The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin gets stuck in Boston Box (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
I have a boston box with an issue, a coin will get stuck in the bottom without any blue tac or other adhesive. It is machined like a locking shell so the coin is gripped in the recess, then I have to use my okito box as a bang ring to free the coin.

I can't remember the manufacturer of this box but I believe it might have come in a white box with with sticker on the lid, I remember a picture of the box on a red background. Inside was the boston box in a white styrofoam holder. Although I might be confusing it with my okito box packaging, I cannot remember.

I am hoping to find a boston box that does not have this issue. Will I be safe with Johnson, Kueppers, Tango, Bazar de Magica? Or what other do you recommend? thanks
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Not sure of the one you have, but to my knowledge most do not stick, unless you make it to do so with tape, tac, etc. I don't think you would have such a problem with one from Johnson's or some of the other makers you mention here. I've had one for decades now, probably a generic one I got from a magic shop in NYC...The half dollar don't stick in it.

Funny, I just found my old one a week or so back now and had almost completely forgotten how much fun the little box can be. Smile It's a really nice closeup effect where you can do as much or as little to it in making a nice trick or routine of it.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2018, Mb217 wrote:
Not sure of the one you have, but to my knowledge most do not stick, unless you make it to do so with tape, tac, etc. I don't think you would have such a problem with one from Johnson's or some of the other makers you mention here. I've had one for decades now, probably a generic one I got from a magic shop in NYC...The half dollar don't stick in it.

Funny, I just found my old one a week or so back now and had almost completely forgotten how much fun the little box can be. Smile It's a really nice closeup effect where you can do as much or as little to it in making a nice trick or routine of it.

Thanks for your help! I will try one of the others I mentioned, I might go with Johnson.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Can’t go wrong with Johnson’s.

Good journey to you. 😊
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Signet
That feature can be very useful. Especially. If you're doing the shake turnover. If you buy another box, you could still use this be for the classic effect.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Have you tried different coins in the spot? It is possible that particular coin is the problem - or - are you sure it was made for that size coin and not a similar (yet smaller) coin from another country (like the very slight difference in a Kennedy Half and an English Penny.

Also, If you do go the route of buying new. Check all the specs before you buy. Will the box take a shelled coin? There are effects that use a shell in the box yet many, if not most, do not take a shell. This can also be an issue if it just fits a half, it might not take an Eng Penny or a C/S. The Roth sets (when you could get them, took shells. I have a set now that does (Okito, Boston and Slot) all with lids. Most "sets" only have one lid for all 3 boxes.

Just a couple more things to think about before you spend your hard earned money just to find cool effects that your box wont work for.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Emory Kimbrough
View Profile
New user
Tuscaloosa, AL
94 Posts

Profile of Emory Kimbrough
Brass is a soft enough metal that it can be fairly easily sanded, particularly so for the small amount you need to remove to create a looser fit for that coin. It might take a little patience, but just run some sandpaper around the box's recess until the coin fits the way you like. If you can scrounge up some short rigid tube slightly smaller than the diameter of the recess, affix sandpaper around the end that tube to make a quick sanding tool. If you own, or can borrow, a rotary tool (Dremel tool), use that with a drum sander or a cylindrical grinding stone - you'll expand the diameter in just seconds. A drill with a sanding-drum attachment will also do the job quickly.

Also, inspect the recess very closely to see whether it is even the slightest bit out of round at any spot. One drop on a hard floor can do that, and the microscopic ding can cause a bind. If you can see a subtle deviation or can detect that the coin binds preferentially at a particular spot instead of binding evenly around the entire circumference, then just sand away material in the offending area. I just did this a few days ago to repair a brass Coin Casket that suffered from the secret lid binding.
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2018, Signet wrote:
That feature can be very useful. Especially. If you're doing the shake turnover. If you buy another box, you could still use this be for the classic effect.

I was wondering if it was a variation on a boston box that intentionally locks the coin. for what I want I just need to be a regular boston box. I am hoping to learn Stay at Home Coins by Mark Leveridge however it might be too difficult to learn.
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2018, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Have you tried different coins in the spot? It is possible that particular coin is the problem - or - are you sure it was made for that size coin and not a similar (yet smaller) coin from another country (like the very slight difference in a Kennedy Half and an English Penny.

Also, If you do go the route of buying new. Check all the specs before you buy. Will the box take a shelled coin? There are effects that use a shell in the box yet many, if not most, do not take a shell. This can also be an issue if it just fits a half, it might not take an Eng Penny or a C/S. The Roth sets (when you could get them, took shells. I have a set now that does (Okito, Boston and Slot) all with lids. Most "sets" only have one lid for all 3 boxes.

Just a couple more things to think about before you spend your hard earned money just to find cool effects that your box wont work for.

Most half dollars get stuck tightly in the recess. I have one half that doesn't get stuck as tight, but it still gets stuck. They are difficult to get out because there is not an actual bang ring for a boston box so I have to use an okito with doesn't actually seat the boston box like a bang ring would. I don't know what other coin would be so close to a half dollar.
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2018, Emory Kimbrough wrote:
Brass is a soft enough metal that it can be fairly easily sanded, particularly so for the small amount you need to remove to create a looser fit for that coin. It might take a little patience, but just run some sandpaper around the box's recess until the coin fits the way you like. If you can scrounge up some short rigid tube slightly smaller than the diameter of the recess, affix sandpaper around the end that tube to make a quick sanding tool. If you own, or can borrow, a rotary tool (Dremel tool), use that with a drum sander or a cylindrical grinding stone - you'll expand the diameter in just seconds. A drill with a sanding-drum attachment will also do the job quickly.

Also, inspect the recess very closely to see whether it is even the slightest bit out of round at any spot. One drop on a hard floor can do that, and the microscopic ding can cause a bind. If you can see a subtle deviation or can detect that the coin binds preferentially at a particular spot instead of binding evenly around the entire circumference, then just sand away material in the offending area. I just did this a few days ago to repair a brass Coin Casket that suffered from the secret lid binding.

Thanks Emory, I inspected it and do not see any rounds, but I will most likely buy a new box rather than attempt to sand it.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2018, Tim Friday wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2018, Signet wrote:

I was wondering if it was a variation on a boston box that intentionally locks the coin. for what I want I just need to be a regular boston box. I am hoping to learn Stay at Home Coins by Mark Leveridge however it might be too difficult to learn.

I'm not sure but I don't see why they would make one to lock the coin in place, especially when all you have to do is use a piece of double stick tape or blu-tac to make the coin stay on the bottom just as well-enough. I actually used to use the tape to do exactly that and it worked well if you wanted to use the deception of the Boston Box and not worry about the coin falling out. And I believe, I've also heard of magicians sometimes placing a coin in the bottom, and remove It all within a routine as they liked.

And as to the routine you want to learn, go for it! Smile You can do it! Smile

Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Friday, imo you have something unique. I wouldn't alter your box. Just develop a routine around the defect and have something that nobody else has. Then just buy another box for whatever routine, your trying now? Who knows, you may get famous using your error box? Good luck with it Smile
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
John Oaks
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of John Oaks
Quote:
On Dec 23, 2018, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
Friday, imo you have something unique. I wouldn't alter your box. Just develop a routine around the defect and have something that nobody else has. Then just buy another box for whatever routine, your trying now? Who knows, you may get famous using your error box? Good luck with it Smile

Brilliant!
Have a Magical Day!
------

I really didn't know how to explain it.
So I told them the truth, and they fell for it!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin gets stuck in Boston Box (11 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL