The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Ricky Jay has passed away. (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1692 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
Heard the news about an hour ago, around 4:00 pm PST. No details as of yet.

Very sad. I was fortunate to meet Ricky on a half-dozen occasions and he was always very kind to me. Will miss his work and our occasional chats.

Jason
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
AMcD
View Profile
Inner circle
stacking for food!
3115 Posts

Profile of AMcD
I didn't like his style, but he was a master of his craft. I think we can even say he will be regarded as a legend in Magic.

He had a tremendous knowledge and a colossal culture of Magic.

Very sad news :-(.

R.I.P. Sir!
chappy
View Profile
Special user
755 Posts

Profile of chappy
Rest in peace Ricky.
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
byronblaq1
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of byronblaq1
Very sad news.

R.I.P.
Bobbycash
View Profile
Special user
Australia
693 Posts

Profile of Bobbycash
Such incredibly sad news. I rewatched Ricky Jay and his 52 Assistants this afternoon and it has definitely had a tremendous impact on magic, but in particular show casing some outstanding gambling demos.
I have always admired his writing and performance, he’ll be missed.
jjsanvert
View Profile
Special user
Paris, France
582 Posts

Profile of jjsanvert
So sorry. He was such a clever man, and extremely talented - not only with cards. His 2nd show on Broadway was unique.
JJS
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1620 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Disheartening news. I saw his show "Ricky Jay and his 52 Assistants" in London. He was skilful, eloquent, funny.

A huge loss.

R.I.P
Conus
View Profile
Special user
653 Posts

Profile of Conus
This is sad news.

We've lost a great magician, thinker, and entertainer: but we are all the richer for his gifts to the world of magic.

Requiescat in pace
Michael Kamen
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakland, CA
1315 Posts

Profile of Michael Kamen
We have lost a wonderful and inspiring thinker, entertainer, and magician. So sad to see news of his passing in The Guardian today. RIP Ricky -- the world is richer for your having lived.
Michael Kamen
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3918 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I really enjoyed his presentations. Very talented.

KJ
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16249 Posts

Profile of tommy
Ricky Jay, may he rest in peace, for me was the finest artist of our time and a wonderful guy.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Goldfield
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveller
336 Posts

Profile of Goldfield
Rest well Mr Jay
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything? Vincent V.G
andre.eighty
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of andre.eighty
RIP Ricky Jay
TimothyMa
View Profile
New user
HongKong
41 Posts

Profile of TimothyMa
RIP
Kimura
View Profile
Special user
517 Posts

Profile of Kimura
Truly saddened. I think he may have been the best living during his time. One of the top all time. Unmatched in dedication to the art and history. I wish I could have watched him perform live.
LouVelvet
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of LouVelvet
Ricky Jay was the first magician I saw that exudes formality in his acts. Yet despite the suit and refined etiquette, he had a good sense of humor as well. May he rest in peace.

A television archivist, Don Giller, has made a mini compilation of Ricky Jay's appearances/performances on David Letterman's shows. Here is the link in case you all are interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl_B47wG-kQ
Rowdy
View Profile
New user
Germany
1 Post

Profile of Rowdy
I have a question ... Who is the man standing behind Ricky supposed to be on the poster for considering cards and conversation
Always keep a little magic in your life !
Kimura
View Profile
Special user
517 Posts

Profile of Kimura
That would be Abraham Lincoln - this poster was also used for Deceptive Practice, Ricky Jay's documentary.

I forget the context (will have to watch that documentary again now), but it's a great poster.
David_MacFarlane
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of David_MacFarlane
I commend this 1993 New Yorker profile to your attention, be it initial or repeated.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1993/......he-magus
David_MacFarlane
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of David_MacFarlane
Deceptive Practice is streaming on Amazon Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F5REV44?ref......r_piv-20
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Ricky Jay has passed away. (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL