The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » Death By Magic (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
Death By Magic on NETFLIX is Simply Superb! Great Concept.
Very well done. Outstanding writing, direction, production & Great Magic.
DMC amazing. He's believable and gives MAGIC the gravitas it deserves.
This show checks every box and is a pleasure to watch.
Death By Magic is everything a TV magic show/series should be.
Very Very Well done.
natmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
301 Posts

Profile of natmagic
Interesting how perspectives are very different.

I find him very very boring to watch with limited performance/people skills.
Same old edit methods mostly used for the magic effects with 'some' pretty nice escapes thrown in.
He could be easily replaced by an actor with good presentation, no real call for a skilled magician here. Same for a lot of Tv magic these days not just this dude.

Some family members watching with me, felt like it was just some tv guy doing a few tricks not an actual magician. They where surprised too hear he is supposed to be a real magician, which is interesting.

I wonder if this DMC guy does real live stage shows for real audiences or just close up shows at private parties? Seems to me he needs to learn how to work an audience and be an entertaining magician before jumping onto TV.

Hokey empty paper bags awkwardly shown empty and loading an empty paper cone full of candy out of the camera frame is considered good magic these days?
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I find the show pretty enjoyable and his magic to be well above average. And the tailored suits add to the professionalism. There were a few things were a touch offputting.
I especially disliked the line "succeed where others have failed." That seems pretty disrespectful to me. A bit of professional courtesy to the people who for the most part paid a huge price for a small error that anyone could have made would be nice. And those errors have added to the effects.
Chung Ling Soo made the bullet catch legendary when he died. It was a tragedy and an oversight but to die doing something you love is not a failure, especially when you add to your art with that death.
This dude is benefiting from these people's deaths so he could show a bit more gratitude for that.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Countage
View Profile
Veteran user
Charlotte
361 Posts

Profile of Countage
I think this show is really well done. I have watched more than two episodes and that pretty good for me. I lose interest in some of these Netflix shows pretty quickly. I think this guy portrays a pretty cool image of a modern day magician. I give it double thumbs up.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Wow, I expected more realistic reviews. The show is over produced. The reactions are so manufactured and edited. Way to many edits to make it appear the magic is random but there is far more set up for almost every effect he does.

The show might have better for me if it was not so over acted. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrN9OLFQJ4Y To see the actual show they audience really shows how staged they were. Do home viewers really buy into that?

I do not believe home audiences think he is in real danger. Unlike when they see a knife throwing act like on AGT Champions.

Yes nothing about him really screams like I would seek out his performances. He is a bit over dramatic and flat at the same time .

Too bad, seems like they put allot of work into each epesoide, but not enough time was put in to work out methods for actual audiences.
It would have been better for him if had thought out the ways he could have staged the effects but the audience not be in on most of it.
natswift
View Profile
Regular user
Colorado
177 Posts

Profile of natswift
I'm mixed on the show. During the buried alive episode I thought it pretty classless that he used the clay figure in the plastic coffin get flattened by the concrete.
Never forget to dream!

Nathan Smith
nateswift2010@gmail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » Death By Magic (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL