The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Demuth Saltrix salt shaker (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
536 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Reading through Lane and Grant's "They're Off" there is an effect that says to use DeMuth's "Saltrix." It is a salt shaker that can be used to secretly produce some object(s). Anyone know were I can find a detailed description of the salt shaker? The Lane and Grant pamphlet mentions the main feature but no details, as it assumes you can go out and buy one -- maybe in 1935!

Oh, here is the description:
"A magician seated at a table shows his left hand empty, mentions that he likes salted peanuts, but that they never have quite enough salt on them, so he picks up the salt cellar, closes his left fist, shakes some salt in the fist, opens his hand, and there are a lot of salted peanuts. He puts a little more salt on them and starts to eat them. If he isn't a hog he will pass some to the company."
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5346 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
It is a neat little item and for sale up to the 60s (when I got mine). I haven't seen one for sale even on the vintage magic sites in years.

I've sent you a PM.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22559 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I reckon you are not wanting to purchase the prop, as I see you like to make things yourself. We can't address magic secrets on the open forums.

I did a little searching and you might find some info if you go to the Learned Pig Project and look up Demuth Saltrix.

Here is a picture of the Al Baker Salt Shaker, from the early days as well. I know it is not the Demuth, but again similar.

https://www.ktmagic.com/Auction/APViewItem.asp?ID=661

I can only suggest you take a look at Vernet Ethereal Salt Shaker, not exactly the same as the simpler Demuth from 1935, but similar.

http://www.vernetmagic.com/producto/ethereal-salt/

docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
536 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Thanks, Bill, for the info. The ethereal salt shaker is on my to-buy list. I would possibly buy the Saltrix if it were still available.

But yes I like to make things too!

Couldn't find any info on Saltrix on TLPP (lybrary.com site).
indomagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of indomagic
I used to have a gimmick salt shaker which use to produce a silk. Maybe this similar method to Saltrix.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1797 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Is the Demuth "Saltrix" also the same thing that was also marketed as "Demuth Salt Shaker" and "Salt-Sational" by Demuth?

See Ed Mishell's review of Demuth Salt Shaker in Genii -

Ed Mishell review of Demuth Salt Shaker

and these photos of the Demuth Salt Shaker/ aka "Salt-Sational" -

Demuth's Salt-Sational Salt Shaker

If anyone has one of these shakers they would like to sell, let me know . I own one (as you can see in the photos) but I would like a back-up.

----
FrankFindley
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
In The Jinx No. 16, January 1936 there is an article on adopting DeMuth's "Saltrix" to a tobbacco pouch. The working is pretty clear from the illustrations.

It does seem the same/very similar to "Salt-Sational".
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1797 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2020, FrankFindley wrote:
In The Jinx No. 16, January 1936 there is an article on adopting DeMuth's "Saltrix" to a tobbacco pouch. The working is pretty clear from the illustrations.

It does seem the same/very similar to "Salt-Sational".

Thanks for the confirmation.

I found an interesting reference to De Muth's "Saltrix" in Genii, July 1938 in the column "In the Marketplace of Bagdad Where the Merchants Gather" , which says:
"Kanter is selling 'Saltrix' , the trick that is proving so sensational in Dai Vernon's hands."

For years I was under the false impression that the salt shaker I had was Tannen's "Salt-Go". This is because I purchased it from Tannen's when I was a kid , promptly lost track of the original instruction sheet , but have continued to use the shaker over the years since then. In my mind because I had purchased it at Tannen's and Tannen's sold a salt vanish called "Salt Go" I thought that was what I had. However, discussing Salt-Go with someone who had it I realized that the way the gimmick was delivered into the hand is different in Tannen's Salt-Go from the version I had (although the gimmick is similar size and shape). Then I just recently came across a copy of the instructions for a trick called "Salt-Sational" credited to De Muth. It's the same shaker that I have. The instruction sheet says it is a "P. Cinimod Release". No idea who P. Cinimod is. At the beginning of these instructions it says: "We are now proud to be able to offer this streamlined modern version of the classic salt trick by De Muth." For whatever reason , P. Cinimod decided to call it "Salt-Sational" instead of "New Improved Saltrix" or "Streamlined Saltrix" , or "Streamlined De Muth Salt Shaker", but it seems to be the same thing as De Muth's Saltrix , which Ed Mishell reviews as "De Muth's Salt Shaker' in the March 1965 issue of Genii, without noting that it was previously called "Saltrix'. The "De Muth's Salt Shaker" Mishell is reviewing was released by Lou Tannen. So it seems to have had three separate names: "Saltrix" when originally released by De Muth in the 1930's, then as "De Muth's Salt Shaker" in the 1960's , and finally as "Salt-Sational" in the 1970's. I'm not sure what exactly the "streamlined modern" addition is to Saltrix in the case of Salt-Sational , as I can't imagine how the original could have differed much from the Salt-Sational shaker I have ... I suspect the only difference is the style of salt shaker used , which may be different than the salt shaker originally used by De Muth when Saltrix was released in the 1930's ?

Salt-Sational uses this style of "waffle cut" shaker which has been used in diners for decades.

Click here to view attached image.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Well now that is as definitive as it gets. Great detective work, David. You've clearly earned that pipe. Smile

mtchdtn
View Profile
New user
Southeast U.S.
1 Post

Profile of mtchdtn
P. Cinimod is Dominic Paolino. He marketed tricks like Clippo, Return of the Fly, and the above.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1797 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2020, mtchdtn wrote:
P. Cinimod is Dominic Paolino. He marketed tricks like Clippo, Return of the Fly, and the above.

Thank you for solving that mystery !

---
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22559 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If I remember correctly, Tannen's also sold that waffle salt shaker called "Salt Go". It was a vanish and reproduction of salt. The instructions said to vanish the salt in the stolen gimmick in the shaker. Then to produce it was not pour, but a throwing up of the hand, and releasing small amounts of salt into the air. I did not care for that reappearance throwing salt in the air. The gimmick was in the shaker and stolen out.

A year or so, the local dollar store had these waffle salt shakers in stock. They sold quickly, as I purchased one, and when I went back for another, they were all gone.

You can use a coin collector's clear plastic tube for the gimmick, or clear pill vial. That is what Tannen used for the gimmick.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Demuth Saltrix salt shaker (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL