The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Elmsley count with pinch grip in *neither* hand? (to avoid injury) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1438 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi folks,

I'm working on the Elmsley Count -- Elmsley's original handling as described in Stephen Minch's book, in which the cards begin in left-hand pinch grip and move into right hand dealer's grip. . It's going pretty well, except that the pinch grip is bothering my left wrist (a spot on the tendon just below the base of my left thumb is hurting). Right now the pain is mild, but I know from experience that if I continue practicing the pain is going to intensify to the point where I can't practice. I have tentinitis in both of my wrists and forearms that flare up occasionally when I do I just the "right" motions. This is disappointing because I'm really excited about learning some packet tricks -- hopefully a bunch of them.

I'm pretty sure it's the pinch grip that's causing the problem, so I wondered if anyone knew of a handling that didn't involve the pinch grip at all. I've been playing around with just thumbing off cards from the left hand into the right hand -- which is the way I would count bills or cards if I weren't thinking about it, and so far it seems okay, though pretty sloppy and far from having an even meter -- but maybe that's a matter of practice.

Still, I'd be curious to know whether anyone knows of an established, proven, deceptive method that doesn't use the pinch grip in either hand -- maybe something like what I described in the previous paragraph, or maybe something with the biddle grip?

Thanks for any help people can offer.

Bob
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1438 Posts

Profile of Bob G
P. S. After writing the above, I remembered that I'd seen something in the column Inside Ed's Head (hopefully interested people can find the relevant issue by searching for "Inside Ed's Head, March 2014, Elmsley and Eye Counts.") He got his ideas from Hartman's Card Craft (far too expensive for me to consider purchasing) and Jose de la Torre's Real Magic (which I think I actually own -- have to check on this). So a more specific version of the question that I originally asked would be, what do people think about the handling in Ed's column and the two books I referenced?

Still interested in other ideas might have.

Thanks,

Bob
Emory Kimbrough
View Profile
New user
Tuscaloosa, AL
94 Posts

Profile of Emory Kimbrough
1.) Switch hands. Unlike some sleights, this one is fairly easy to do ambidextrously. I'm right-handed, and I naturally pinch with a motionless right hand and take with my left hand into either dealer's grip or pinch grip. As seen by the spectator, the cards move in the direction of reading text - left to right - which at least hypothetically might be a tiny advantage.

You said that you're prone to tendonitis in both arms, not just the left, but I'm hoping here that your right arm may be more tolerant of the pinching position than the left. I suspect the problem isn't the pinch itself, but rather that you have to give your forearm and wrist a rather extreme rotation to bring the pinched cards up to the needed horizontal position.

2.) Learn the outward-facing Elmsley count, where the cards are held in front of your chest facing outwards instead of in front of your waist facing up. The spectator looks forward towards your face to watch the count, instead of looking down on the cards... and down at your crotch. The count therefore plays to a larger group in this position, and you keep eye contact. You'll be seeing the backs of the cards as you count, which may feel a bit strange at first, but you'll soon get used to it.

You'll also soon get used to your thumb pulling back a single instead of pushing forward a d....e. Note also that the outward facing count is usually done pinch-to-pinch instead of pinch-to-dealers, but I think both ways are possible. PM me if you need a more detailed description of how to do the count facing forward.

With your arms up in front of your chest, you won't have to twist your forearms and wrists nearly as much to put the cards in the correct orientation.
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1519 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Good ideas from Emory.

Lawrence O, a Café member has modified quite a few counts so that they can be performed using a Biddle Grip.

They’re actually easy to do and consistent. You might like them.

Here’s the post with info to see Lawrence demoing them.

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......art=40#6
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1519 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Just a quick addition to my comment above. Lawrence teaches his break (Lawrence O's break), but you can do the counts with a regular thumb break at the inner end. Plus, if you read the whole thread, you'll find more suggestions.

Another thread rich with info and more of Lawrence's ideas can be found here: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......forum=37

As usual, pick, choose and adapt Smile
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1438 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Claudio, thanks as always for these good leads. Emory PM'd me with a detailed description of the chest-level count -- thanks again, Emory.

At this point I have a lot to "pick, choose, and adapt" from (nice phrase, by the way):

1. I found that I do in fact own Jose de la Torres's booklet Real Magic, which has a nice, natural way to deal from left to right, thumbing cards from LH dealer's grip into RH pinch grip (but the pinch is a pretty light one, so I think my wrist will withstand it).

2. Emory's ideas

3. The Lawrence O. threads you mentioned. I'd come across at least one of them before and felt intimidated. But from what you say it will be worth a second look.

4. Gary Ouellet's "Paradise Counts" in his book Close-Up Illusions. A while ago I came across your comment that those counts aren't as open-looking as you'd like. But if the other options don't work for me I'll want to try "Paradise." I *must* learn the EC! Smile So I'll do whatever it takes to find a handling that I like and that doesn't aggravate my tendinitis.

And I actually like trying out different handlings anyway -- with enough experimentation I figure out what works best for me, and improve my card handling in the process. Of course, this makes for slow going, but that's me: I always prefer quality over quantity. With luck, all this varied practice will allow me to accelerate my learning one day.

Bob
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1438 Posts

Profile of Bob G
I'm working on the handling of Jose de la Torres. To this untutored magician it seems natural -- just thumbing the cards from left hand to right, the way I imagine right-handed laypeople would count cards -- and it doesn't bother my wrists. I'm learning it pretty quickly, although lots more practice will be needed. Too bad this handling is kind of obscure. Some currently famous person should put it in one of their books!
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1455 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Handle the cards with a light, gentle touch. Don't think in terms of gripping or pinching.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1438 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Nicholas. That's good advice that many people have given me. I've been working in general on lightening my touch. Not finding it easy. There seems to be some sweet spot where you're holding tightly enough to keep control of the cards, but lightly enough to keep cards from binding and the presentation from looking cramped.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1438 Posts

Profile of Bob G
P. S. I have dry hands. Applying a drop or two of lotion helps a lot, for a while at least. Then I apply more. If I'm consistent about that I think it will help me achieve a lighter grip.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3229 Posts

Profile of warren
You could just purchase The Elmsley Count Project by Liam Montier that should show you everything you need to know plus some routines with it.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1438 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi Warren,

I have the complete set (forget what it's called) that Montier came up with. His teaching is really good. I'm one of those people who find the first move of the now-standard method for the EC confusing. It seems like you're going to count in one direction and then you end up counting in the other. That's one reason I like the Jose de la Torre handling. I haven't looked in enough detail at Ouellet's Paradise Counts yet, but I'm hoping that they, too avoid that U-turn. If so, then I can use the same grip for both EC and HC.

Bob
The_Mediocre_Gatsby
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of The_Mediocre_Gatsby
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1438 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Gatsby. The video did a fantastic job of showing why that U-turn is confusing and unnatural. But I didn't understand the solution offered. The text said:

"Put the cards in your starting hand. Give a beat where the cards are held only by that hand. Do the count into the other hand."

I must be missing something. Isn't it sort of built into the usual method that three cards move while one is left behind?

Bob
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1438 Posts

Profile of Bob G
P. S. The count looked very clear, so whatever they'e doing is working. I just don't understand what they're doing.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26976 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The notion is that you start with cards in one hand, count them into the other, and so wind up with cards in the other hand.
The suggested strategy is to do what you usually do - but wait a moment before you start the process so there's some time for the audience to notice which hand is holding the packet. Then start the count.

It's a strange sleight which looks great from the performer's view.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1438 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Do you mean the spectator's view, Jon?

I'm looking at Gerry Griffin's explanation since it's handy. The following description won't be new to anybody, but I'm trying to compare what he does to the advice that I quoted above from the video that Gatsby recommended.

Griffin begins with the packet in LH dealing position. He's going to count from the right hand to left. On beat one, he pushes the top card out and to the left, using his left thumb, and thus breaks the top card free of the rest of the packet. His left hand remains motionless while his right hand moves to the left to grasp the bottom three cards in a right-hand pinch grip.

Once his right hand has reached the bottom three cards, the *right* hand becomes motionless, while the *left* hand takes away the top card. From then on, during beats two through four, the right hand remains still while the left hand does moves to pull off (and deposit!) further cards.

As far as I can tell, this is the way just about everybody teaches the sleight these days. What's disconcerting is that the cards are going to be counted from right to left, and yet they begin in the left hand. So there *could* be a moment of disorientation at the beginning, in which the viewer is confused about which direction the magician is counting in. As I watch Griffin, I don't feel disoriented. Maybe the key is in the way that the right hand moves at first but after that it's always the left hand that moves??

I'm having trouble seeing how the description in the "jerx" video solves the problem, because that video says, "put the cards in your starting hand." In contrast, Griffin, Daryl, and Giobbi start with the cards in the hand where they're all going to end up!

I'd appreciate any help people can offer. Out of the zillions of handlings, I want to end up with one that doesn't bother my wrists. My question about the U-turn may be moot, because Griffin holds the cards in a pretty narrow pinch grip (though I do take NicholasD's point about lightness of touch).

Thanks,

Bob
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1519 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Hi Bob,

The issue about counting direction and which hand holds the cards at the start of the count has been debated on the Café for years. You’ll find quite a few threads on this topic.

In my opinion, and experience, it’s a moot point. If you learn one of the prevalent handlings taught in the literature you’ll be fine. More often than not the EC is not used to explicitly count the cards (1,2,3,4) but to display them while implicitly counting them. You seem to have an issue with the pinch grip (because of health reason). I had a look at my own grip and I use two extended fingers (1st and 2nd) and there’s hardly any tension there. So, in your case, it might be a technical issue.

However, though I don’t have Jose de la Torre’s booklet where he explains his handling, I understood your description and like it. I practised it and it’s actually very natural once you’re familiar with it. But, and bear in mind I’m going with your description and I am filling the blanks, it might be tricky to be to do a two-card thumb push-out, so I don’t think his handling is easy. Correct me if I’m wrong.

I’ll try to shoot a video once I’m back home.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1438 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi Claudio,

I'll PM you later today and give you a bit more detail on de la Torre's handling. In my preliminary attempts it seemed to go well, perhaps because of some details that I didn't share.

Interesting that you use two extended fingers -- that gives me hope that I can also learn the more prevalent handling. I'm having trouble visualizing how you can keep hold of the bottom three cards in that position, so I'd be interested in how you accomplish that.

Talk to you soon.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1438 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Claudio,

I've PM'd you. Take your time -- I know you're out of town.

To anyone who's interested: I think that by describing Gerry Griffin's handling, I convinced myself that the U-turn in the usual handling needn't be a problem. In Griffin's demo, it's very clear in which direction the cards are going, and I think that's because of the details of which hand is moving and which hand is still during different parts of the count. If I'm wrong, I'm always happy to learn!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Elmsley count with pinch grip in *neither* hand? (to avoid injury) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL