The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Direct mail vs phone/mail (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

General Practicioner
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of General Practicioner
There was an interesting article in this month's isue of the Linking Ring by Julian Franklin.
He is a major advocate of direct mail as am I. However he had an interesting slant on it. I got the impression that he wasn't one for phoning people. He felt that they would ask for promo material anyway so why not start that way in the first place.

Of course I have heard the other point of view that you will get stronger results by phoning first, then mailing as requested then following up again by phone.

I do believe this but it does take more time.And if you are calling long distance it can get expensive. I would estimate that the time taken to do this with say ten prospects would be as much time as you would need to mail out to a hundred people without any phoning of any kind.

I will also confess that I detest phoning people cold. I expect there is more validity to this approach if you are dealing with people that are used to dealing with entertainers such as agent, cruise lines and comedy clubs. I still feel uncomfortable with it although I will force myself to do it if I have to.

But which way is the most effective? By outright mailing you will reach more people more quickly but by phoning, mailing and following up you will obviously get more results from those few people you call than if you were just to mail to them without calling but you do reach fewer people so it evens out in the end.

It's the time factor that I wonder about. Of course if you have a limited list perhaps you should phone and mail combined.

I really don't know. I do know a lady magician who loves talking on the phone so is a natural for cold calling. Her husband can't get her off the phone in fact. She swears by cold calling and she mails afterwards with a follow up.

I hate the phoning. I force myself to do it. However, after reading the article in the Linking Ring I am wondering if I have to. Or am I looking for a cop out excuse?

I would be interested in getting feedback about the matter.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Quote:
On 2004-05-08 12:17, General Practicioner wrote:
There was an interesting article in this month's isue of the Linking Ring by Julian Franklin...
I hate the phoning. I force myself to do it. However, after reading the article in the Linking Ring I am wondering if I have to. Or am I looking for a cop out excuse?

I would be interested in getting feedback about the matter.


OK, I'll bite. Dave Dee is a HUGH fan of direct mail and his course teaches it well. However, even he admits that the response rate is AT BEST 3 to 4%. That means if I have a good direct mail piece, and he suggests 4 pages, I have to send at least 1000 pieces per mailing (again Dave's numbers on minimum mailing) I have a return of 30 to 40 responses.

Now these are just responses. I then have to call and close the deal. Again with Dave's figures he says you will close 10 to 20% of responses, so I have (use the larger of the figures) 8 shows from a mailing of 1000.

It has cost me about $320 to print the 4 pages, plus $370 to mail the 1000 envelopes plus the cost of the envelopes (maybe $20) bringing a cost of mailer at $710 plus any cost of having your piece designed by a graphics designer.

David Ginn in his book "3 Ways to Book A Show" says thet there are only three methods of booking ourselves and he lists them in the order of least effective to most effective with 3 being the least effective.
3. Direct Mail
2. Phone
1. Personal contact

Seems to me that direct mail has its place but talking on the phone is better and in person is the best. I call to "find out who to mail my materials to" and at the same time do my sales screening. If this is a company or place that could use me or shows an interest in me then my promo kit goes out followed by another call.

Just my thoughts.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7437 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2004-05-08 12:17, General Practicioner wrote:

Of course I have heard the other point of view that you will get stronger results by phoning first, then mailing as requested then following up again by phone.


This is what I do.

I find a higher response rate by doing a prospecting / information gathering call first, and then mailing.

Note, I do not do a cold call. My purpose is not to sell them at this point in the process.

My purpose is to get the correct name and address, and "permission" to mail to that person. If they are expecting your letter, they will be much more receptive to the offer in it.

Also, you have targeted your offer to the CORRECT person. No sense in mailing to a generic title, or the wrong person. Qualify your suspects first. Aim your offer to the decision maker.

One follow-up call is what I do, if I have to leave a message (either with a person, or on an answering machine). Don't bombard them with calls, if they don't return your call.

By doing it this way, I find a higher response rate to the offer. (Sometimes a response rate of 25% to one lead generation call / letter / follow-up call sequence.) So, less money is spent on postage and literature to achieve the SAME bookings results.

Sure more time on the phone is involved in doing it this way, and that might be an issue to some performers. However, a business with a personal touch will just about always out-perform a business that doesn't have a personal touch.

- Donald.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
General Practicioner
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of General Practicioner
Thank you for biting, Paddy! For a little while I thought I was going to be all on my lonesome trying to figure this out.
Hopefully there will be quite a thread going now on this to my mind important topic.

I do have the David Ginn book in front of me now and he doesn't seem to say that any method is better than another. He seems to say to use all three. I get a feeling though that he likes to talk on the phone. Some people have a natural bent for that. I certainly don't. I am even reluctant to call a company just to get their mailing address.

I am not a fan of the Dave Dee style of Direct Mailing. I did try it for a while but in the end went back to my own systems which worked quite well.Sometimes I use the fax back idea that he advocates and indeed it is effective. However I tend to agree with David Ginn when he says that your phone number is enough. I get better response if they phone me rather than if I have to go through a two stage process of getting them to send me a postcard or a faxback thing.

I find your cost analyis and result estimate pretty accurate. You must be psychic! I do indeed get about 8 to 10 bookings out of a 1000 piece mailing. It costs me a bit more than you said because I will often pay a company to send the stuff out rather than deal with it myself. It costs me around $1200 to send out a 1000 piece mailing but I am paying extra to have the company deal with the hassle of the mailing. I just deliver them the labels and the mailing pieces and they do the stuffing and return addressing. They will supply the envelopes and postage.

However,I should mention that I am going out for the corporate market and also other higher paid venues when I do this. Usually from $1000 to $1500 per show.Therefore the return is worth it.

I will also mail to venues where the money is much smaller. I am not proud! I am just as happy to do a library or a day care for $150 as I am to do a corporate gig for $1500. (Obviously there are dangers of dates clashing but we won't go into that now.)
However here I do have to be a lot more careful about the expense of mailing. I mail out to fewer numbers and do not employ the mailing company.

I mail out to past clients and that brings results.

My trickiest mailings are for trade shows. Expensive and risky. I may have to send out 1000 pieces to get a trade show.Even then it might not pan out. Of course it is worth it when it does because the money at a trade show is terrific and you often get that client to book you again and again not to mention you get exposure to other trade show exhibitors.

I am glad I do not phone people cold to get trade shows. I would find it hell on earth. Just me. Mind you I bet it is not just me. I am sure that I am not the only timid soul out there.

But to the phoning. I am not denying that phoning and mailing and phoning again will get better results PER PROSPECT approached. I am wondering if the time involved brings the same result.

In two hours I am sure I can send out a 100 piece mailing. I will probably get one booking out of it. If I were to phone, mail and call again I think it would take me about 2 hours in total time to get through to about 10 people at the most. Probably 6 people would be more accurate. I bet I would still only get one booking.

You can probably tell that I am desperate to find an excuse not to phone people.

Another thing I don't like about phoning people cold is the "positioning" aspect of it. I feel like a beggar seeking favours. It is harder to get the same money I think. I would far rather they phone me.

I have done it your way. Phoning people, sending them a mailing then phoning them again (or copping out by sending them an e-mail). It has always been purgotary for me. It seems to be the way when contacting agents I imagine. I used to be an agent at one time (not a very good one!) and I would get acts phoning me all the time. I always used to get them off the phone by telling them to send me something. I used to read it and file it away for future reference. It was indeed useful.

However, if an act would (rarely) send me something without phoning I found it just as useful. No more and no less. In fact I am not sure that I ever booked anyone just because they phoned me.

Sometimes I found that an act would want to visit me personally. I always shuddered inwardly at this and told them not to bother. I said their material would be enough.

The only time I visit someone is if they want to book me for a trade show. Even then I don't like it but I will do it if I have to. Luckily the main office is so far away that I don't have to.

If some booker (apart from a trade show prospect) requests me to come in and see them I will always refuse. My time is far too valuable to drop everything at the drop of a hat to go and see someone. It is usually a cattle call anyway. I utterly refuse to compete with other entertainers in a visit situation.

The Dave Dee course will say that I am wrong. Still Robert Bly (a non magician marketer) says that I am right. He even charges people a fee if they want him to come in and visit. That soon scares them off.

Once I start to talk I never finish. Ignore me. I am just thinking out loud. I will let other people have their say now.

Thank you Paddy for your input. I will give it some thought.

Donald. Thank you for your response also. I have only just seen it.

I should explain that many of my prospects are out of town so the cost of phoning will soon equal or even outweigh the cost of mailing.

I am also concerned about the time involved. The time, the time, the time.

Furthermore I am not sure about the "personal touch" either. I expect that the person who gives the information may not be the one who recieves the package anyway. And even if he does he or she may perceive it as being a nuisance rather than a "personal touch".

Of course I know perfectly well that I am wrong. I just want an excuse to avoid phoning people. I was hoping the Linking Ring had given me one.

I am wondering about the point you make concerning mailing to a title rather than a name. I know this is standard wisdom but I do see a snag. What happens when you want to mail again to the same list? Very oftent he person will have moved on. Are you supposed to phone up again to find out the name once more? I would rather not bother. The thought of phoning say 100 people on a list just to find out if the person I want is still there would be purgatory for me not to say time consuming.

I think I would rather mail to a title and hope for the best. This is what I do most of the time and it seems to work out even if it is not supposed to.

I suppose you could mail to the name and the title so in future years the letter would get to someone or other who could book you. If the person had moved on it would still get to somebody important.

I will agree that an actual name is better than a title in the sense that you will get a better response. I will indeed mail to a name if I know what it is without driving myself crazy making phone calls.
Sometimes a name does indeed come with a list.

That name won't always be there though if you want to mail out again.

I know very little about marketing and just do the best I can. I sometimes read about it but I find that the "experts" often contradict each other. Sometimes common sense is the best way to go.

I do swear by direct mail. I swear about phoning too but I must say that it is a different kind of swearing.
Creative Coach
View Profile
Loyal user
Anderson, SC
294 Posts

Profile of Creative Coach
As a fulltime school & corporate presenter for 20+ yrs. let me offer a different slant. We direct mail markets in 7 states. I send a one sheet flyer with a tie to my website. We mail 5000+ pieces at least 6 times a yr. I do NO follow-up! I make NO calls to get the name. (A lot change yr to yr) Schools are mailed to the Principal.

I get a great return and sell about 97% of the inquiries. (I give great phone and some you'll never sell: TOO BROKE) This marketing keeps both my education & corporate calendar booked 4-6 months in advance.

I'm not of fan of the Dave Dee form of marketing or traditional marketing. In my market we hit them fast, with benefits and testimonials, and leave our competitors in the dust!

So don't worry about the phone. But I treat the people that call to inquire like gold! By not prospecting but selling I have more time to spend with people that are really interested in my services and I close the sale!
General Practicioner
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of General Practicioner
Thank God!
I now have an excuse not to phone people. John is now my new hero.
I am like one of those people who go to a psychic reading who has already made their mind up but simply seeks confirmation that they are on the right path.
I am certainly interested in what Paddy and Donald have to say and they may well be correct.

However, they are not telling me what I want to hear even if they are 100% right.

John is and he is now God unto me. He has taken the weight of the phone call off my shoulders. And also the guilty niggling feeling that I have been having about mailing to a title rather than a name.

A couple of questions though. I notice you come from Atlanta. Do you know Dave Dee and if so how much work does he actually do in the area?

Two. Do you deal with agents and if you do would you recommend the same approach of not phoning? Same thing for cruise lines, party planners or comedy clubs. In fact anyone that is used to dealing with entertainers on a regular basis?

Three.Are you the same John Cooper that came up with the clever idea of the birthday party fan club? I suspect you are because the chap had a Georgia address.

Four. If you are the same John Cooper do you still do kid shows? Or do you do adult work? Or both? And would you say that your approach works with corporate adult work as well as kid shows?

I must say that the one page flyer idea has me reeling in celebration. I have often that this might work. A lot less hassle mailing anyway. Yet I have always hesitated on the grounds that this is not the "proper" way of doing things.

Please sign me up for your magic marketing course immediately even if you don't have one.
I suspect you are too busy working as a performer to put one together just yet.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2004-05-09 14:17, Creative Coach wrote:
As a fulltime school & corporate presenter for 20+ yrs. let me offer a different slant. We direct mail markets in 7 states. I send a one sheet flyer with a tie to my website. We mail 5000+ pieces at least 6 times a yr. I do NO follow-up! I make NO calls to get the name. (A lot change yr to yr) Schools are mailed to the Principal.

I get a great return and sell about 97% of the inquiries. (I give great phone and some you'll never sell: TOO BROKE) This marketing keeps both my education & corporate calendar booked 4-6 months in advance.

I'm not of fan of the Dave Dee form of marketing or traditional marketing. In my market we hit them fast, with benefits and testimonials, and leave our competitors in the dust!

So don't worry about the phone. But I treat the people that call to inquire like gold! By not prospecting but selling I have more time to spend with people that are really interested in my services and I close the sale!


Than was very generous of you to share that inside information to us!!!!!!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7437 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
So, John, I have a couple of questions for you.

If you mail 5000+ mailings, 6 times per year, that's 30,000 pieces per year to that market.

How many responses do you get from that many mailings alltogether?

And, what is your percentage response rate?

I think your idea is fine, but I also think that this needs to be examined in context.

Direct mail vs. phone. It's all time vs. money. If you have more money, then do lots of direct mail (sequence). If you have more time, then do the calls.

I discussed sending 200 letters, and booking 50 shows!

If you had the same rate of response (25%), then mailing 30,000 letters would net you 7,500 shows, right? Smile

- Donald.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
General Practicioner
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of General Practicioner
I would also like to ask John a question. If he mails 5000 pieces 6 times a year are they the same 5000 pieces (probably not ) to the same list (probably)?

Or is he mailing to 30,000 different names?

I would love to get 50 shows out of a mailing of 200. I am lucky if I get 3. However my way takes me 4 hours if I do it myself or no hours if I get someone else to do it.

Donald's way (if I understand him correctly) takes him about 20 hours if I have worked it out right. 4 days if he were to work 5 hours a day at it. Not much time for doing shows by the sound of it.

Of course I do believe that if your market is birthday parties only then you shouldn't be doing much marketing at all. If you are not working steadily after a couple of years at it then you have to be doing something wrong somewhere. Word of mouth and recommendation is king here, I imagine.

I will be fascinated to get John's further observations on the matter.
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Palm Bay, FL
382 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
Here are couple of other forms of marketing;

>Position Marketing

>Permission Marketing

>Mischief Marketing

All three are cheaper. They may take longer but they will build a stronger and lasting relationship with your clients.

If you don't know what they are, look them up. Do a word search on your favorite engine.

I use all three in my magic2motivate training.


Steve Hart
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
"Motivational Magicians are some of the highest paid magicians, find out why?"
Creative Coach
View Profile
Loyal user
Anderson, SC
294 Posts

Profile of Creative Coach
Quote:
On 2004-05-09 15:29, The Gr8 DonaldD wrote:
So, John, I have a couple of questions for you.

If you mail 5000+ mailings, 6 times per year, that's 30,000 pieces per year to that market.

How many responses do you get from that many mailings alltogether?

And, what is your percentage response rate?

I think your idea is fine, but I also think that this needs to be examined in context.

Direct mail vs. phone. It's all time vs. money. If you have more money, then do lots of direct mail (sequence). If you have more time, then do the calls.

I discussed sending 200 letters, and booking 50 shows!

If you had the same rate of response (25%), then mailing 30,000 letters would net you 7,500 shows, right? Smile

- Donald.


Donald,
We have a set marketing campaign that works for me. It keeps my calendar full and money in the bank. Every mailing pays for itself and keepsmy calendar full. Cathi & I just purchased a 1978 sq ft home with a seperate 580 sq ft office in Anderson, SC t must be working because my wife works with me and we've made a VERY comfortable living off entertainment for 20+ yrs fulltime!

I don't worry about methods. I worry about results! As long as my calendar is filled and my banking account is full I'll let someone else worry about responce ratios!

My technique works for me!

GP asked: I notice you come from Atlanta. Do you know Dave Dee and if so how much work does he actually do in the area?

Yes, I was formally of Atlanta, GA. I worked the market for over 20+ yrs fulltime. I NEVER encountered ANYTHING about Dave Dee. No daycare shows, schools or corporate work EVER! I've only heard about him thru his course.

Question 2: Do you deal with agents and if you do would you recommend the same approach of not phoning? Same thing for cruise lines, party planners or comedy clubs. In fact anyone that is used to dealing with entertainers on a regular basis?

I've NEVER dealt with agents. My calendar stays too full to fool with them. They wait for the phone to ring just like 90% of all entertainers do! A great presentation makes the phone ring. Great referrals makes one busy!

Question 3: Are you the same John Cooper that came up with the clever idea of the birthday party fan club? I suspect you are because the chap had a Georgia address.

Yes, I am! Ripped off many times by other so called "kidshow experts" but it served me well for over a decade!

Question 4: If you are the same John Cooper do you still do kid shows? Or do you do adult work? Or both? And would you say that your approach works with corporate adult work as well as kid shows?

I no longer do birthday parties or daycares. Paid my dues and moved on. Now I do primarily education and corporate markets as a professional speaker.

GP wrote: Please sign me up for your magic marketing course immediately even if you don't have one.

I believe marketing is designed for the individual entertainer. One size doesn't fit all. I do offer private coaching. Check out http://www.CoachingForCreatives.com

GP wrote again: I would also like to ask John a question. If he mails 5000 pieces 6 times a year are they the same 5000 pieces (probably not ) to the same list (probably)?

Or is he mailing to 30,000 different names?

Same piece to the same 5000 names. Branding my identity over and over!
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I worked with John for a few months. He really helped me and had some good ideas. if you guys are really needing to build your business then I would hire John for some coaching today!
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
pikacrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
387 Posts

Profile of pikacrd
This is all very interesting to me as I am an avid marketing buff, I love the study of marketing and the practices of marketing almost as much as I love to entertain. With all of that said and out of the way I would like to chime in with some real results of my own that I am in the process of doing an analysis on at this moment.

I should start off by stating that when doing a marketing campaign for the holiday market I send out to only my established client base or people that I have done some type of entertainment work for within the last 12 months I do not go after Cold contacts. I start my marketing within this base in most cases 5-6 months in advance. My reasons for only attempting to work within my established base are mostly because I really do not want to have to do that much traveling over the holiday season, and the fact that over the last several years I have determined that I have a higher rate of success. My current market base is in the area of 250 these are publicly traded and private business, public administration, local government, and private citizens. I sent out 250 pieces of mail this year and had contact in return from 52 of them or for you numbers guys about 21%, of this 52 I booked 27 shows (about 52%) ranging in dates from Mid November to Jan 01, 2005. What I would like to point out here is that of the 27 shows that I booked 100% of them were because I was able to make phone contact with the deciding member of the organization that I was attempting to get booked with. My total time spent on the phone was 6 hours and that is including working out the details of the show i.e. pay, time, date, etc. I have a phone plan that gives me 100 minutes of long distance for $10.00 a month I used 42 of those minutes contacting my clients the remainder of the minutes were local and did not cost me any more than my standard phone rate. So over all I feel that the phone is my friend when working within my existing client base.

But here is where my little story gets interesting, I was booked with contract to do a show on New Years Eve at a private party being thrown by a large family in my neck of the woods, and they had to cancel because of some family tragedy or something, they agreed to pay me the deposit on my show for my trouble no questions asked. So what did I do? I got on the phone within my existing base made 1 phone call to someone who I did a show for last year and asked if they had plans for there annual NYE celebration, and if they would like the opportunity to book me for the event, the answer yes a big bash was scheduled and they were glad that I called because they had misplaced my prior mailing and wanted to see if I could work the event. I was booked without even having to negotiate my pay because I agreed to do the show at the same rate that I gave them for the last show I did for them (by the way the last show was a longer show booked at my full rate so I am coming out very far ahead of the game). By the way it is a strange coincidence that I read this thread today because this happened today.

All in all I think that the Mailing is a good idea but making the most out of your mailings with some phone work added in really is what pays off for me. I also think that targeting your campaigns is very important within your marketing, as well as using the best marketing materials that you personally can. I am a huge believer in employing marketing firms to help you with the design of your materials if at all possible. I understand that this can be expensive and is not within everyone’s reach but even if it is not I have found that going to a college campus and meeting the professors and some of the students that are involved in the marketing programs can be a great asset in getting your promotional material done at a great rate and in some cases it may cost you as little as dinner and drinks.

Cheers
Kris
“Indubitably, Magic is one of the subtlest and most difficult of the sciences and arts. There is more opportunity for errors of comprehension, judgment and practice than in any other branch of physics”. William S. Burroughs 1914-1997 American Writer
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1867 Posts

Profile of kenscott
So did you make the other family pay your deposit for canceling?

Ken
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7437 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Thanks for the reply, John, and the informative post, Kris.

Its good to know that each one of us can discover the success that is uniquely ours, and do marketing in the method that we prefer. John seems to have a way that works well for him, and Kris seems to have a way that works well for him, even though their methods vary.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
pikacrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
387 Posts

Profile of pikacrd
Ken,

No I did not make them they offered. Here is the thing, I have a contract that was drafted by an entertainment attorney who represents a lot of bands and other acts that mostly work in the wedding industry, and on his advice I have a deposit clause in my contract that states that if the client should cancel the show they are entitled to a full refund of there deposit as long as sufficient notification is given of the cancellation (14 days prior to the show). I booked this event back in September after I had done my Mailing and Phone work, a deposit check was received by me and is held until the day after the performance and is deposited along with the balance of the money for the act only after I do my work.

I do not get that many cancellations maybe 2-3 a year, and usually those acts are recovered on a different date, so the deposit is just held until I work the next event for the client. I tend to have a lot of repeat business doing events over and over for my clients so I build relationships with them over the years. In building these relationships I know that I am going to catch a lot more business when my clients are happy and do not feel that I held there feet to the fire on contract issues. So I very rarely ever have to worry about this type of thing coming up as an issue. This particular family who I have worked for several times in the past felt that because of the short notice that they wanted to allow me to cash the check as there way of saying “I am sorry for canceling”. I made several attempts to tell them that it was not that big of an issue and that I would be happy to just work there next event even if it was next year, they said that indeed that they would hire me and that I should call them for booking in the next few months when things settle down for them but as there way of saying sorry and happy holidays to keep the deposit and have a great New Years Eve. They are a very old fashioned group who respect there word even if they are given the opportunity to back out. In not wanting to disrespect them in anyway (because I have a lot of admiration for them and the way that they do business and have succeeded in life) I deposited the check. The part of all of this that is important to remember for me is that these people are a dieing breed, they are the type of people who respect others and will go out of there way to make sure that if you are working for them that you are treated with fairness and respect and given all of the tools that you need to succeed. You do not meet a lot of people like this family much these days and it is a pleasure to work with and for them.

I will add that I do have the contract and take a deposit because of the fact that I have run into situations where I have taken on new unknown clients and have not been treated with a lot of respect, I have had clients cancel on me when I arrived at a venue because they have gone over budget I have even had people tell me that they could not pay me when I arrived at an event and still expected me to do my work in the hopes of generating new business at the venue. This can become a huge waist of time for me so as a form of protection I treat what I do as a serious business with written agreements. We are in a business that a lot of people just operate on a handshake and a smile and get burned for it, and why should that be? Bands or DJ’s who are entertainers have contracts, catering companies use contracts, even limo companies have contracts so why should we as variety acts not use them? I feel that it is the responsible and professional thing to do but with that said I also think that it should be tempered with as much respect as you can possibly have for yourself and the person that you are going to be doing work for. Like I stated above I would much rather build a relationship with a customer than keep a $500 deposit. I honestly believe that if more Magicians used contracts and operated as a business entity that Magicians as performers would get more respect than we do. But that is a discussion under a different topic so I will end by saying if you treat your marketing as a business than why not complete the package and make everything that you do as an entertainer part of that business?

Sorry for going on for so long but I felt it important to give you some insight as to why I kept the deposit and why I use contracts in general.

Cheers
Kris
“Indubitably, Magic is one of the subtlest and most difficult of the sciences and arts. There is more opportunity for errors of comprehension, judgment and practice than in any other branch of physics”. William S. Burroughs 1914-1997 American Writer
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
Personally I believe the extra time taken to obtain the name of the correct person to send your information to is time well spent. If you send it to the wrong person and it doesn't wind up in the hands of the right person you have wasted your time, materials and postage.

Martin Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1867 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Good for you for not taking the deposit.
I don't belive I would have taken it as well.
Ken
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I agree with Martin. Part of why I received a 26% return rate on my festival mailing last year was simiply because I did not just do a mailing... I did a mailing to contacts that has been qualified by me personally.

What this meant was several things:
1) I made a contact list via research online as well as papers in my area and the phone book sources.

2) I made a simple cold-call to each of these places. Keep in mind that the cold call was NOT selling to them. This is an important concept. I simply stated who I was, that I wanted to send info. to the person incharge of booking entertainment for their events for possible consideration. It was simple as that.

By doing this, I was able to find out that my initial contact info was 50% of the time innacurrate or not the appropriate decision maker. By doing this process I now got the decision makers, name and phone number and e-mail address.

It only took me a minute to make a phone call bu t the difference in return rates grew substantially from this.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Direct mail vs phone/mail (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.47 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL