The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Drumline Magic Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

alapercussion13
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of alapercussion13
Hello Everyone! I am a percussion director and my students will be performing a magic show for our indoor percussion show. Indoor percussion basically combines marching drums, theater, and some dance. If you would like to check some things on youtube for a better idea simply type in wgi percussion and you will get tons of hits. Its usually performed in a gym with a 360degree view from the audience. I have researched tons of tricks to include in our show and I am trying to get started building our big illusions. I have a general idea of how everything works but it would be nice to have some blueprints or something to follow to be on the safe side. I choose to do a deceptive base for our magician to appear out of and the beginning of the show. A super X levitation for our magician assistants levitation bit, a tip over trunk for another assistant later in the show, and I also plan to have the magician disappear back into the deceptive base for the grand finale. I will use some smaller tricks as well for some sprinkles on the top but, the biggest issue is getting started with the building process. Are there any books or recommendations that you guys could make to help me get this project going?
Joeni
View Profile
New user
Germany
57 Posts

Profile of Joeni
You might have a look into some of the books by Jim Steinmeyer. He wrote about the history and methods of grand illusions.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6674 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi alapercussion13! Welcome to the Café! To BOTH of you!

Steinmeyer does have some good stuff. I tend to lean toward Rand Woodbury. That's just me though. I like the idea of a Deceptive Base. Built into the right prop...can be jaw-dropping! Osborne has a few ideas as well. A couple of things bother me:

The things you mentioned CANNOT be done 360 surrounded! The tip-over...no. A super X levitation is out...cannot have anyone behind you. How long do you have to prepare and rehearse?

doug
alapercussion13
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of alapercussion13
Thanks Joeni I will check it out.....

Hello Dougini, We rehearse every day for one hour and we have four shows... basically one show per month. Its basically a competition for the students against other schools. The kids are
rated for their music their marching and their visual effects. Well this was my plan tell me your thoughts. The Decpetive base plans were to cover it from all sides with some type of big curtain or fabric and have a student appear out of it. The tipover trunk is to be hidden from behind by
curtains momentarily so there is only a front side view of the audience(our judges are in front that all we care who can see it). This can be done by rolling stationary back drops around on our floor. I forgot to mention we plan to have about 4 students as actors (Magician and assistants)
perform the tricks as the other students are drumming. For the Super X Levitation I planed to give our student magician a long cloak to wear and to cover the beam with material that will match his pants leg. The back of the cloak should drape over the back portion of the steel beam. Those are the things that I came up with... What are your thoughts? Thanks so much for your help!
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3055 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
You might want to check out "Marching Band Magic", item #4 in The Wizards' Journal #37, for more ideas on how to turn marching band musicians into marching band magicians. Make sure they know enough not to blab all over about how they did it! Also, the East Orange Unified Marching Band has made use of our Wiz Kid Guillotine, a Super X Levitation, a Lion's Bride Illusion and my OOPS Machine as part of their "sideshow" attractions for Band Fund Raising events: http://wizkidzinc.com/09TysonBPA/SPRING2......1-11.htm But to do these out on the field while marching, you need the ideas from the above mentioned "Marching Band Magic"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Drumline Magic Show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL