The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hi all (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JimBeta
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of JimBeta
Hi, I am a new member. My age is 33 and I am from Belgium. I am just thinking about returning to magic again. I only think it is a shame that many magicians make references to demons. I am a Christian so that's why I am a bit afraid of it. I know that magic has nothing to do with demons but with trickery and foolery but I would not like others to think a demon has given me these "powers". This is maybe okay for most magicians, and it is probably necessary if you want to become very famous but I do not want any part of it.
I do understand that this demon thing is accepted by many magicians because in the end it gives the audience a reason to believe in something else then trickery. It makes it possible to make the audience believe that what you do is real and not a trick.
I understand that if you always say that it is a trick that it will lose a lot of the "magic" effect. So I am still thinking about how I would handle that.
Other then that I do not really know a lot about magic so I do not even know if I have a talent for it or not. I do not even know if I am going to go thru with it or not, I am checking webshops on the moment. Since I do not have any work on the moment I do not have that much money either. So yeah, my options are limited in that too.
I also do not even know I would dare to go into public with it. I bought magic items a few years ago and it was okay to make a video with them but like for instance, the Gecko, if you know that (I am sorry, you probably will know it lol) It did what it was supposed to do yes but I thought I would fool nobody with it. I thought people would see easily.
Another thing that pushed me back was the fact that some magic tricks just can not be given out to be examined without the need of switching the item. I am sure this will not be a problem for all of you but since I do not have any real experience it makes it harder for me to perform certain trick.
I learned from that purchase that I should investigate more what the trick is about, ask questions about it on forums and check the internet for all kind of information I can find about it before buying.
I spend 1000€ back then and to be honest, I was hugely dissapointed. Because to be honest, what I got was crap. But expensive crap. Yes you could make a video with it or maybe use it on a stage where nobody could rip the *** gimmick out of your hand, but it was not useable for going to a bar or unto the street. And when it was suppose to be useable for that, like the gecko, I just could not convince myself that nobody would see it.

So yeah, I do not know yet what will happen in the coming months, but I did wanted to make a profile already on this forum. I hope that is okay.

Greetings
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Jim, welcome to the MagicCafe. It seems that you have developed a misguided idea of magic, magicians and what we do. I don't know why you think many magicians reference demons in their performances. Even mentalists don't necessarily talk about demons allowing them to perform. We have all been disappointed with a purchase or two over the years but the more you learn about magic, the better you will be equipped to order items that fit what you want to do.

My suggestion to you would be to do some reading and investigation into our art, first to determine if you want to be part of the fun and secondly, to determine what you skill level needs to be to perform certain effects. I think you'll find that the majority of people out there believe everything is a trick and demons, really don't play a part. We have several forums that deal with magic in religious settings. You might want to read those topics to better understanding of just what is possible.
Where the magic begins
JimBeta
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of JimBeta
I seen posters from Houdini and many other magicians from the past that had at least one demon on them… I encountered many people that actually believe that people like david Copperfield are the devil himself. And I seen many people believe that magicians get their powers from a demon. Not the pull a rabbit out of your head magician but I seen many videos on YouTube refering to demons while talking about magicians and when I see the tricks they show in the video and the magician doing them, while saying that it is not possible in any way and so must have a supernatural meaning. I think that is funny because I seen many of the tricks for sale in magicshops.
But this is what some people believe. They want to believe its supernatural for some reason, some because they think its cool others because they do not like it at all. When that happens the magician has fooled them even without doing a trick. To be honest, to make someone believe a demon is giving you the power to do the things you do has to be the ultimate trick of a magician. But I do not really want to do that…
But I guess its a minority of people who think like this then. It makes me feel a bit better.

To be honest I do not want to have any person believe I get powers from satan or god. I am not stupid. I am a Christian as I said, God will not like me doing that. He will not like it at all.

that's the reason why I want to make sure to create some kind of character which has nothing to do with satan or religion and make sure I do all I can to not make people believe that it has to do with demon or God
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
The posters you've seen are publicity and not intended to give the impression that demons are behind the magic. Again, I think you are reading too much into this. As a magician, and billed as a magician, the only way the public is going to believe you are using demons is if you continually make reference that and not the magic. No one, other than extremely religious folks are going to believe you are using either God or demons. Magic is fun and should be portrayed as such. I don't mean it should be comical, but that the supernatural should be left out of your performance.

Again, read the forums we have on religion in magic and you should begin to see what I'm talking about.
Where the magic begins
JimBeta
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of JimBeta
But I said myself I do not want to put supernatural in it?
Ok I guess I must have decieved myself then when I saw all those people claiming they get help from demons on YouTube.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
If you don't want the supernatural in your performance, then don't reference it and portray your effects as magic and magic only. You can make mention of demons in certain situations or jokingly reference demons as helpers but don't make it seem like you are relying on demons. It's entirely up to you.
Where the magic begins
JimBeta
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of JimBeta
Like I said, I do not want to do that. I am sorry, it seems my english must be pretty bad because I thought I made clear from the start that I do NOT want to use ANY spiritual or supernatural thing when I would do magic.

So yeah… would not even joke about that stuff. Do not want people to get the wrong impression.
JimBeta
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of JimBeta
I am really sorry, I know you want to help but I really thought I made it clear I do not want to use demons or angels in my magic… so I do not really understand why you still think I want to do that.
But like I said, maybe my english is bad or maybe I misunderstood you. I am sorry.
Deckstacker
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny SoCal
442 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
Like JimBeta, I too have recently seen quite a few YouTube videos of performers (mostly Asian-looking young men) who imply strongly that their "impossible" effects must be made possible due to the aid of demons. Mostly their effects appear (to me) to be the result of sophisticated electronic trickery rather than good, solid workmanship/craftsmanship of the sort most of us have come to love and respect. My humble advice: Simply avoid viewing, "voting for," or otherwise supporting such bogus presentations. CGI can be entertaining in a good SF movie, but I'd still much rather watch a skilled cardician or coin manipulator any day. --Just my 2 cents' worth.
Never try to teach a pig how to sing. You will waste your time, and it annoys the pig.
JimBeta
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of JimBeta
I like sophisticated electronic trickery. I do not like any reference to demons or angels or whatever
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Jim, I understand what you are saying and your English is fine. All I'm saying is just decide what type of magic you want to do and work on it. You don't have to mention demons, Gods or supernatural. Just do your magic. There are 1000's of magicians who have probably never even used the word Demon. If it bothers you, don't do it. I don't like mentalism so I don't use it in my act but I don't go out of my way to put it down. I just avoid it.

You can't control how people think. If they believe you are using demons, no amount of denial on your part will change their mind.
Where the magic begins
JimBeta
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of JimBeta
Yes I know. That is the problem and Reason of my doubts I guess
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Jim!

Perhaps I can help. Scroll down to the Topic: "ASSOCIATION OF FAMILY & KID SHOW PERFORMERS". On 8/29/18, I wrote a post that is pertinent to your situation. READ THE ENTIRE THREAD!! It's all about ILLUSION.

I explain how I almost lost a booking due to a church group's problem about "devil worship" etc. A lady from the church was invited to see my show. She left very happy.

For YEARS, I've included in my show for adults and children, a presentation on how the senses work. I use a few standard optical illusions to demonstrate that magic is perfectly natural. Educators are PLEASED.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
JimBeta
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of JimBeta
Where can I find ASSOCIATION OF FAMILY & KID SHOW PERFORMERS?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Jim, just do what Dick said. Scroll down a little on the menu and you'll see "association of family & kid show performers.
Where the magic begins
JimBeta
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of JimBeta
Okay I am sorry to say I do not see the link. I read it. But its about illusion and what it is. I am sorry, I do not see the link with what I said.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
You need to read the entire topic to understand what is being said but here is the post that Dick is referring to.

Quote:
Donald mentioned my friend, Duane Laflin, above, and further noted that Duane often uses the term "illusion", in describing what he performs.

There's a reason for that. Duane performs for many church groups that relate "magic" to "devil worship, witchcraft, etc. Duane, and I have known each other since the early '90s. We met, and became "instant friends", when we both worked a weekend "convention" in the Lafayette, Indiana area. We have discussed the "situation" in which some church groups, equate magic with witchcraft, etc.

I mention in my book of almost losing a date in a school, because of this. I have used the illusion sequence mentioned above for almost 40 years, and, Duane does a somewhat similar presentation. to distinguish the magic that he performs, from witchcraft, and devil worship.

After seeing my program, a lady from the 'watchdog commitee" that had tried to get my program canceled, was quite pleased with what she had witnessed.

So, not only does the illusion routine get the kids "with me", and help them to realize that I am not there to get into a "contest" with them, but have FUN with them. Once they realize that I plan to fool them, WITHOUT MAKING FOOLS OF THEM. They tend to relax and enjoy the FUN.

Every time I open the program, using the illusion routine, I thank my old friends, Roy Mayer and J. B. Bobo, for suggesting it. I've never had to offer a bribe of a magic book, or, plead with a youngster, to let the other kids enjoy the program.

My magic show involves sleight of hand skills, sensory illusions, esoteric science principles, and a "whole bunch" of PSYCHOLOGY!

A wise old magician, the late S.H. Sharpe, said it well when he wrote:

"Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks, are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic
has been drained."

The late Jay Marshall, and I shared a bit of philosophy, that too many performers don't seem to understand, They seem to think that if they "buy" a new trick, and read the instruction sheet, they can do it in their next show!

Jay's son, Sandy, quoted his father in Jay's biography, "Beating a Dead Horse". Jay had written down the formula for adding a new trick to one's act:

1. Learn how the trick is DONE.

2. Learn how to DO it.

3. Find out how to DO it, so that it ENTERTAINS AN AUDIENCE.
Where the magic begins
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome JimBeta,

The whole demon thing is a lot of hogwash meant to impress gullible folks or just a put on character for fun. Most people don't take it seriously..

Many of the Posters you are referring to are relics of the past.

You don't have to do anything you don't want to.

- Mary Mowder
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Jim, you may want to continue this conversation in the food for thought forum where you have presented the same question and comments. Thanks for introducing yourself here though.
Where the magic begins
JimBeta
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of JimBeta
Ok I will
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hi all (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL