The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Boxes, tubes & bags Ľ Ľ Egg or Golf Ball - Egg Bag discussion (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1622 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2020, Andy Young wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 29, 2020, Alan Munro wrote:
Too often, when I performed for kids, they'd point out the egg was fake, even if a blown egg was used. I'm not going to argue with a kid, so I use a practice golf ball. For adults, I can use an egg.

I always use the line,

It's real alright. Real fake!

Then bounce it off my table. Works for me and it has never diminished the magic.

I've been performing the egg bag routine for many years. Most times the kids knows that the egg is a fake one. It's not about the routine that you put together that uses the egg and bag to entertain your audience.
I would knock the egg on the table to prove that it is not a collapsible one.
Ricky
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Cafť Columnist
SF Bay Area
2917 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Back in the late 60s, when I was a kid starting out and experimenting, I worked out a routine with an egg bag, an egg vase, and a rubber fried egg. The idea was that I "accidentally" broke the egg inside the bag, so I passed it over a lit candle for a moment (ha! try that nowadays!) and pulled out the fried egg. My routine was published in The Linking Ring sometime around 1968, give or take.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1217 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
I always use a fresh raw egg (and a Mardo bag). Some of the kids hollar itís a fake egg ó until I break it at the end of the routine.
MikeLarkin
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of MikeLarkin
Doubt a golf ball works very well with a Malini bag!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22896 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2021, MikeLarkin wrote:

You purchase a practice plastic Golf Ball from Wal-Mart or Jeff Hobson. There is no difference in the handling between the egg or Golf Ball.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1179 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2021, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Quote:

You purchase a practice plastic Golf Ball from Wal-Mart or Jeff Hobson. There is no difference in the handling between the egg or Golf Ball.

The Hobson Bag is not a Malini bag. I donít see a golf ball working well in a Malini bag either although maybe Iíll try it just to see. I know manipulation balls donít work... Iíve tried them! Haha
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22896 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2021, thomasR wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

The Hobson Bag is not a Malini bag. I donít see a golf ball working well in a Malini bag either although maybe Iíll try it just to see. I know manipulation balls donít work... Iíve tried them! Haha

Thomas, you are wrong on so many counts. If you had attended Jeff's appearances at magic gatherings and conventions, you should remember his egg bag was built on the concept of the Malini bag and handling. That is why his bag is called the Hobson Egg Bag.

Thomas, you are posting before you have any knowledge of the props.
MikeLarkin
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of MikeLarkin
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thomas, you are wrong on so many counts. If you had attended Jeff's appearances at magic gatherings and conventions, you should remember his egg bag was built on the concept of the Malini bag and handling. That is why his bag is called the Hobson Egg Bag.

Yes, but the material on a more standard Malini bag is thinner. They both have pros and cons, but there is no way you can get away with a golf ball in a Malini, as the weighting is quite different to a blown egg. I also think the circumference is more extreme with a ball.

You might be able to find those cheap hollow "golf balls" that you get with kids golf sets, I suppose. But the golf theme works better with one of those green Hobson bags anyway.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1179 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On Jul 17, 2021, MikeLarkin wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, but the material on a more standard Malini bag is thinner. They both have pros and cons, but there is no way you can get away with a golf ball in a Malini, as the weighting is quite different to a blown egg. I also think the circumference is more extreme with a ball.

You might be able to find those cheap hollow "golf balls" that you get with kids golf sets, I suppose. But the golf theme works better with one of those green Hobson bags anyway.

Agreed Mike. They are made very differently - I canít imagine a golf ball working in my Malini bag but Iíve never tried it.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22896 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, a practice Golf Ball purchased at Wal-Mart will work very well. No one is considering the difference. One is a practice Golf Ball, and the other is a Read Golf Ball used to play 9 and 18 holes of golf.

I agree, a real Golf Ball would be more difficult. Just like the difference between using a Chicken Egg and a Turkey Egg, or even an Ostrich Egg.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Boxes, tubes & bags Ľ Ľ Egg or Golf Ball - Egg Bag discussion (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL