The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Magic For Dummies book: standard card tricks given alternate names? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

karnak
View Profile
Elite user
Colorado
480 Posts

Profile of karnak
From reading various old posts here in the Café, I’ve discovered that David Pogue's book “Magic for Dummies” contains some popular card tricks that it refers to by different (altered) names.

For instance, I understand that this book presents “Gemini Twins,” but calls it “Soul Mates.” Likewise, it teaches Daryl’s "Untouched,” but under the name “Dream A Card, Any Card.” But those are the only two that I’ve so far identified.

So, are there any other well-known card (or other) tricks in that book that are also presented under different or non-standard names therein? If so, then I’d be most interested in seeing them listed.
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
karnak
View Profile
Elite user
Colorado
480 Posts

Profile of karnak
Likewise, the “Cross Cut” or “Criss Cross” force is also taught in this book, but instead referred to therein as the “Cut Anywhere” force.

Any other examples of “same trick, different name” in Pogue’s Magic for Dummies?
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1652 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Very common.
Less than 2% of reported UFO's turn out to be actual interplanetary vehicles.
Kevin Janise
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Kevin Janise
The "Three Mug Monte" is Hummer's Three-object Divination just with different objects. It's found in Mathematics Magic and Mystery by Martin Gardner.
Kevin Janise
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Kevin Janise
Also, the "Above and Beyond" revelation is the "Circus Card Trick".

Kevin
RCarruth
View Profile
Loyal user
Spartanburg, S.C.
207 Posts

Profile of RCarruth
Most of those books aren't very keen on crediting either. Change the name so a quick glance at the table of contents won't provide a real clue to the content.. and don't credit so, hopefully, you'll get credit... rule of law for these guys.
Magic Roadshow - Magic's #1 Free Newsletter
http://magicroadshow.com
tltq
View Profile
Regular user
east coast
147 Posts

Profile of tltq
Rick

Do you have the book?
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
610 Posts

Profile of ejohn
It is an excellent book, especially for newbies to magic, with lots of quality tricks.
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
626 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
Actually, Mr. Pogue was pretty careful to properly credit; for example, I am almost (I lent my copy out to a friend) positive that he credits Daryl on "Dream a Card, Any Card."

I agree with ejohn, I think it is an excellent beginner's book. We bought this for my son when he was 9 on a summer vacation, and some of the tricks in this book re-kindled my interest in magic.
tltq
View Profile
Regular user
east coast
147 Posts

Profile of tltq
To expand on Joe's post

Credits are given in the appendix section of the book. The title Gemini twins isn't mention but Ted Annemann and Karl Fulves are credited. Daryl is credited for Dream a Card, Any Card. Cut anywhere Force is attributed to Max Holden. Hummer is credited for Three Mug Monte. The author referenced the Tarbell course in Magic for Above and Beyond.
karnak
View Profile
Elite user
Colorado
480 Posts

Profile of karnak
Credit is given where credit is due. I was just hoping for a list that would cross-reference book author David Pogue’s own titles for specific tricks with their better-known names as originally given to them by their respective (and duly credited) creators.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1271 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Besides the ones already mentioned in this thread:

“Sleight of Foot” in Pogue, Magic for Dummies (p211) is called “Kick It” in Garcia & Schindler, Magic With Cards (p147).

“Grace under Fire, Part 5” in Pogue, Magic for Dummies (p229) is usually called “Card on the Ceiling”, e.g. Scarne on Card Tricks (p231).

“Slap it” in Pogue, Magic for Dummies (p236) is also called “Slap it” in Garcia & Schindler, Magic With Cards (p134), but is called “Hit the Deck” in Scarne on Card Tricks (p73).

"The Three-Card Pick by Touch Test" in Pogue, Magic for Dummies (p256) uses the one-ahead principle, and is a common trick but not usually published under that name.

“Call the Phantom” in David Pogue, Magic for Dummies (p279) is also not normally referred to with that name, and typically referred to as “The Wizard”, e.g. in Scarne on Card Tricks (p42).

BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame - click here to see all my pictorial reviews: => Magic Reviews <==> Playing Card Reviews <==> Board Game Reviews <==
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Magic For Dummies book: standard card tricks given alternate names? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL