The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » VEGAS DREAM coin set - Vanishing Inc. (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
I bought a set on the Café and I will give my honest review. Even if the coins aren’t best, I really like the take on the routine. I’ll review the teaching on the video too.
Blessings everyone in 2019! I’ll be back from CA to spend the weekend with my wonderful Son, daughter-in-law, and my 3 Grandkids! THEN, I’ll get the purchase and sent my review!
Steph
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1527 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
I had the chance to check out a friend’s Vegas Dream set today. The replica Morgan dollars look pretty darn good. The stickers look a bit metallic and I noticed a slight bit of scuffing on one of them already. Extra stickers are provided, I think they are going to be needed. Perhaps too quickly. Overall, this is a very nice set for the asking price. However, if I was buying a triple coin set today, having handled all makers’ products, I’d still buy John Jurney’s product.

Mark
Doing tricks can be easy, being an entertainer is much harder.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I hear from some good voices that these sets aren't half-bad, and actually a good alternative to higher priced sets. Nothing wrong with that, as I've always advocated for more reasonable prices as to these tricky sets...Hey, I even recommended them to a newer worker beginning his journey in this part of the art to take a peek. Smile

When John first put out his sets, he used stickers as well, but being and actual magician and quite a gifted engineer and craftsman, he came across a better mousetrap, so to speak. Smile He basically created a better product that got rid of all the challenges magicians were having with the stickers...He simply designed coins that didn't use stickers at all. It took some thinking, as there was nothing like it out there at the time. Also being a pretty good coin man, John experienced the same problems as others did as to the use of stickers and just figured out something better...much better, as mentioned by posters above. Smile And with that, he also gave variety to the product so that everyone could afford them, from replicas to actual real coins, there was something for everybody. Even the absolute in-between in using cheap real Ikes as to actual currency, without the silver cost that causes real Morgans to shoot the price up. With the Ikes, you could have yourself a real set of coins for about the price of a good-looking replica Morgan set. Smile

Now with this new Vegas Dream set, there is a new option, which actually goes back down the old road, but at an even cheaper price point...Not a bad idea if you can get some real quality out of it. So now, even more people can afford these sorts of sets. That this seems to be useable enough, it would be yet another option for people to perform this stellar routine. Nice that you get two ungimmicked replica Morgans with it, that lends itself to greater routine or another routine all together. Of course, adding 2 coins to any of John's variety of his clever "Coin Coalition" sets will allow you to do the very same things.

And it's good to see that many that have gotten this new set, already have John's set and can give further analysis as to comparison, quality and play. It all gives people a better view and understanding of what's out there and what might be best for them. What might be good for now to start, and or what's available when you can better step up a bit as to the same concept of good quality and value. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Anyone put "optically clear" PFTE (teflon) tape over the stickers yet to help prevent sticking/scuffing or do these not lend themselves to that?
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
The tape can be applied and would work yes sir
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
611 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
I wounder how many of these set made it out into the wild before they were pulled from shops.
National First Vice President
The Society of American Magicians
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
If it’s only because of the 2 extra included coins- then a simple re release without those 2 coins still makes this a value. Those 2 extras are easy and inexpensive to get elsewhere -
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
FROM THE L&G Thread:
Quote:
On Jan 1, 2019, Bluether Magic wrote:
One staff quitted from our company and stole our technology of producing coin gaffs. He start to produce this product but it is total copy of Johnny Wong’s super triple coins. That’s why that it was discontinued.

This seem to be the reason it was pulled from the market. So either the company he “stole trade secrets / Mfg techniques “ from fussed enough to have it pulled (most likely IMO) or Wong had it pulled as a direct copy - or— he had it pulled ‘along with’ the company whose former employee did this.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Just makes no sense as there are MANY of these out there and no other sets that were released had any issues hitting the market. Strange
miltos
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of miltos
I would love to buy it,weird that that they stopped it.
mtstic44
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of mtstic44
If you have the John Jurney Triple Split Set you can do the Vegas Dream.
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

Mtstic44:
The Vegas Dream routine “technically” can be done with Jouney’s coins. But, the fact that certain maneuvers will ‘talk’; mainly because JJs coins do not have stickers (which quiets sliding and clicking - those who have the routine know what I’m talking about). You possibly could add Optically Clear PTFE tape to JJs and make them usable, but you’d have to try it. If you work in a noisy venue, then no worries.
So, Vegas Dream “apples to apples” will work perfectly with Johnny Wong’s.

BTW: the regular coins match perfectly with the “Wild Coins”. So you can have the extra coin for the ‘clean up’ option at the end of that routine.

Later,
Steph
Jerome BMC
View Profile
New user
Switzerland Vaud Denges
12 Posts

Profile of Jerome BMC
Hi! Like I promised you here's my feedback of Vegas Dream. I received the coins this monday and I can give you the point of view of a machinist. The replica Morgan are very nice made, they look the same as a silver Morgan dollar coins. Diameter is about (0.05 inch) (39.4mm) bigger than silver Morgan dollar . All parts of the triple coins lay prefectly flat together with a perfect magnetic balance. Each one is 1.00mm thin.One negative point: the stickers give an adhesive feeling, that's a little bit bad when you want to slip the split coin, maybe some parafine,or something else will be needed to have a perfect use. In view of all this points I can say that this gimmick is very nice for a good price
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

ZAZZLE.COM has quite a good supply of Poker Chips & Chinese Coin 1.5" Round Stickers (Can choose Gloss or Matte!) if you don't like the ones that come with this set. Search "Split Coin Stickers" are setup by someone who already had the idea!

Jerome BMC: I agree with the comments that the Morgan Replicas are high quality. The fact that these do not have any marking showing "copy" on them MIGHT be why they produced them almost 1/16" bigger than real Morgans. (But I'm no expert on counterfeiting currency laws - maybe someone knows and can comment)

Blessings,
Steph
Jerome BMC
View Profile
New user
Switzerland Vaud Denges
12 Posts

Profile of Jerome BMC
Yesss you must be right for the size
cerberusdog
View Profile
New user
OH
8 Posts

Profile of cerberusdog
It appears Vegas Dream is only a dream now. Can anyone recommend a similar reasonably priced product for a newbie to learn with? Thanks
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
No coins to it, but "Sucker Punch" seems to be priced similarly with a lot of the same sorta magic to it. Smile

Good journey to you. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

BTW: Vegas Dream Coins vs. Wild Coins (Both from Bean's Magic)...I'm posting in both threads FYI.

Wild Coins:
Comparing the Replica Morgans between this set and the Vegas Dream Set (Both Bean's Magic)
Wild Coins uses Replicas of same size - maybe possibly 1/64" thicker than thickness of genuine Morgans. These Replicas weigh 23g vs 26g genuine. Genuine Morgans and Ikes fit in the Copper gaff with 100% edge coverage.

Vegas Dream Coins:
Morgan Replicas that are slightly larger diameter (approx. 1-9/16" = +1/16") and Thicker (approx. 5/32" = +1/32"). These weigh 28g vs 26g genuine. These visual comparison of the Replica Morgans to use the "extra coin" cleanup of the Wild Coin set finale (those who have it, you know what I'm saying). Just don't get it mixed up with the other Vegas Morgans because it will NOT fit into the Copper Shell, due to the larger diameter.
I DID apply Optic Clear PFTE tape on the Poker Chip stickers. It improves the play; much easier to work with them.

Vegas Dream Coins vs. Roy Kueppers Transient Coins (Eisenhower):
I do not own Johnny Wong DFS set so this is the only comparison. "Mechanically" similar, you just have to add stickers instead Teflon.
Roy's work is superior to Bean's of the thickness of the stack and the "working" side of each coin have a large / smoother / flush gimmick. But with over the double price ($40 vs $100), you get what you pay for. Plus, Roy's are actually available! LOL

Blessings,
Steph
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

...Also...
I messaged Bill Cheung and asked whether or not Vegas Dream Coins are going to be in stock again? he said yes, in March.
So if anyone missed out, looks like they will be available again.
Later,
Steph
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
544 Posts

...And More...
I have watched the instruction many times and I’ve noticed a couple of video errors that could have been enough to reshoot the instructions:
1) Video starts with a “what’s in the box”. The Gaff shows it Heads, Heads, Tails (Actual gaff is Tails, Tails, Heads)
2) Instructions over-the-shoulder view handles Right-Handed moves. Front-View (spectator perspective) instructions are left-handed moves.

The combination of those things makes learning and following the instructions with coins supplied, VERY DIFFICULT!

If anyone has it, take another look. If you have worked on this enough, you’ve definitely hit a couple snags where you start saying “Wait?...this?...coin or this orientation?...restart”

I think this is the real reason it got pulled. To fix the errors.
Thoughts,
Steph
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » VEGAS DREAM coin set - Vanishing Inc. (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL