The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » Sexism and magic (redux) (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TomB
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of TomB
We use to joke that the prettiest girl in the Copperfield audience would be selected on stage. Absolutely, females are picked for eye candy. I would argue that more attractive people generally means you had a more successful act.

That is not just magic. That's everywhere. All things being equal, the more attractive person will always get the job. Many studies have been done on this. It pays to be pretty. It is not just a female phenomenon. Better looking males will always get the job as well.

We cannot fight human nature. In fact, when I goto a show, I don't want to see average people. When I watch movies, I want better looking characters.

Women are not picked because they are weak, or feeble minded. That is reading way to much into it. If anything, an old white guy is getting picked for those stereotypes. They usually can handle the poor treatment that goes with weak, and feeble minded character.

Sure young men are picked for strength. Because they are physically strongest. If you want two people tugging on Rope (pendragons rings a bell) showing they are strong, you grab two guys.

Next year, I plan to have my daughters perform a chair suspension. I already am telling them to pick a girl with long hair. The long hair adds the best visual, and typically females weigh less. Am I being sexist? Or do I understand what creates the best illusion?

I'd like to see a study on the people picked verses where they sit. My wife refuses to sit in the first few rows because she does not want to be picked. There also is eye contact. Are men more quick to look away?

I think it's extremely sexist to think men pick women based on weak women characteristics.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2066 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Quote:
I think it's extremely sexist to think men pick women based on weak women characteristics.

Except it is definitely taught that way.

I can't even remember how many times I've been told by performers (lectures/videos) or read it in books. "Select a good volunteer, preferably a woman." Women are taught to comply from an early age. They are taught not to make a fuss or cause anyone to be embarrassed. Therefore they are more likely to simply go along with whatever they are told to do when they are put in the spotlight. Men are taught to be brash and bold, and therefore are more likely to think they're being funny if they cause problems.

If you can't see that you're either not paying attention or willfully ignorant.

Quote:
I'd like to see a study on the people picked verses where they sit. My wife refuses to sit in the first few rows because she does not want to be picked. There also is eye contact. Are men more quick to look away?

I can't speak universally of course, but for sheer practicality I've often chosen volunteers from the front row and/or aisle seats. That way I don't have to try to fill time while someone shuffles their way from the middle of a row to the aisle and up to the stage. If I'm using someone in the middle of the crowd, I often go out to them while I'm talking to reduce the chance of dead time.

In my experience, men are not quick to look away. Usually they are the ones watching most closely.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Feminine Mystique » » Sexism and magic (redux) (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL