The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » What are your favorite opening lines? (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2859 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Gee, Pop, thanks for agreeing with me on this. Smile

And sorry about the extra "e."
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
787 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Quote:
On Jan 3, 2019, foolsnobody wrote:
What's OLEP?

It stands for Orange, Lemon, Egg, Parakeet. You start with an orange, a lemon, an egg, and a parakeet. You vanish the bird, the egg, and the lemon. Then you produce the orange. Cut it open to reveal the lemon inside. Cut that open to reveal the egg inside the lemon. Break the egg and the parakeet comes out.

I only do the production part, as part of a different routine, and I produce something other than a parakeet at the end. So I don't really OLEP, per se.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15715 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Wx4usa
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of Wx4usa
Pop Haydn is absolutely correct. Not just opening lines but all lines must be planned, proactive and intentional. It’s selling 101. What is the desired end result? What are the possible outcomes? What are the possible pitfalls? What could be potential objections from a spectator? Build the presentation around those objections and overcome them before they come up. In close up, remove the watch, pull up the sleeves, right in front of their eyes. Slow down, over exaggerate/sell the eye and body language. Don’t rush it. Script to the end result. Pops an expert. Watch his eyes, watch him prop his hat back at the right moment. It’s not just lines but body language too. My 3 cents worth.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3171 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2019, Wx4usa wrote:
Pop Haydn is absolutely correct. Not just opening lines but all lines must be planned, proactive and intentional. It’s selling 101. What is the desired end result? What are the possible outcomes? What are the possible pitfalls? What could be potential objections from a spectator? Build the presentation around those objections and overcome them before they come up. In close up, remove the watch, pull up the sleeves, right in front of their eyes. Slow down, over exaggerate/sell the eye and body language. Don’t rush it. Script to the end result. Pops an expert. Watch his eyes, watch him prop his hat back at the right moment. It’s not just lines but body language too. My 3 cents worth.

My friend S. David Walker used to say that it was better to read the pitch off a page than it was to try to improv it. "It should be memorized word for word until it becomes part of your DNA." A memorized pitch gives the impression of fast thinking and clear reasoning. That has power to persuade in itself. A magician needs to help the spectator do their thinking, just like a salesman.
Wx4usa
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of Wx4usa
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2019, Pop Haydn wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2019, Wx4usa wrote:

My friend S. David Walker used to say that it was better to read the pitch off a page than it was to try to improv it. "It should be memorized word for word until it becomes part of your DNA." A memorized pitch gives the impression of fast thinking and clear reasoning. That has power to persuade in itself. A magician needs to help the spectator do their thinking, just like a salesman.

Spot on Pop Haydn! The magician must be in control. Everything is choreographed down to the minutest detail. Each and every spectator must feel as if they are the only spectator we have ever had. The spectator is deserving of and should receive the most amazing show ever even in a room of 3! They are the most important thing in the world right at that moment! Then when things do go wrong....and they will... we will respond....not react.

People say, "You cannot follow a structured process." Oh, yes you can and you'd better. Practice makes perfect. Then it doesn't look structured.

When showtime arrives and you are not ready you try too hard and the harder you try the harder it is.

That is exactly why a great salesman looks so natural. And a great magician looks so natural. And a great wide receiver looks so natural.....etc etc etc. As you say... It is in your DNA. It become second nature, natural and instinctive, a great magician can do things blindfolded and in his/her sleep.
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of Rocky
Ive seen Pop perfrom several times. His magic is great, but it's his personality and presentation that takes him head and shoulders above 99% of those who attempt to perform a "magic act".

My wife said it best..."He (Pop) was so good he made me forget I was watching a magic act!"
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2209 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
So many thoughts... I always step to the mic after a few illusions and say, "Any questions?" Oh, sorry, that's not me but every other illusionist out there.

I do understand the "pitch" concept and after pitching Svengali Decks for several decades It is definitely what I do in that situation. Rapid fire, fast thinking and perfect in every way. I would never think of altering one word or pause in that routine. It would be the same if I was doing an "act"... but when I do a show, it requires a richer range of communication.

There are sections I want to be polished and flawless, and yet in my interactive sections I want a degree of implied spontaneity that allows that audience to feel special. My personal subtext that I use in long form shows is to open generically polished and "allow" that particular assemblage of people to encourage, inspire and motivate me to do more than I ever have in the past. It is a Pavlovian relationship the audience is guided into and willingly follow. Keep in mind that every "spontaneous" line and bit has been rehearsed and finessed to the nth degree, but to them, it feels like the first time and they are a party to a special occasion.

I was teaching all the "wizards" about magic when I was the Magic Director for Caesars Magic Empire years ago. I taught them a routine which was 25% physical technique and 75% psychology. What appeared to them to be a performance that was totally unique due to their responses and my reactions turned out to be a carefully rehearsed routine which used every "spontaneous" reaction as misdirection for the next move. Because it felt so free form it was much more deceptive. It was only when they learned the psychology behind every move that they understood how much work went into making it look like it did.

Again, it's not as important for an act but those are the details that separate an act from a headline star. Study any headliner in Vegas and you'll see the difference.

Many years ago, a woman came up to Judy Garland after her one woman show and said, "Miss Garland, your show moved me so much... it's like each word you said was right to me. I loved how much you allowed yourself to be so vulnerable for us tonight. I can't wait to come back and see you again." She responded, "If you really loved it that much... don't come back." If she had... she would have realized that each word was carefully planned and scripted, they were just delivered perfectly to seem real and spontaneous.

Are we ultimately not actors playing the role of a magician?
Ray Pierce
<BR>www.HollywoodAerialArts.com
magicianbrady
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of magicianbrady
"Hi my name is _____ and my job is to interrupt people when they're talking." Smile
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
A corn field in WI surrounded by
1026 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
Well, I think your opening depends on the venue of the performance.

Here's an opening line I like.

"Why are you staring at me?"

But seriously, there is something more important than the opening line.

My philosophy is that you open with you.

Here is my idea. When I first appear on the stage like walk from behind a curtain or get up from a chair to stand in front of the audience, that is when one opens. I see it as that is when the audience begins to form an opinion of you. The way I see it the performer should give the audience a chance to size up this person that appears before them. There are no words. It is all body language. In my mind the performer allows the audience to size him up. Then, once at the microphone, the performer sizes up the audience. The opening line is to establish a rapport.

In my close up work, the opening is drastically different. I work in a small room where people file in to see an act and file out when the show is done. After the first act those filing out are shaking their heads, look wide eyed, and mumble to themselves about drinking to much. Those coming in see this and wonder what is going on. It is my plan to set up an incoming audience before they even see me.

While the crowd is changing I sit behind my performance table toying with cards. I may invite someone to sit in front. When someone sits in the front, I engage them with a conversation. While the crowd is filing in I talk to this person and absentmindedly do card flourishes. When the crowd is all in, I began performing. But I do not announce any kind of beginning. Everyone thinks I am just chatting with this person. During this initial engagement, magic happens and we are into the show. In a sense, there is no opening.

I have heard some guys that do house parties begin their introduction when they first walk up to the house. What they carry their props in says something way before the show starts.

Just some thoughts you may find interesting.
Magic Al. Say it fast and it is magical.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15715 Posts

Profile of tommy
The psychotic magician swims onto the stage and asks "Why are we in the ocean?" and swims off into the air.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15715 Posts

Profile of tommy
The magician cuts a psychotic woman in two, her ghost stands up on its hands and feet, walks across the floor, singing hymns, toward a door marked “Hell or Heaven” and mysteriously passes through it. The magician says “Ladies and Gentlemen, for my next trick, I will need a volunteer.”

Tommy
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1252 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Tommy, I like your sense of humor but you must know, how daft you are? lol Just kidding and after the cartoon you posted of me, I owed you one Smile
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15715 Posts

Profile of tommy
“Ladies and Gentlemen, I have here some microchips, which I recovered from the dead cold bodies of certified psychotics, who had all reported having had an encounter of the third kind. Everybody thought them crazy but these chips Ladies and Gentlemen will prove otherwise. This chip here, implanted in the right eyeball, will give one the ability to see the future.”

Smile

Tommy
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
1026 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
I have encountered several magicians in the past that believe their patter should be extemporaneous. I draw my methods of entry by observing two magicians I revere. One is Karrell Fox and the other is Jay Marshall. I can distinctly remember both of the gentlemen walking on stage and beginning their act. I do not remember what their first line was. Karrell would often wear some flashy sport coat. He took his time walking to the microphone. And, took his time adjusting the stand and getting it to the correct height. Jay walked out appearing as an English gentleman and graciously approached the microphone. Both did the same act after act. Ray Pierce is right and he points it out in a very nice way. Every motion and every word should be memorized and rehearsed to produce a desired effect.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15715 Posts

Profile of tommy
Yes and then, of course, one must deliver it in an extemporaneous manner, or else it will appear unnatural, stiff and too formal.

Tommy
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
1026 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
Tommy
You have clearly not read the previous posts in this thread.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15715 Posts

Profile of tommy
It is clear that you did not comprehend what I meant. I agree that one must practice and rehearses etcetera until one is at the utmost ease with it all so that one can deliver it naturally.

Tommy
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
1026 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
Yaa, right.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19536 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
You don't remember Jay's line of "Hello I am Jay Marshal and I am one of the better cheaper acts".
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » What are your favorite opening lines? (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL