The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » "OK, so show me a trick!" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
prospero
View Profile
Special user
Elsewhere
572 Posts

Profile of prospero
I usually work in an environment where there a lots of people walking around. A few times a day, someone says "Oh, you have your cards out! Cool, show me a trick!" Now, oftentimes they don't have enough time (or a table, for that matter) for me to do any well-known "good" tricks, i.e. Chicago Opener, Be Honest What is it, etc... What would you do? I usually do ambitious card or a quick card to wallet, but I'm looking for some other stuff. Any ideas?
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
"Be Honest What is it" is one of the fastest tricks out there (well, about). It should be shorter than ambitious card.

Anyway, I would just tell them "We probably don't have enough time right now, I'll be sure to show you something later on when there is more time".
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1434 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
When on the spot like after a show or deadtime someone wants to see something with the cards, I have done in the past a poker tell routine, very similar to Darwin Ortiz's.

I just have to b----e p--k the top card & then force it.

When I don't have a deck or any other props I usually do Doug Dyment's Sign Language.
Self concept is destiny..
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Twisting the Aces (Dai Vernon - explained in Stars of Magic and ETMCM), Timely Departure(John Bannon-Smoke and Mirrors book & video). These 2 effects are 100% impromptu and blow away anybody. Also consider some effects from Art of Astonishment:Improv Nightshades, Unshuffling Rebecca (or the original Triumph), Stapled etc.
Andre
riberts
View Profile
New user
Yorkshire, UK
52 Posts

Profile of riberts
I'd perhaps go for NFW - launched with "I'll not use the whole deck, but if we just take the jokers..."

or a deck switch for an ID ...
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
NFW....good choice but you have to carry a gaff.

I would suggest a 3 card monte (of course the routines without a table).
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
artwo
View Profile
Veteran user
South England
332 Posts

Profile of artwo
Any card in pocket routine, or id vest the card (if I'm wearing a shirt.)

anything with a simple plot.

--art--
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
If you had the card for Chicago Opener, you could of just dropped the card on the floor. (Whit describes this in detail in his Chicago Opener notes.)

It hads a nice effect to it, and you don't need a table to do it.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I've learned that Here Then There is a quick, stunning killer of an effect. That's the one I've been going with lately when I find myself in these situations.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I agree with a card in pocket or any effect where a card changes in his hand usind a DL or top change.
Personally though I don't know the name of the effect but a spectator selects a card and returns it. You remove 5 cards from the pack and shows it to him. He holds the pack and tells you his card and then you are left with 4 cards in your hand and he has his card reversed in the pack.
Alternatively you hand him the 2 jokers and the card magically appears between the jokers.
Sorry for my lack of names here.
riberts
View Profile
New user
Yorkshire, UK
52 Posts

Profile of riberts
Quote:
On 2004-05-10 11:03, James Harrison wrote:
If you had the card for Chicago Opener, you could of just dropped the card on the floor. (Whit describes this in detail in his Chicago Opener notes.)...

I'd never seen this alternative handling but like the sound of this a lot - the lack of a table actually helps in that it eliminates spec's picking up the card too early and discarding the rogue card is completely natural. Thanks for this!

Quote:
On 2004-05-10 11:11, Firedice27 wrote:
I've learned that Here Then There is a quick, stunning killer of an effect. That's the one I've been going with lately when I find myself in these situations.

Is this the same as what I think is called Here And There - the in their hands two card transposition? If so I also do this fairly often as a quick attention grabbing opener.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I always say " I don't know any tricks, but here's something amazing...."
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Do you know the "Jumping Gemini" routine? Or perhaps, "Twins". or a simple force a card then read their mind type effect.

And remember, YOU are in control! You could simply put the cards away, and say "I'll tell you what's REALLY amazing! I've been working on this little trick with a half dollar, (Or whatever props you happen to have in your pocket.) Just remember, You are the master of the situation, and YOU know what's "best" for them to watch!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
MrBiddle
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of MrBiddle
Be Honest What Is It
and Here Then There can be a perfect marriage.

Do Here Then There first, and say, "You wanna see how its done?" and then do "Be Honest"

;)

:wavey:
I would, however contest that there is in REALITY very little pportunity to perform what could actually be termed "close-up" magic.
- Guy Hollingworth
fib
View Profile
Inner circle
1535 Posts

Profile of fib
Jay Sankey's "Paperclipped." Numero Uno.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
For cards, I always do Card to Forehead with a TC finish to seriously blow them away.

By the way, to take the sting out of this trick and to put the laugh on myself, I usually say, when they realize where their card has ended up, "Don't feel bad! Think about how I feel, having to do this for a living!"

Hope this helps!

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
If I have my own deck on me, I usually do Card Warp. The preparation only takes a second or two of misdirected conversation and you are ready to go.
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
OUT of THIS WORLD! Aldo Colombini's version called " Its a Small World" or Kundalini Rising.

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
davidtan
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of davidtan
Ungimmicked three card monte always goes down a treat..
Magicman8
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
113 Posts

Profile of Magicman8
One thing that I normally use when somebody asks is maybe Two Card Monte, or, more often, A La Anneman, by Paul Cummins.
We go through life backwards. The past is visible and the future is cloudy, it seems we are walking backwards.-- Terry Pratchet
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » "OK, so show me a trick!" (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL