The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » L&L Publishing - The NEW "Netflix" of magic? (33 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Morganjj
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Morganjj
"How do you all feel this will change the magic landscape?"

That's a big question, but it's also got to be taken in the broader landscape of what magic is in culture these days, and what youtube and instagram mean in terms of magic moving quickly through communities AND becoming more visual AND being easier to break down for lay people.

I think the right performance approaches for the current landscape are being evolved at the moment, but I don't think they're set in stone. Things are changing, and changing fast.
King14
View Profile
Loyal user
243 Posts

Profile of King14
Does anyone know the best way/program to transfer My L&L DVDs to a hard drive? I am not an expert on this stuff and some way simple would be great.

Thanks for any help.
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
150 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
Generally it is just a click and drag action.

Open the DVD drive, select the folders, and drag them to your designated storage place.

That is how I backed up my DVD's.
Life's like a movie, write your own ending...
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1257 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2019, King14 wrote:
Does anyone know the best way/program to transfer My L&L DVDs to a hard drive? I am not an expert on this stuff and some way simple would be great.

Thanks for any help.

https://handbrake.fr/
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1033 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2019, MagicAcademy wrote:
We just posted the following videos!

Classic Force ............... R. Paul Wilson
Comedy Rope Trick ..... Ted Leslie
C & R Rope .................. Dan Harlan
The Classic Force ......... Daryl Martinez
Cups & Balls ................ Al Schneider
Lady Rope Routine ...... Michael Finney
Cup & Ball ................... Daryl Martinez
The Hindu Basket ........ The Pendragons

More Barrie Richardson, please.
dman11
View Profile
Special user
PA
527 Posts

Profile of dman11
Quote:
On Jan 13, 2019, King14 wrote:

Thanks for any help.

Look into an app called Aimersoft converter. This will also convert those DVD files into smaller files and take up a fraction of your hard drive space - it comes at a cost though. It will be one long file with no menus. Or you can rip it up into sections.
tjackson8685
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of tjackson8685
Could anyone tell me if the subscription allows you to download any videos onto a tablet/device so you can watch while offline on a plane or do you have to steam in real time? Thank you.
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
150 Posts

The site does not have a download option. Otherwise someone could pay for one month and download the entire library for $10.

There are ways you could save the videos, as there is always a way but for now streaming is the word.
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
1886 Posts

Profile of iamslow
I spend more on starbucks on a daily than the monthly fee...if you look there is also a similar site that allows you to stream your favoirite fitness dvds that cost a lot more than magic dvds....i think its the way to go nowadays...
"Everyone is tough till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
RedDevil
View Profile
Inner circle
Deep South
1175 Posts

Profile of RedDevil
Had the impression that L&L was going to be adding videos constantly to get their library up based on Sisti’s initial post. Even with technicalalities inherent in posting streaming vids, there has been very little outward evidence of effort in the past two weeks other than one major add/update of a few more video segments. The interface is not very user friendly and especially not smart phone friendly. I am rarely on Café being critical of any company or anyone, but they released a service that looks half built and it appears that early subscribers are subsidizing it. I think I would be fine with it if the company would just be transparent on what its timeline and scope of content will be. I also hope that they will work on improvements of the content’s org structure and streaming interface on the webpage. But at this rate, with little apparent effort (at least from the consumer point of view; if you are
doing more behind the scenes, please let us know) to show increase in content and with no clarity of what content will be offered, I am concerned that this project will have diminishing value. I realize some will say that for 9 dolllars I have access to a few hundred tricks and that we should be overjoyed. I agree. But that’s not my point. From the announcement, it appeared we were led to believe that L&L’s library would be available by streaming and that thousands of videos were coming and updated weekly. Don’t tell me that I am going to get something for my money and then when I don’t tell me that I should be happy with what I did get. If that is not the plan, what is the plan? Then at least consumers can decide based on transparent and accurate advertising.

My questions are:
1. Does L&L intend to upload its whole library for subscription or just part of it? If only part, how much specifically?
2. How long will it take? At the rate I have seen of adding content in the last 3 weeks (very little since the initial launch), it will take years.
3. Can we get a detailed update of next steps on the scope of the service?
4. It was said that early subscribers would be locked in at a lower price that they originally signed up for. What is the projected price for later adopters? How long will early adopters have to wait to see significant additions of content?
5. Is the company aware that the org of content on the site is awkward and not device friendly? Any plans for upgrading the website?
F-F-U-L-Ri-F-F-Li-R-U-F-F
RedDevil
View Profile
Inner circle
Deep South
1175 Posts

Profile of RedDevil
One more thing. I want to reiterate that the post above is not meant to be an angry or unfair attack as we so often see on Café. I rarely say anything critical whatsoever on Café as I hope most people that read my posts will attest, and if I don't like something I usually just keep my mouth shut, right or wrong.

I was initially excited about this project because I have been waiting for it for over a decade, being a prolific customer and fan of L&L products for so many years (at least 25 or so). My recommendation as a consumer of magicacademy is to update its customer base with its plans so we are not left to wonder on our own. Even the front door of the website says "There are over 200 videos available now with thousands on the way added weekly." Well, this statement has been on the website for what, 3-4 weeks? If I am wrong, I will acknowledge it. Is this really going to happen? Or is it half-hearted? Just let us know.

Or maybe there is a technical problem. I just say, let us know what it is.

I guess if I am critiquing anything, it is the communication coming from the actual company itself. For right now, all I have paid is 9.99, so in the short term I have excellent value for my money even with the poorly designed website (IMHO with all respect). But that is not what the company said I would receive, "thousands on the way added weekly."

Final thoughts, I think, considering the content and our art, that $9.99 per month is too low. If I were offering the service (and I know I am not), it would be similar to Penguin's lecture strategy. Buy the cost of a DVD per month (around $35) and get them all via streaming. That will keep the content more exclusive and in the end be just as lucrative for L&L.
F-F-U-L-Ri-F-F-Li-R-U-F-F
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
150 Posts

The $9.99 is the introduction rate as they work out the bugs and continue to build the site.

I expect they will be adding more as they work out the logistics, and once fully active to raise their rates.

I joined mostly to support the concept as only a few of the video performances fit me.

I have spent more a month for access to technical manuals online (Safari Books) so this remains a no brainer for me.
lord_wallmotto
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of lord_wallmotto
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2019, chosen1 wrote:
How do you all feel this will change the magic landscape?

What are you guys' thoughts.

Best,
Brandon

Nothing will change.

People with a vision and strong work ethic will always find a way. Those people will also realize what it takes to become a great magician and do their research and put the time in.

The rest will continue on as usual but in a different way. Instead of waiting for the next Ellusionist och Penguin release to play with before getting bored on moving on to the next new toy, they will just wait for the next streaming video to be released on one of these new streaming services or on youtube.

The majority of magicians have always been "collectors" who collect new material instead of putting in the hard work. Some of the best and most amazing sleight of hand techniques is between 100 to 50 years old, but how many can do them correctly? VERY few. People get bored quickly and move on to the next thing instead of putting the time in.

Same old, same old.
glennn
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of glennn
People have mentioned that the $9.99 price is an introductory rate. Has it been published what the likely non-introductory rate is planned to be? How long does this introductory rate last?
disgruntledpuffin
View Profile
Elite user
i have nothing to say about my
428 Posts

Profile of disgruntledpuffin
Quote:
On Jan 20, 2019, lord_wallmotto wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 12, 2019, chosen1 wrote:
How do you all feel this will change the magic landscape?

What are you guys' thoughts.

Best,
Brandon

Nothing will change.

People with a vision and strong work ethic will always find a way. Those people will also realize what it takes to become a great magician and do their research and put the time in.

The rest will continue on as usual but in a different way. Instead of waiting for the next Ellusionist och Penguin release to play with before getting bored on moving on to the next new toy, they will just wait for the next streaming video to be released on one of these new streaming services or on youtube.

The majority of magicians have always been "collectors" who collect new material instead of putting in the hard work. Some of the best and most amazing sleight of hand techniques is between 100 to 50 years old, but how many can do them correctly? VERY few. People get bored quickly and move on to the next thing instead of putting the time in.

Same old, same old.

Which is fine. There's room for everyone, and no one should feel like their way of enjoying magic is less legitimate than someone elses.

Puff
dman11
View Profile
Special user
PA
527 Posts

Profile of dman11
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2019, glennn wrote:
People have mentioned that the $9.99 price is an introductory rate. Has it been published what the likely non-introductory rate is planned to be? How long does this introductory rate last?

When they have more material out there I'd join at 9.99 but if its going to cost more than that - I'm out.
chosen1
View Profile
New user
lots of places
43 Posts

Profile of chosen1
I appreciate your thoughts lord_wallmotto, and I can't say that I really disagree with them. Magic is an art with a lot of ways to explore. Some love literature, some love old posters, some love to collect methods and knowledge, some love to perform, some want to make it a career. All of them are valid. Different strokes for different folks as they say.

What I do believe could happen is an interestng numbers game. As you mentioned in your post the "majority" of magicians won't use this material to do anything else other than to "collect it." But the majority is not everyone. I beleive having this incredible material available in an easily digestible way, and a way most understood by the current generation will help inspire a new wave of magicians. It won't be everyone or most or even half, but I do think there will be some. These lucky few will now have the benefit of all the giants whose shoulders we stand on being lined up for them in a pyramid.

There is something to be said for making people put in effort to learn an art like magic. It takes hours and tons of dedication to reach competency. But by making those few first steps easier I think we can stack the odds in our favor that the next, great magicians will have the necessary tools needed to thrive. Going to the gym is hard work. You have to really want it, but if there was a fence around the gym that you had to climb just to get your work out in, even fewer peple would go.

I believe that is where this idea really shines and I'm curious to see how it will play out.

Best,
Brandon
We should all be in a constant state of wonder
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4649 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Well, I got an "official" email from L&L yesterday about the site and entry level pricing. I guess they feel they have it ready enough for a "full release". I'm sure there is much more content to come and prices will eventually rise but at least they are satisfied enough to send out an email to those on their list.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
150 Posts

Quote:
On Jan 31, 2019, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Well, I got an "official" email from L&L yesterday about the site and entry level pricing. I guess they feel they have it ready enough for a "full release". I'm sure there is much more content to come and prices will eventually rise but at least they are satisfied enough to send out an email to those on their list.

All I received was a notification of payment the other day, was this from L&L directly and not for current subscribers?
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4649 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
It came from l&lpub@aol.com (same as I get my emails from on their non ePub site. It was an introduction to magicacadamy streaming. I actually got it at 7:20pm est on Tuesday eve. The email was a brief description of the service with the starter price. I am not yet a subscriber so I guess it went out to non subscribers as well as anyone on the L&L email list.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » L&L Publishing - The NEW "Netflix" of magic? (33 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL