The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » From Life (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27226 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Today staff went to meetings hear about updates to our healthcare plans. Instead of one provider we will have three. One for medical, one for dental and one for eyecare. Which means we get three cards. And we have access to HSA (and FSA). Needless to say what will happen at the doctor's office will get interesting. A wallet full of cards and fussing through them in context to get them the right plan card then the right payment card. Smile This starts to echo the Emerson and West packet tricks.

Next door folks are discussing medicare law/rules about Part A, Part B... pretty much a readymade presentation for "alternative healthcare provider parody" but maybe it's too close to explore as humor.

What do you think?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Count your blessings.

Many have no dental or eyecare coverage.

So, no cards. Just cash.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1787 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2018, 0pus wrote:
Count your blessings.

Yeah, I'm one of those.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1274 Posts

Profile of imgic
Does having 3 cards for various insurance and others to make payments qualify as a "first world problem?"
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2602 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Nov 26, 2018, 0pus wrote:
Count your blessings.

So, no cards. Just cash.

And sometimes no cash
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27226 Posts

Not that one could ever truly be done counting ones blessings*... if there are folks in line behind you waiting to get on with their lives maybe it's not the best time to try doing that counting. This is "from life" noticing a common awkward moment in public at the cash register or counter. You see folks struggling against poor vision or limited dexterity to find coins so they can keep a dollar intact. Heck I've been watching myself produce coins from my pockets and cards from my wallet, noticing some of my awkward moments.
There are a few who manage to index their coupons or make producing the right change graceful. Maintaining an index of real things for real context is a challenge.

And today there are people making tough choices about hitchhiking north or turning themselves in to get deported south. A real situation for them rather than academic discourse.

*let's save the "first world problems" comic patter for something in the presentation or theater section.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1274 Posts

Profile of imgic
Yes, you’re right. Women and children fleeing violence, hoping for aslyum in a country not longer welcoming the poor huddled massses...quite a difference than trying to appear graceful as you find one of the many cards in your wallet that allows you health care. Not comic patter as that qualifies for “first world problem.”
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27226 Posts

Https://www.theguardian.com/environment/......outh-usa
Hiraeth?

This was the more interesting story to find today - but again - pointing fingers at others is not the same as doing better or building better. Smile
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5131 Posts

Profile of landmark
And here's an explainer as to why NAFTA is also a large culprit. Both of a piece with "free market" enforcement in others' backyards.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2808 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Sometimes I feel that Marvin, the Paranoid Android is my spirit animal; "Life, loathe it, hate it, you can't like it!"
"All the world's a stage, but the play is badly cast!" - Oscar Wilde
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » From Life (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL