The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » I almost fell for it. (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20019 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
A password scam is what I almost fell for. No joking!

Long story short I get legal papers from our attorney often enough that it is not a thing. Sent secure and such for our protection.

We had a "thing" in 2010 involving one of our guys and old management. It has been a while since I talked with him, though he is still a friend and he called a while ago and I didn't have time to respond yet.

So when I get secure paperwork from our attorney I'm thinking "oh man what now"? Last time it was many thousands more than I wanted to pay lol.

So I go to get them done and it asks me to sign in with whatever google account and password. I do it. It doesn't work.

Fortunately the alarm bells in my brain start to go off and I immediately change all my passwords and scan with all the anti virus stuff and blah blah I'm safe. BUT I fell for it!

Mind you the email came from my attorney! HER account had been hacked! It was her actual email account. They even changed the signature to a different phone number. So it was a REALLY great scam.

I called to tell them and they asked if it was about the "spam" email. I told them no ir wasn't just spam it was a password fishing attempt.

So whoo hoo for me I got off the hook once they had it in my mouth.

So I guess the title in the thread should be "I fell for it".

Everything conspired perfectly. Be careful is the moral of the story.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Carducci
View Profile
Special user
Denver
538 Posts

Profile of Carducci
Thank you for sharing this! This is a great cautionary tale for us all.

If I may add a few suggestions to anyone reading this.

1. DO NOT use the same password for multiple sites. Get a password manager like LastPass, 1Password, or KeePass and generate a unique, secure password for every site you use. Passwords get compromised constantly and if the scammers get your "usual password" they have the master key to your entire life

2. Use two-factor authentication every chance you get. There are a lot of ways to do this and many services support this. Two factor authentication is a code, a device, or a text message that confirms that you are you, not just someone with your password. I have two-factor auth with my google accounts, facebook, dropbox, microsoft azure, oneDrive, twitter, bank accounts, credit cards, and more.

For most of my two-factor auth stuff I use a yubikey (http://yubico.com) but I use the microsoft authenticator app on my phone as a backup. Note that even though microsoft made the app, I use it for all my accounts that support app-based authentication (it's an open standard)
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1093 Posts

Profile of imgic
Wow...great story about keeping alert in cyber space. Thanks for sharing, and glad you caught it.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1247 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
STOP doing business electronically online. My wife before she was my wif,e did an internet search on me and found nothing but some of my schooling. In other words I'm a ghost. If anybody really wants help getting off the grid, I am here.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20019 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I'm not worried about getting off the grid, just being as safe as possible on it. But there is merit to the idea of not being on it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22240 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Last month Amazon and eBay were hacked, and were down for a very short time, information was taken from Amazon, but eBay did not say they were hacked, but only down for a few minutes.

I guess the Internet Hacker's were waiting, as I have been getting loads of phishing emails and some with my information only these stores have.

When you get an email from anyone or business, always note if it says "Click Here" or we want to verify information, delete the email, as junk and report it to the company they say they are. They are even sending fake survey's so be diligent.

Hacker's finally got with it and using the identical company logo, use to be just normal text, now they have the exact logos.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1247 Posts

OK well since Danny asked about "being safe" I'll offer but one very simple technique for a slightly lesser digital footprint. https://backgroundchecks.org/justdeleteme/ will help you get out of some sites you might wan't to escape from? Know that this is very basic and won't really do anything, if being tracked, outside the norm. I can chime in with more simple strategies, if there's any interest?

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20019 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Anything educational always has my interest. This sounds very educational.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1247 Posts

Lowering your digital footprint is step one but not having a digital footprint, is better. Just don't sign up on sites, because you want to share photos or something. Just send your pics to family and friends via email striped of there meta data and encrypted, before you send them. If you want a new anonymous identity? This site will help you create one https://www.fakenamegenerator.com/ DON'T try using the credit card info, as it won't work to buy anything but the information is linked to the bogus ID and can be used, for an additional identifier.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » I almost fell for it. (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL