The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin Maintenance (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Emory Kimbrough
View Profile
New user
Tuscaloosa, AL
94 Posts

Profile of Emory Kimbrough
For anyone considering using toothpaste - Whitening and tartar-control toothpastes are more abrasive. They will shine quickly, but create more of a matte-finish shine. Sensodyne, and similar products, are less abrasive and produce more of a mirror finish.

I actually like Nevr Dull, but it does leave an oily coat, as Masterallen mentioned. For things other than coins, that slick film prevents tarnish and rust, so it's a good thing. For coins, though, just wash that slippery coating off with dishwashing detergent - it comes off easily.
ValeCavaliero
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of ValeCavaliero
I just leave my coins in lemon juice and water for an half hour, then rub them lightly
Masterallen
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Masterallen
Emory, I actually have a stack of coins. One I used never dull on and the other I used sensodyne on. The never dulls oily coat wore off and you are correct the tooth paste is a matte finish and never dull is shiny. I’m now thinking both are good choices and good hygiene.
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1405 Posts

Profile of Jerry
"Mothers" mag and aluminum polish.
will lane
View Profile
Veteran user
Will likes to post so he has made
339 Posts

Profile of will lane
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2019, Jerry wrote:
"Mothers" mag and aluminum polish.
I just used some and came here to talk about it! It seems to work great and its cheap. I used it on some 70's half dollars and it shined them up greatly, it looks almost like they are fresh from the mint. I did a test on a 40% silver half dollar and then shined up the rest of my set. It took some of the "white" out of the coins, but that will come back over time. They look great.

It depends on your preference. Shiny coins catch the eye, but it makes the coins harder to distinguish as well. With a shiny coin, it is kind of like you are looking into a circular mirror. A duller coin may not catch the eye as much but the coins are easier to distinguish.
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1405 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Agree, if you want you coins to look brand new and shiny use this polish.
I believe it to be non-abrasive. Cheap, $7 to $10 will get you a life time supply.
Widely available in any automotive store or automotive section in your favorite big box store.

I have also polish my coin boxes.
This is great for all metals, not just Aluminum. The best I have found so far.
erichoudini
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of erichoudini
If anyone can recommend a proven, safe way to restore copper coin gaffs to their original shine without making them slippery I would appreciate hearing from them. Thank you.
Eric.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Wright's Silver Cream - non-abrasive and works great. https://www.amazon.com/Wrights-Polishing......&sr=8-13

Jim
erichoudini
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of erichoudini
Thank you Jim.
Eric
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin Maintenance (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL