The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » NATO phonetic alphabet (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Not very magical still https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_phonetic_alphabet While there may not seem like much use for the phonetic alphabet in survival, there are a number of situations where it could be extremely useful, especially when trying to transmit something in code.

All radio communications made by your survival team should be in some sort of code, even if you are just using deceptive descriptions and names of people, places and things. You don’t need to be giving information away to potentially hostile forces. Nor do you need to have miscommunications between your own team, because of noise or unclear radio contact. The phonetic alphabet will help eliminate this.

Probably the most important use of the phonetic alphabet for a survival team is in giving directions to team members. Such directions are one of the easiest things to miscommunicate, especially if they contain names which are not known by the receiving party. Spelling the names of streets and other landmarks phonetically will ensure that they receive the message clearly.

Another way that this could be useful to a survival team is to use it for conveying information about supplies. If you develop a simple code, with letter codes, such as “LVD,” for each supply item, then using the phonetic alphabet allows a scavenger team in the field to call back to base and report on what they’ve found, while still keeping that information secret.

Finally, learning the phonetic alphabet will keep others from using that information against you. It is actually rather easy to learn, if you just find a way to use it in your everyday life. Once you’ve learned it, you’ll probably never forget.

From an article posted on Survivopedia.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1015 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Where do you live that you're so worried about hostile forces and transmitting in code?

And who's on your survival team?

Grandma?

Just curious.
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Best use is in spelling your least favorite person's name to telemarketers.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Loyal user
Beyond bored...
287 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
Maybe back in the day of Captain Midnight with synchronized decoder rings...

Today Steganography is the way to go.
*Yawn*
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Since this is "From an article posted on Survivopedia." any questions or ridiculous retort should be asked of them or their grandmother.

Stenography is amazing I use it all the time. I don't see how you can use it audibly like on a radio?

Here are some things to consider when using stenography,

1. Be sure to strip the meta data from the original source item or it will give away the fact, that something is embedded in the source.
2. Encrypt the data before embedding, as it provides another layer of security to the data.
3. Camouflage the source item with other like items in say photo album to further hide things.
4. Encrypt the whole photo album.

These types of security methods don't guaranty privacy but they go a long way, in helping.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1274 Posts

Profile of imgic
I learned the importance of coded communications from Star Trek 2: Wrath of Khan
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6916 Posts

Profile of magicfish
We use the same alphabet in the Nuclear Industry.
I’m surprised the politically correct lunatics haven’t screamed and cried for a ban on the word for “Z” yet
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27226 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
All channels are open.

As heard way back when: mnemonics such as rhyming slang, first letter choices, pauses and clicks are practical.
Piddingtons Smile

But remember what Cardinal Richelieu said.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Delta. Alpha. Victor. India. Delta. Charlie. Oscar. Papa. Papa. Echo. Romeo. Foxtrot. India. Echo. Lima. Delta.
:p
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20877 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Whisky Tango Foxtrot?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6916 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Dec 5, 2018, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
All channels are open.

As heard way back when: mnemonics such as rhyming slang, first letter choices, pauses and clicks are practical.
Piddingtons Smile

But remember what Cardinal Richelieu said.

Q: Why us?
A: Because we’re here, mate. And nobody else- just us.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » NATO phonetic alphabet (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL