The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Is magic just a lie? (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Says you to a stranger:
Would you like to go see a movie?
Would you like to see a play?
Would you like to watch me paint a picture?
Would you like to see a magic trick?
however, using magic while you are talking with someone might get you a different response.

Quote:
On Dec 31, 2018, Dougini wrote:
My sister said the same thing. ...She cannot stand show-offs. Yet she is a fun person! She told me to leave my magic at home...

magic tricks don't need to look like you're showing off.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
341 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
When I do carry a few effects in my pocket or in a small carry case, I first size up the situation before I attempt to perform a magic trick or two for someone.

If I do not feel comfortable or do not get the correct vibes so to speak, I just do not bother.

Of course, on the occasions I do not take any tricks along with me, someone always asks me to do a trick. So...I have a few I can usually do with things within my reach. Household items so to speak.

I always say that I am willing to perform some magic for anyone willing to watch and mean that literally!
weirdwizardx
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of weirdwizardx
I think it depends on how you define what magic is...
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On Dec 27, 2018, kardistic wrote:
...I was talking with a stranger the other day and wanted to show him a magic trick, but he just said "no" to me, because magic is just lies.
The good part is you asked. The line about caring how much you know applies here.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
How many times did Malini let a block of ice melt in his pocket because the time wasn't right? This is the art of the lie. At it's worst it defrauds. At it's best, it creates wonder. It is our job and goal to know the difference and bring that to life.
Ray Pierce
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
To ask if magic is a lie is to miss the point of performance art. Willie Loman dosen't really die in the play. Is it a lie every night?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On Dec 27, 2018, kardistic wrote:
I was talking with a stranger the other day and wanted to show him a magic trick, but he just said "no" to me, because magic is just lies.
If you're working doing strolling magic: Real question- Can tough audiences be won over by seeing how well you treat other audiences? What would happen if you agreed and then asked if they'd like to watch you lie to the folks at the next table?

If this is social rather than professional then they've told you about a boundary in their life.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Willie Loman dosen't really die in the play.

He doesn't really exist, either, while we're at it.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2019, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Willie Loman dosen't really die in the play.

He doesn't really exist, either, while we're at it.

Another LIE! Good point.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TomB
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan, USA
330 Posts

Profile of TomB
When you ask someone if they want to see a magic trick, and they respond, Yes, then you have permission to ethically deceive them. They understand that you are an actor playing the part of a wizard with supernatural powers. They want to be fooled.
TomB
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan, USA
330 Posts

Profile of TomB
I like this link from Penn and Teller
https://youtu.be/cTrcUp2-NjA
TomB
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan, USA
330 Posts

Profile of TomB
The book The Magic of Michael Ammar has a chapter on psychology in which he discusses lying. It might be worth looking at, they might have it at a local library.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2019, TomB wrote:
The book The Magic of Michael Ammar has a chapter on psychology in which he discusses lying. It might be worth looking at, they might have it at a local library.

Also a great book in general.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
EternalNameless
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of EternalNameless
Magic is about temporarily melting the ego as per Buddhism, psychedelic trips, extreme suffering leading etc leading to "ego death" Paul Harris talks about this in the final interview in the True Astonishments 9 DVD set as well as the Art of Astonishment books. It is hard to explain since language is limitation and only a pointer. One might describe it as the natural state, presence, living in the now/moment, oneness with all life. This is why we and others love "magic" ie the lies/deceptions your spectator is complaining about... "It's all made up."-Paul Harris, True Astonishment final interview. There are many books on/videos on this. P.S Those mushroom wizards things on the Harris DVD's and other mushroom pics are most likely about psychedelic mushrooms which some might consider a "shortcut" to ego death without years of suffering or meditation. Harri's ego death story was of being stressed so badly while writing a script that at some point his mental anguish led to state of astonishment of the ultimate mystery of being. But again words fail...Peace
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
What is wrong with lying? What do you mean "just a lie?" Lies can mean life or death.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
If storytelling is lying then magic is a lie. If storytelling is entertaining then magic is entertaining. It depends on the story you tell and why you're telling it.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
A magic trick is a con and the audience is the mark. The more complicated the magic trick, the more the mark is drawn in.
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Lying is an essential life skill, and we should train our children how to do it correctly.
johnw
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of johnw
Quote:
On Sep 28, 2022, Pop Haydn wrote:
Lying is an essential life skill, and we should train our children how to do it correctly.

Teaching a 6 year old to do a simple trick (Imp bottle), I demoed the effect then showed her how it worked and how to perform it.
She said "well that's not magic then is it!"

Knowing magic isn't actually real was probably a good lesson in itself I suppose.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Dec 16, 2022, johnw wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 28, 2022, Pop Haydn wrote:

Teaching a 6 year old to do a simple trick (Imp bottle), I demoed the effect then showed her how it worked and how to perform it.
She said "well that's not magic then is it!"

Knowing magic isn't actually real was probably a good lesson in itself I suppose.

I don't see where her response indicated that "magic was not real" - only that what you showed her did not fit.

Sometimes we pretend at magic. Other times we use trickery to accentuate a magic truth. I see magic every day in life and applaud. Other stare at a tiny electronic screen - an artificial view.

Yet, I wear glasses to get a clearer view of things, well knowing that what I pretend to see is part imagination and part experience.

It is trick I can show anyone. What you see is not more or less real. What we see is not magic. That fact that we are both here to see and communicate about it, might be.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Is magic just a lie? (22 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL