The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2002 entrée: Ben Harris » » Doing it for a living . . . » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
Hi, Mr. Harris, I've heard your name mentioned lots of times as a great close-up magician and inventor of tricks, but unfortunately, I have very little money and I can't buy magic props very often at all . . . but I've practiced sleight of hand closeup stuff for years, and now that I've finally graduated high school, I'm thinking about closeup magic for a living. I'm just curious to how you got started and such . . . there's a restaurant/bar at our mall I'm thinking might like a magician, but I wouldn't know how to approach them or how much pay to ask for or anything . . . it is sort of an off the wall job, after all, but hey, it's in our blood . . .
so if you can offer any advice, I'd appreciate it . . . BTW, do you ever come around Alabama with your show? We don't get many magicians around here. . .

Cheers,

Smile
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Hi Serling,

My first close-up gig was at a restaurant. You can read the story in full with some tips in the April 2002, Genii.

Basically, it was just a matter of impressing the management in a fun way. Then a sales pitch on how the magic could raise the profile of the establishment via the aquisition of publicity.

A one evening trial followed, and a ten year residency was the result.

Times have changed since back in the 80's. I don't know if the same approach would work today. the market has changed and everyone has a gimmick. back in the 80's a gimmick was a rare thing for a restaurant. Thus, it was valued, produced results and was willingly paid for.

Cheers

Ben Harris
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The July 2002 entrée: Ben Harris » » Doing it for a living . . . » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL