staring at your hands. you are holding the deck, pass it to the left hand, and it is done, period. angle proof even extremely close up.
since you have to pass a deck to another hand and this is instant, I see no advantage to a one handed bottom palm, only disadvantages in terms of required misdirection, having bad angles if very close up, etc.

I had already developed essentially what Rupert has without one setup finesse of his. But I thank him again for the ultimate bottom palm, as far as what will work all the time, and being angle proof, and not looking knacky at all, totally natural.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I agree that Rupert’s is excellent..
Why would you want to do a palm while people are staring at your hands? (Unless you are just using this as a benchmark test)
You do realize that even if the deck isn’t transferred from one hand to another it is still a two handed bottom palm?
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Thanks Merlin,
I like Ben Earl's one handed palm, but I want something that is instant and angle proof with no movement visible. I mean a worker.
For me, no one handed bottom palm yet meets the invisibility, angle proof, and workhorse and instant nature like what Rupert showed me.

Magic fish, I would of course, provide some misdirection. But what I love about this palm is that someone can still stare at your hands and under extreme conditions they see nothing. I just found that Marlo has a similar bottom palm and he said nobody even thinks it is possible to get a palm with this technique. Yes it is two handed. Again, for me, the one handed ones are too knacky, not angle proof and not instant. So I am more than thankful to Rupert for sharing with me. Thanks to all of you!
Carlo
View Profile
Loyal user
San Francisco, California
244 Posts

Profile of Carlo
Seems to me you want Earick's. You can always use two hands if you don't like its one-handed nature. What do you mean by knacky? Two difficult?
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Thanks Carlo. Not too difficult.
It's just that to go from the bottom of the deck to a bottom palm, the card has to bend. several fingers involved. this makes noise, can possibly be seen, and works differently because of the different finger movements. The two handed bp I worked out is something I later found in Marlo's Action Palms. It is invisible at extreme close up, instant and seems impossible that you could palm something (quoting from Marlo). But Rupert's is an improvement due to his set up.

Let me explain it like this. You probably use the overhand shuffle control, right? since you have to square the cards afterwards, you could get set up while doing so (assuming you are r. handed.). Since you have to square the cards anyways, why not use this to set up for a completely invisible, instant, impossible to fail, two handed BP? The one handed is more difficult, but can be detected close up (not always) and tends to make more noise. I like things that are invisible and work 100 % of the time, with no downside. But for you, the one handed may be perfect. It depends on what works best for you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Invisible bottom palm, to be held out under deck? ideas? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL