The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Adding to the list... (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Degio
View Profile
New user
Europe
78 Posts

Profile of Degio
There is a self-working card trick that I always perform nowadays, which gets great reactions from the audience and it's absolutely mind-blowing. I discovered the trick in the Penguin Live Lecture of Howard Hamburg (great lecture): Howard called it "A Taste of ESP", and it's a variation of "The Nine Card Problem" of Jim Steinmeyer (from his Impuzzibilities book).
A selected card is inserted in a small packet of cards and discovered via spelling. The presentation is very engaging (the spectator can tell the truth or lie, several times) and leads to a number of jokes and interaction with the spectator and the rest of the audience.
Without the extra ESP cards it's only marginally les impactful, but has the benefit of being completely impromptu (from a regular shuffled deck).
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5984 Posts

Profile of magicfish
That reminds me of an old impromptu gem by Martin Gardner called Newspell.
I fooled myself with it.
John7
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of John7
Yes and, also by Martin Gardner, there's Card Minded. You hand a shuffled deck to the spectator and never touch it after that. Spectator cuts the deck in two and picks one half. They pick a card out of the middle of their half and push it into the other half. Spectator B picks up the other half, shuffles it and then fans the cards towards himself, maybe retires to a corner of the room where no one can see the cards. He chooses a card that he feels jumps out at him and puts it face down on the table. It is the card that spectator A picked and put into that half.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5984 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2019, John7 wrote:
Yes and, also by Martin Gardner, there's Card Minded. You hand a shuffled deck to the spectator and never touch it after that. Spectator cuts the deck in two and picks one half. They pick a card out of the middle of their half and push it into the other half. Spectator B picks up the other half, shuffles it and then fans the cards towards himself, maybe retires to a corner of the room where no one can see the cards. He chooses a card that he feels jumps out at him and puts it face down on the table. It is the card that spectator A picked and put into that half.

Where is that one found John?
John7
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of John7
It's in Annemann's Card Magic p69. I haven't actually tried it out yet myself but I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be awesome for spectator A (as long as it works as it should).
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5984 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Ahhh yes. Same source as Newspell. Thankyou sir.
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2071 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
[quote]On Jan 16, 2019, brad12d3 wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 16, 2019, mindhunter wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 15, 2019, brad12d3 wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 15, 2019, Wravyn wrote:
Sean Waters, Bryn Reynolds, Atlas Brookings, etc.. I do have a Maven DVD that is great. So I went ahead and ordered Prism!

Thanks Brad...Prism by Max will be a good buy for you.

Bryn

You bet! I loved The Safwan Papers. That was one of the first mentalism books I bought years ago.

Look forward to prism!

I'm glad you like Safwan.

Max helped me with a couple of research things for The Safwan Papers, as well as some of my individual effects.

He is a human mentalism encyclopedia, and his thinking is....diabolic.

Bryn
"The Safwan Papers" eBook: $30
Please read the many great reviews here at the Cafe:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=253272&forum=15

"THE LOGAR SCROLLS" eBook is also now available ($30)
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=464100&forum=303&70

SPECIAL: "LOGAR" & "SAFWAN PAPERS" Combo Deal: $50

Thanks,
Bryn
cavscout19@hotmail.com (also my PayPal for purchases)
tbsmith918
View Profile
New user
Virginia Beach, Virginia
29 Posts

Profile of tbsmith918
I realize you don't want to do slights, and I wouldn't really call these slights, but If you learn a few counts and a few spreads you can have a lot of fun fooling folks with even a borrowed deck of cards. Counts and slights are the basis for many packet tricks...i.e. easy to learn. Throw in a gaff (if not using a borrowed deck obviously) and you will appear to work miracles. I should mention how much fun it is creating your own effects/routines in this manner. When I first learned the Elmsley Count and the Ascanio Spread back about 1979 (from a couple of packet tricks I purchased...I recall one was called SNOW...Phil Goldstein I think...still have it somewhere) I really found it amazing what I was able to do...it felt as if a door had opened up that I didn't even know existed...hard to explain. Try it...I think you will like it.
Tom
John7
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of John7
Another one: Any Ace Spell. A Frank Thompson effect explained in Rim Shots by Harry Lorayne.

You shuffle the deck. Spectator names any one of the four Aces. You spell straight to it from the top of the deck. So far not dissimilar to a million other spelling tricks. But then you pull the other three Aces out of different parts of the deck leaving the impression that the spectator’s freely chosen Ace was the only one that could have been spelled to.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5984 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2019, John7 wrote:
Another one: Any Ace Spell. A Frank Thompson effect explained in Rim Shots by Harry Lorayne.

You shuffle the deck. Spectator names any one of the four Aces. You spell straight to it from the top of the deck. So far not dissimilar to a million other spelling tricks. But then you pull the other three Aces out of different parts of the deck leaving the impression that the spectator’s freely chosen Ace was the only one that could have been spelled to.

That is a Killer!
Check out Darwin Ortiz' variation in Afterthoughts.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5984 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Peek-a-Boo Aces by Nick Trost.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
A couple of SWing tricks that are quite different, yet great:

The Piano Card Trick
A Swindle of Sorts
Miraskil
Quickie Card Trick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Adding to the list... (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL