The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Loop coin (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
boydy
View Profile
Special user
Ayrshire, Scotland
881 Posts

Profile of boydy
Is there a loop coin prop like there is a loop ball?
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1409 Posts

Profile of Jerry
I made one, it was pretty easy.
Used a 50 cent coin.
Emory Kimbrough
View Profile
New user
Tuscaloosa, AL
94 Posts

Profile of Emory Kimbrough
Now-U-C-It, Now-U-Don't - Jeff Stewart, sold by Meir Yedid and based on the decades-old Ed Mellon's Miracle Money. There's now a New Improved Miracle Money - James Swoger, Jay Leslie, and Ed Mellon. Though it doesn't use a loop, a somewhat related trick is John Cornelius's Fickle Nickel.
boydy
View Profile
Special user
Ayrshire, Scotland
881 Posts

Profile of boydy
Thanks, I'll look into those.
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
Worth a look for a similar effect (but not a loop) is the booklet "Dances with Coins" by Al Schneider. Here's some of it on YouTube:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8um1W1-cGLs
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Loop -- as in an IET Loop(tm) or just a loop of some kind of thread/cord attached to a coin?
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
I forgot to mention Eddie Joseph has the looped coin in his "Coin and Money Magic" from that great resource Lybrary.com
Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Signet
I was talking to an older magician at my local club meeting a while back. The gentleman has since passed away. I asked him about the loop coin. He said he made his own back in the day. He drilled a small hole in a half dollar with a left handed drill bit on a drill press. He was adamant that you have to use a left handed bit. I didn't ask him why it had to be left handed. Then you run a clear fishing line through and make a loop. He said get the line as thin as you can, like 5lb test. Make a loop big enough so when it's around your thumb, the coin is in classic palm position. You show the coin in your palm, then move your hands up and turn them. The coin swings around and you have a nice vanish. I have yet to try it, but it's in my list.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
T. Nelson Downs in his book "The Art of Magic" has drawings of several different mechanical devices for producing a coin over and over again for the Miser's Dream routine. One is a loop coin similar to what Signet describes above.

Jim
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
It "T.U.C. Appreciation" is a description of making one for the TUC gaff
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Similar in function is a "Geezer" gimmick (from one I originally made for a 86 year old magician with arthritis)

one side of a coin is covered with moleskin with an extending tab that can be pinched between the middle fingers.
It can lie on the palm as a visible coin, or flop over to be flesh colored in finger palm position.

or, for a Miser type routine, visible at the fingertips and invisible in a casual sweeping search for another coin.

When used in combination with another coin there are other possibilities.

I have an eBook lying around somewhere Smile
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
There's a dvd called Gone by Ryan Lowe
It show's a great application for this.
And how to make your loop from dental floss.
Todd
IncantoMagic
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of IncantoMagic
In Levent's Ultimate Guide to the Miser's Dream, he dismisses this gimmick as more trouble than its worth...though that is in the specific context of the Miser's Dream
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Of course Levent's favored method is to toss the coin up from the palm and catch it between your thumb and index finger!

Jim
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2019, boydy wrote:
Is there a loop coin prop like there is a loop ball?

My first introduction to the loop coin, was from Magic Inc. they sold one for the stand up coin on the back of the hand. In those days they did not use real money, or it came with a silver dollar size palming coin.

To make one you have to go to a hobby shop and buy drill bits that are smaller then what is available from hardware stores. You can buy them individually, so the expense is not great.

They can be used in a Dremel or quarter inch drill. You want to get one that is just a little larger then the 2 or 3 pound clear fishing line sold at Wal-Mart stores. Then use a surgeons knot to tie the loop off.
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1409 Posts

Profile of Jerry
This what I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Army-Painter-Mini......6AKRBFE4

There are other similar types. This a go start for your research of this tool.
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
^ you will need some patience to drill a hole in a coin with that. Those drills we're originally designed for circuit boards and plastic etc. Something like a Dremel - as Bill suggested - is much better.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
You can also get an inexpensive Hook-coin, attach a tread and bend over the pin.

On some you can drive out the pin and leave an angled hole

jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
The original coins were drilled through one egge and out the other. Those were solid silver.

I have a CNC machine that drills holes at an extremely slow pace, so the bit doesn’t break and get stuck in the coin.
Schaff
View Profile
New user
Fargo, ND
75 Posts

Profile of Schaff
I made one with an old scotch and soda too.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Loop coin (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL