The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Does anyone make decent quality change bags anymore?! (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Montbeliard
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Montbeliard
Usually an adult close up kinda guy but looking to do some children’s magic now my own daughter is old enough. I bought lovely change bag from an Indian magic store a long time ago but stupidly sold it as I wasn’t doing kids’ stuff. Now I want one again, but essentially there’s one change bag for sale, with a plastic handle! Who wants a plastic handle?!

I know some folk don’t like change bags but for children they’re perfect - I don’t care if it looks like a prop, I just want it to look like a lovely, mystical, quality prop rather than a cheap bit of plastic. The sort of thing you could credibly claim was owned by your great grandfather and you found it in a dusty attic or something.

I’m UK based but will send abroad for it if I have to! Thanks.
WayneNZ
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1013 Posts

Profile of WayneNZ
Contact Practical Magic and buy the German one.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Ickle Pickle still makes them here in the USA. The bag has a flat wooden handle rather than the round metal handle. I've had their "zippered pickleover bag" for something like 20 years now and it's held up very nicely.
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2018, Montbeliard wrote:
Usually an adult close up kinda guy but looking to do some children’s magic now my own daughter is old enough. I bought lovely change bag from an Indian magic store a long time ago but stupidly sold it as I wasn’t doing kids’ stuff. Now I want one again, but essentially there’s one change bag for sale, with a plastic handle! Who wants a plastic handle?!

I know some folk don’t like change bags but for children they’re perfect - I don’t care if it looks like a prop, I just want it to look like a lovely, mystical, quality prop rather than a cheap bit of plastic. The sort of thing you could credibly claim was owned by your great grandfather and you found it in a dusty attic or something.
I'm UK based but will send abroad for it if I have to! Thanks.

I wouldn't consider entertaining kids without one.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Ye olde Google Image Search yields hundreds of hits:
https://www.google.com/search?q=magic+ch......55&dpr=2

I thought these looked promising, although I cannot vouch for the companies:
https://www.ebay.com/i/141441655390?chn=ps
https://stores.silkmagictricks.com/produ......9lvD_BwE
https://abra4magic.com/Merchant2/merchan......ry_Code=

This seller I can totally vouch for, although the bag is out of stock. I would email him as he is always adding stock:
https://www.magiccollectibles.com/produc......ondition
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Change bags are VICTORIAN ERA PROPS.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2018, gomerel wrote:
Quote:

I WOULDN'T CONSIDER DOING A SHOW >>>WITH<<< ONE. I worked for moppets thru college age young people, for fifty years. I respect their dignity.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Montbeliard

Here is Change Bags made in India it that is what you are looking for again.

https://magicgoods.com/products?keywords=change+bag
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1367 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Quote:
On Dec 1, 2018, Dick Oslund wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 27, 2018, gomerel wrote:
Quote:

I WOULDN'T CONSIDER DOING A SHOW >>>WITH<<< ONE. I worked for moppets thru college age young people, for fifty years. I respect their dignity.

Dick

What are your thoughts about a "hidden spring" or a "tear apart" change bag?

Do you find this a more "workable" type of prop?

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Mark!

What "magicians" call a "change bag", was rather common as a "utensil" to collect the offering at services. (I visited Bobbie Gurtler's (Andre Kole) show in California about 25 years ago, in a church. At the intermission, the pastor announced that those of us who were not church members did not need to contribute, but a collection would be taken up to help cover the cost of the program. (The church was full!) The ushers passed velvet bags with handles across the rows of seats. (I doubt that they were Petrie & Lewis!!!!!)

About the time that Frank Ducrot invented the 20th C Silks, dealers saw an "upsell" to amateurs who couldn't use a pull. They modified the church "utensil", and, the change bag was born.

When I was a young teen, I had one! (tie cutting). As soon as I realized that it was extremely outdated, I red lighted it. (the tie trick, too! --it had gotten too expensive!!!)

Gen Grant sold a "tote bag" later. It looked like what it was. A simple container with a draw string closure. It had no gold tassels, etc.

Some years later when I began using my friend, the late Don Lawton's MUTILATED PARASOL routine, I did not like the HOKEY purse. I used Gen's tote bag. (I never bothered to show it empty, and, no youngster EVER ASKED TO SEE IT EMPTY, ETC. Don's routine was so constructed, that showing the bag IMO, was not necessary! It would have messed up the tempo. (qui nimis probat, nihil probat --He who proves too much, proves nothing!) The laughs were there and a BIG MITT (with more laughs) at the finish!!!!! I adapted Don's routine to fit a school show, and, I did it for years for the elementaries. It was so strong that I could have closed with it! (It's in my book, as a tribute to Don.)

As soon as I outgrew the "boxes, tubes, cans, pans, and red velvet bags on a stick" phase, I resolved to use only "innocent" generic or generic looking props. (One exception: Abbott's DISECTO.) It's played strictly for comedy, (but, it does fool 'em) It was for High Schools, and, ALWAYS played strong, in the toughest high schools (The exception "proves" the rule!!)

Remember the guy who thinks, "If I had that bag, I could do that, too!"

The Tear Apart bag fits the tote bag concept IMO, as long as it doesn't have gold fringe and a tassel!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps!!
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Steinmeyer has an excellent change bag routine in his Conjuring Anthology. It uses the change bag as a church collection bag.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I know Jim from my "Chicago Days"...(Didn't he usta do "Abbott's Vanishing Statue of Liberty Vanish? (heehee)

Only Jim would think of using the change bag like that!!!!!!!!!!!
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
The best "Change Bag" I have ever used was a VERY clever tip given to me by the late, great Karrell Fox at one of The Abbott's Get-Togethers many, many years ago. Like most methods Karrell used it was dumb simple....Karrell told me that "you never have to worry about having a change bag if you simply use two paper bags nested together and rolled down a bit".

He showed this to me, and a HUGE smile broke out!

Karrell was a genius as far as "simpler is better" as a Magician.

Not only does this always work anywhere and anyplace that paper bags are available...........its very deceptive and totally innocent looking.

Try it. You'll like it!

I miss Karrell Fox, He was ALWAYS available to talk Magic at the Abbott's Get-Togethers....and I learned A LOT from him!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Loftus Novelty made a metal change bag fashioned after the old P & L company. It is very high class Look like they sold out of the their original run, but have resupplied, which is unusual for them to do. Their magic is under the "Empire" brand name. Just to a search for Empire Change Bag, and you will see their change bag.

Here is the Zipper Change Bag by Loftus/Empire. Makes a gag when the child puts his hand in the bag, and it comes out the bottom, proving it is empty, and funny situtation.

https://www.ziggosparty.com/products/cha......QAvD_BwE

Click here to view attached image.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
I have used Ickle Pickle for about 30 years now and it is still in great shape. Also there is nothing wrong with using a change bag today just because it was from another era long ago, most magic is and it has all stood the test of time for a reason. Kids love it, and it looks "magical" to them and garners their attention. But to them it is just a "bag" anyway they have no clue what its origins are. Not everything needs to be "new" to still be effective work today, this is what we call "magician overthinking" as we tend to focus on stuff a lot more than laymen do not even care about.

I also do acts that are Vaudeville themed as well, just like the old days so it is a presentation in itself. Many of my customers actually request "classic magic" shows with a tux and tails as well, which I still do today and audiences love them. They are "classic" for a reason and artistic, and as I said an act in itself much like an old play. I still use modern day stuff as well but not simply because it is modern, I use what I like and what works for my audiences. but I love the classics and so do laymen, not everyone needs to start doing just I-Phone tricks. In fact flashy, glitzy, glamourous, classic, magical, mysterious looking, props are what attracted me to magic as a kid, not some "natural looking" objects.

That is the great thing about magic though it is very broad and has something for everyone and every generation. So when you get down to it, it is a matter of style, taste, and personal preference. They all work.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
One of my pet peeves for years has been when a performer shows a prop and says "I found this in my grandfather's attic" (or something to that effect), and the prop looks brand-new. Personally, I consider it offensive.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Maybe my grandfather kept great pride in keeping his pocket silks in great condition! How would you know?
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I've been saying it for years: people who perform magic need to study other forms of entertainment and learn from them.

In professional live theater, TV, and the movies, every prop fits into the story and is in context with it, and there's a reason for it -- if it looks out of place, it could distract audiences from the story long enough to lose the flow of it. And if it's supposed to look out of place, there's an explanation for it. You see this in amateur theater (and high schools) all the time. Props, furniture, even costumes look like they were borrowed or just pulled from somewhere, and you go away thinking you've just watched "an amateur performance" instead of "a performance."

I've been in the entertainment industry for over thirty-five years, and I can tell you it's really easy to spot the people who take pride in their work and those who either don't or just don't know any better.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
I keep some silks bunched up and wrinkled in my suitcase that are 40 years old, so I am covered for that. However as I said laymen are not thinking like that or that deep, only magicians are. Laymen are just there to see magic and have fun, not to psycho-analyze every piece of equipment, make sure that it all fits in, and that the patter patches. Anyone doing that is a magician or magic hobbyist. Also for those who do all of that including myself, normally it would not appreciated or even noticed because it not something laymen really care about or wish to dedicate their lives to. Even as a long-time magician myself I just try and enjoy the shows of other magicians, not look at all of their props critically, and focus on every single thing they do wrong. I have my own magic to worry about.

I know from almost 40 years or performing now and 28 years full-time professionally. Usually I am the only one that notices the little things and the extremes that I go to. I have never heard a laymen say anything even close to that kind of stuff. They have their own interests to worry and obsess about, not some magician doing a magic show. Just the same as all of that extra work will go unnoticed 99% of the time unless you have a magician or magic hobbyist in the crowd. But they are not the audience, and are far and few in between. So you just do the best possible magic and show that you can and hope that at least a few will recognize it. But magicians think much differently, and over-think much differently than laymen do.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of thomasR
I firmly believe that details matter. But it seems like you are trying to judge details, more than looking for things that truly matter.
But I’d have to know specifics to make that call. We may totally agree.

But “finding something in an attic” doesn’t mean that item needs to look old and worn.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Does anyone make decent quality change bags anymore?! (6 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL