We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Famous Quotes: Who said it?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
The flaw with that is if you are then asked to back up that statement with examples and incontrovertible evidence. Are you such a master debater that you could outargue, for example, Nelson Mandela (or any professional politician for that matter)? If so, please explain what basis you have for this rather bold claim, with accompanying examples of arguments, analysis of your hypothetical opponent's known debating patterns and certificate of omniscience from any recognised body responsible for that sort of thing. Wait, come back, I haven't finished...

Transfix that within your pipe and fulminate it.

Oh, no idea who said it either. Sorry.
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
647 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
"WHO ARE YOU GOING TO BELIEVE; ME OR YOUR LYING EYES?

Said by a criminal who we saw committing a crime.

Glenn
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
647 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
Ok, who said this one?

"Every man is a *** fool for five minutes a day; Wisdom comes from not exceeding the limit!"

Glenn
totalpackage56
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of totalpackage56
"better to keep your mouth shut and appear to be stupid then to open it and remove all doubt"-(easy one)

"Outside of a dog, mans best friend is a book. Inside of a dog its hard to read"
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
"Every true patriot will be prepared at all times to defend his country against its own government."
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Firedice it was Edward Abbey
Who said In a war the winner is not he who is right but he who is left.
GypsyPirate
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of GypsyPirate
"I once shot an elephant in my pajamas; how he got into my pajamas, I will never know."

"Time flies like an arrow... fruit flies like a banana."

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members."

"Who are you going to believe? Me or your own eyes?"

"I never forget a face, but in your case, I'm willing to make an exception."

"I have had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."

"Hello, I must be going."

"I was married by a judge; I should have asked for a jury."

"Time wounds all heels."

"Quote me as saying I was misquoted."

All by the same guy...
Magic Mark

"How'd you do that?" ... "Very carefully."
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Groucho Marx
Good Stuff
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Quote:
On 2004-05-31 15:32, GypsyPirate wrote:
"I once shot an elephant in my pajamas; how he got into my pajamas, I will never know."

I believe the actual quote is "One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas, I don't know." Small difference, but changes a lot in the timing/delivery/response to the joke.

Quote:
"Who are you going to believe? Me or your own eyes?"

This was actually not spoken by Groucho, but by somone else. Extra special bonus points to the one who can name the person who actually spoke this line.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Quote:
On 2004-05-31 01:45, totalpackage56 wrote:
"better to keep your mouth shut and appear to be stupid then to open it and remove all doubt"-(easy one)

This has actually been attributed to so many people that it's extremely difficult to pin it down to one person. Most often, it seems to be credited to Mark Twain and Groucho Marx, but no one seems to be quite certain. It can even be found, in a somewhat different form, in the Bible -- Proverbs 17:28.

Not so easy, huh? Smile

Quote:
"Outside of a dog, mans best friend is a book. Inside of a dog its hard to read"

This one, however, is most definitely from Groucho. (Though again, minor correction on the phrasing of it: "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.")

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Jim,
I am not sure was it Richard Pryor? I thought he came later. LOL
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Nope, not Richard Pryor.

If you know the situation in which the quote was spoken, it's easy to see why it has been incorrectly attributed to Groucho.

-Jim
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
You gave it away.
Bill Clinton when his wife walked in on him and Monica.
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Ha!

But, no. Smile

Funny Groucho story related to that, though. Apparently Groucho's wife (which one, I'm not sure) walked in on him kissing the maid. When she confronted him he denied it and said "I was just whispering in her mouth."

Here's a hint: Groucho was nearby when the "Who are you going to believe..." line was spoken.

-Jim
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I am floored.
Who said it?
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Groucho's brother, Chico Marx.

The line comes from the movie "Duck Soup". The scene involves Groucho in his pajamas watching over Margaret Dumont and the war plans. Chico and Harpo, spies for the other country, are trying to steal the plans. They both dress up exactly like Groucho (mustache and all) in an attempt to get into Margaret Dumont's bedroom and steal the plans.

The scene is hilarious with typical Marx mayhem. Margaret Dumont only sees one of them at a time and gets confused when Groucho apparently goes from talking in his regular voice, to talking with an Italian accent (Chico), to not talking at all (Harpo). The line comes when Groucho leaves the room, and Chico pops out from under the bed where he was hiding. Margaret Dumont, whose back was turned, is surprised to see "Groucho" back in the room. She tells Groucho/Chico that she just saw him leave, to which Chico replies, "Well, who are you going to believe, lady, me or your own eyes?"

This scene was followed shortly by the famous mirror scene between Groucho and Harpo, which Harpo reproduced with Lucille Ball when he appeared on I Love Lucy.

I'd highly recommend watching the movie (as well as any of the other Marx Brothers movies, especially the early ones at Paramount and the first few MGM movies).

-Jim
King of Diamonds
View Profile
Regular user
Elite user
139 Posts

Profile of King of Diamonds
One person said all the following quotes:

"Avoid employing unlucky people - throw half of the pile of CVs in the bin without reading them."

"There are limits to my comedy. There are things that I'll never laugh at. The handicapped. Because there's nothing funny about them. Or any deformity. It's like when you see someone look at a little handicapped and go 'ooh, look at him, he's not able-bodied. I am, I'm prejudiced.' Yeah, well, at least the little handicapped fella is able-minded. Unless he's not, it's difficult to tell with the wheelchair ones."

"Don't assume. It makes an "ass" out of "u" and "me"."

There are ones much funnier, but I just quickly picked up those from the website.
Any guesses?

K of D
King of Diamonds
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Now I am tempted to search google but I will wait for a response and take a guess later.
Is it a good site?
Jim I am downloading some Marx stuff as you read this and if you are not Jim I am still downloading so call the FBI.
I am in Taiwan come get me! LOL
Why do people share Magic like Roth and McBride on the web if half the people want to download magic to see not to learn and the stuff is too dificult in any case for any laymen to even try not to mention master.
Just a thought.
francisco
View Profile
Loyal user
Coolest guy in the café
267 Posts

Profile of francisco
David Brent! The handicapped one was the only one I recognised I'm afraid but one of my fave's from the one series I've seen!

-Francisco
'When you steal one trick, they call it plagiarism. When you steal many - they call it research.'

[Corinda, 13 steps to mentalism]
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
384 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
Here's a great quote:

"Remember that bank I used to cry all the way to? Well, I bought it!"

Know who said that many, many times???
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Famous Quotes: Who said it?? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL