The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Funniest reactions you get from magic? (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
I recently have been enjoying kids magic much more. I have no problem now not focusing only on magic but also on getting them to laugh.
What are the funniest things you do? Gags included. We want them most of all to have a good time, and laugh too, right?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Read my book! Watch my dvd!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
I am not asking for someone to promote a book . I am posting this to ask for what the funniest thing you do for kids shows is.... ok?
Please do not be offended. I am trying to get many ideas . Also so we can all share. Kids magic should include participation and humor. Humor is certainly part of what makes magic truly MAGICAL for kids......
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
OK, DON'T read my book! I have shared a gezillion ideas in the Café, GRATIS. Many others have written to tell me how useful those ideas have been.

Have you ever gotten a standing ovation (after half a dozen good laughs) in a SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL, with a brakawa fan? I have on two occasions.
The routine is in my book.

I've likely played more PRIMARY SCHOOLS, over FIFTY years (and, left them laughing) than you could count. (I mean audiences of 1200 moppets!)
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Quote:
On Dec 3, 2018, countrymaven wrote:
I am not asking for someone to promote a book .

While I understand the point you raise, I disagree with your post. Getting reactions from an audience of any kind is dynamic in nature and has to be discussed in context to be most useful. Dick did not say to buy anything, he offered reference materials that provide what you were in search of. Dick has nearly 8,000 posts and the ones I have encountered have been insightful and offer true value. The fact that he was suggesting materials that he produced is incidental to the fact that he was offering real world examples that played to a wide range of audiences over a long career.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I agree. Just asking for the goods to be given to you in a nice package for the asking is a bold expectation. Information, insight, and assistance come from quality resources, not taking others material and using it or taking it for your own. That is called a "hack" in the business.

You want to eat a fish or learn how to fish? Stock lines and others humor to get the reactions you are seeking is the surface answer, the real answer is how to create your own using tried and tested methods and approaches.

I'm offended that he did try to help you by offering two great resources and you found a problem with that when he was actually helping you in more ways than you realize.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Thank you Mindpro and Charlie Checkers!!!

It's good to know that there are people like yourselves who understand what I was trying to do! I'm a great believer in the "teach them how to fish, rather than give them a fish".philosophy. In mentoring several dozen young magician "wannabees", over 50+ years, that has always been a major point. A number of them are working pro's. today. It was my privilege to counsel with youngsters like Doug Henning, Chuck Windley, Bob McAllister, et al.

I never suggested that any of them, copy what I did, I advised them to read Tarbell, Fitzkee, Maskelynne & Devant, et al. We discussed basics like tempo, timing, and time, and PRESENTATION!

Over the years, I developed a show that could play almost anywhere, for almost anyone. I was never at liberty. Managers would call me to ask when I would have open time.

After the first few years, I had a program that fit my personality. It's mainly classic material, with basically generic props. But, it's ME, not the props that entertains the folks in the seats!

Far too many of the members seem to think that, "helping other magicians", means that we, old timers should "teach them our act"!
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
It's also about comedy, how its created, where it comes from, the style and how its executed. Hearing someone's funniest bits, lines, routines, etc. misses the point. Comedy and humor isn't plug and play, there are many aspects involved.

That's exactly why someone who creates something makes it play so well. They created it for them, their tone, sense of humor and their act in mind. It works for them in their context. This is why when magicians purchase an effect or DVD and try to perform it themselves that will rarely have the same results as the creator of it.

The best advice is to learn to write, create and execute comedy yourself, as it pertains to your act, your sense of humor, your audience, your markets, your personality.

I never understood why so many magicians don't mind being hacks. In other forms of live entertainment, like standup comedy for example, it can be the kiss of death. Other comics won't want to work with you, bookers, clubs, and promoters will not touch you and will likely blacklist you, and audiences know when you are taking other's material.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I get the heaviest laughter with my Miser's Dream routine.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Dec 5, 2018, Mindpro wrote:
It's also about comedy, how its created, where it comes from, the style and how its executed. Hearing someone's funniest bits, lines, routines, etc. misses the point. Comedy and humor isn't plug and play, there are many aspects involved.

That's exactly why someone who creates something makes it play so well. They created it for them, their tone, sense of humor and their act in mind. It works for them in their context. This is why when magicians purchase an effect or DVD and try to perform it themselves that will rarely have the same results as the creator of it.

The best advice is to learn to write, create and execute comedy yourself, as it pertains to your act, your sense of humor, your audience, your markets, your personality.

I never understood why so many magicians don't mind being hacks. In other forms of live entertainment, like standup comedy for example, it can be the kiss of death. Other comics won't want to work with you, bookers, clubs, and promoters will not touch you and will likely blacklist you, and audiences know when you are taking other's material.

You have said it so well! Thank you!!! (I watched as Jay Marshall created The Saga of Juan Escadero!)

I agree, 110%!
Magic1
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
408 Posts

Profile of Magic1
Hey Countrymaven, great post, good question! I know that you asked us not to suggest books, but there’s a book by a guy name Christopher T. Magician, called “Beyond Look, Don’t See: Furthering the art of children’s magic.” The reason I’m recommending it is because it’s one of the better books about comedy I’ve read (and I’ve read quite a few) and he because teaches Principles to create comedy moments that are unique to you. Though it’s not what you were looking for, I think this book is going to be more valuable to you than having me tell you the gag I do with a balloon. Also, to describe to you the thing I do with a balloon would require photographs or video and a long description (though I probably wouldn’t mind showing you over video chat or in person sometime) in the meantime, do try to get a look at that book, it’s really valuable. Cheers!
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Thanks Mindpro and Magic1, I was looking for something like that, not trying to steal something unique to someone else. It is easy to do that, by the way, from videos. I was looking for someone to finesse the process of developing comedy. I have developed some fairly unique things, for comedy.

Dick, I appreciate what you said, but I misunderstood your saying, read my book watch my dvd as just self promotion. I didn't realize then that you were saying that is a great way to learn from all your experience, I appreciate that. Now I know what you meant and I appreciate it.

So Magic1 and others I am open to resources, but it helps me if you tell me why. I find some of the supposedly funny stock magic tricks not to be very funny for my style of magic. My goal is to get them rolling with laughter, in a good way. Along with the magic. I don't mind having a sponge rabbit that is supposed to turn into a real rabbit to turn into another funny animal because of a mistake ....

So I see more clearly, that humor is very personal and works with one's own style. It helps to be upbeat and looking for fun too. So I am not really trying to hack ideas, but rather to see resources and good examples to get ideas on how to develop personal comedy into my shows. I don't have a problem with developing comedy ideas, but I have a lot to learn. Thanks fellow comedians......
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Mindpro said:
"The best advice is to learn to write, create and execute comedy yourself, as it pertains to your act, your sense of humor, your audience, your markets, your personality.

I never understood why so many magicians don't mind being hacks."

I appreciate your advice. I have found some great theory and examples on David Kaye's Penguin Live. I am not a hack. ACtually, I find that magic is often old, trite and people expect kids to have a great time using fraidy rabbit, painted plywood bunnies or whatever. I am going for the gusto. Getting people fooled silly and rolling in laughter. I am finding I am having to invent new comedy props and material. It is one thing to get people to snicker, another to laugh with joy at the unexpected and outrageous.
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of noland
I consider myself a children's comedy magician. I feel that my show is funny and engaging to children. It's taken me 15 years of performing to construct my performing character and act. I've reached the point I'm at by studying other magicians I thought were funny, trying different stuff and bombing repeatedly. And then trying again. Over time, I've figured out what my performing character is, and how to choose material that fits that character. But to get there, I have immersed myself in the work of other magicians. I have a library that includes most of the DVD's released by magicians who perform for children. Some of my favorites include Kimmo, Gary Dunn, Silly Billy, The Great Zucchini, Al Lampkin, Tommy James, Christopher T. Magician, Chris Capehart, Turley the Magician, and many others. Whenever I watch one of these performers and the performer does a trick or gag I like, I try to analyze what I've just seen, asking myself the following questions: Was that funny? If so, why? If not, why? Could that work for me with my character? What would I have to do to adapt it for my performing style? I don't see how a list of tricks will help you learn how to be funny. For example, some of my favorites are the thumb tip vanish of a silk, sponge balls, hat productions, miser's dream, snake cans and Rocky. I'm not sure how that list helps. What I can say is that for me, it's been a slow, painstaking process learning how to perform for children. However, studying the work of great children's entertainers, not necessarily for their specific tricks but their performing styles, has helped to educate me. One final note: I've read Dick Oslund's book and watched his performing DVD. Dick brings lots of experience and some great touches to his material and is well worth studying too.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Thanks Noland, that is exactly what I was looking for. I apologize I did not ask the question in the right way, in what I posted on the title of this thread. But hopefully, something as new and complex as developing your own comedy style is not the easiest thing to do. It is hard to know how to ask the question if you don't have the answer. Especially for something you have never done in such a focused way.

So I thank you. You gave me the answer I was looking for.
randysburtis
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of randysburtis
Chris T magicians latest book breaks down ways to be funny and gives you principles to then apply to your unique self
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Thanks guys. after getting stabbed in the back a few times after this post, I have hope in the MC. If you see my second post, I said "please do not be offended." But it was worth it. this is the one thing most needed to succeed in magic. You guys provided the real magic, the secrets to developing this!! a million thanks. make America great again. if you don't like that then make America average again. ahah. haha. some people like Donald Trump toilet paper. Others like me prefer Obama rolls. haha.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
Yeah...adding political affiliation will help the discussion....
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
My best successes with getting kids laughing were with Card Through Handkerchief, where I give the Hank a personality and he saves a trick I had messed up, Quentin Reynolds’ mouse routine, and a cut and restored rope routine all about my mom teaching me to tie knots. In all 3 tricks, the basic story is one of my blunders and things working out even so. The Mouse trick has a story to justify the folds and then goes into the jumping mouse. I do fewer than half of Quentin’s gags, but that bit of cloth really works well as a vehicle for the story I tell.

An approach I like is for the magic to be the illustration to a short, fast paced, relatable story of me bungling something and being glad I have whatever the prop is. Kids like interesting stories and they like an adult messing up. There’s a line to walk, though. I like and respect good clowns, but I don’t try to be one. Too many people seem to think at first that all they need to do is be goofy. It works for some, but not for me.

Patrick
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Mr. woolery, thanks for a great point. as a kid you are messing up all the time. they naturally like to see someone ELSE mess up. This is really valuable. Not always made this clear even in top lectures on kids' magic!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Funniest reactions you get from magic? (22 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL