The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Sharing - An Original Object Lesson (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
Hey there! I just got back from another successful Sunday School session where I taught the concept of sharing to our 1st and 2nd graders. It's not magic, but it is an important lesson that teaches kids to share.

Here's an important tip for all of you that want to create a routine that really hits home. Strive to stir up some emotions. Make them feel confused or slightly angry and then try to solve the problem with Scripture or your message. I'm going to share with you the Sharing lesson that I just did and I hope you enjoy it!

A Lesson In Sharing
Props Needed:
-Enough Starbursts or mini candies so that everyone gets two.
-A Bible (optional)

Appropriate Bible Verses:
-Acts 2:43-47
-Acts 4:32-37

Performance:
I'll admit, we spoil our Sunday School kids. We bribe them with Starbursts so that they listen to the story and answer questions. So, these kids are used to getting them and it was no surprise when they saw me holding a bag of them.

If the kids don't already have an understanding of the Pentecost story, give them a brief explanation. If they're already familiar with it, refresh their memory. Tell them that after everybody started talking in different languages, Peter got up and made a speech and, at the end, told them about sharing.

"How many of you have a video game system? {They respond) How would you like it if I told you to give your X-Box or Playstation to the church. That way, if anybody could play with it if they wanted! (The kids will notmally object) You mean you want to keep that game system to yourself and not let anybody else play?"

"Well, you all have been listening really well. So, I'll give you some Starbursts to chew on for the rest of the lesson."

Take out the bag of candies and start handing one to each person. After a couple people get one, give one person two candies. Then, start giving out 3 or 4. When you get to the last person, dump all of the remaining candies in his/her lap (about 6 or 7). If everything works, the kids who only got one will start shouting, "They got more than me!" or other similar exclamations.

"Wait, wait, wait! Why isn't this fair? You just said that you wouldn't want others to have the same game system that you've got? Everyone has their own amount, that's all."

"All Christians should own things together, just like the people did after Peter gave his speech. Acts 2:45 says, 'Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need.'"

"There should be enough so that everybody gets two candies. Go ahead and share your candy until everybody gets two. Those of you that have more, give some to those who only got one."

Wrap up the idea of sharing and you have a powerful lesson here. It's amazing how well this works. When I dumped a ton of Starbursts into the one girl's lap, kids were yelling and complaining. But, after everyone shared and everyone had equal amounts, the room was silent and everybody was happy. It was just awesome.

Enjoy!
Dalqvist
View Profile
New user
Västerås, Sweden
17 Posts

Profile of Dalqvist
This sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing!
"Worship the Lord with gladness; come before him with joyful songs." (Psalms 100:2)
pastorclyde
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of pastorclyde
Great job Andini! Keep up the good work. Ever think about putting a collection of your children sermons together so that others could acquire them and either use them or modify them? If you do, put me down for your first copy. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Sharing - An Original Object Lesson (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL