The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Mentalism (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

OToole
View Profile
New user
Far North Queensland, Australia
2 Posts

Profile of OToole
G'day from Down Under

I am new to the wonderful world of magic and would like to maybe become proficient in Mentalism.

Could fellow members steer me onto some good reading material on the subject, possibly a good online course/tutorials, YouTube presentations etc.

Kind regards

Jim (OToole)
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3642 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome O'Toole,

Do an advanced search for key words "beginner mental tricks" or something similar in the "Penny for your thoughts" forum "search in" will offer a drop down menu.

I'm thinking there will be some threads a long these lines because we have more new Mentalists here all the time.

If you have no luck you could ask you n the "New to Magic" or the "Penny for Your Thoughts" fora. (Or just read through the thread topics).

Best of luck.

- Mary Mowder
OToole
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of OToole
Thanks Mary.
Pauldelafontaine
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Pauldelafontaine
Welcome, check penny for your thoughts
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
599 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Welcome to the Café!

I'd say pick up a copy of Annemann's Practical Mental Effects, and spend plenty of time on the Café. There are some great people to help out here. I found my passion for mentalism here.
OToole
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of OToole
Many thanks for the helpful advice. I've just managed to download and print a copy of Annemann. A big read ahead of me.

I meant to say in my initial email that I'm a right hander and the two middle fingers on that hand have been amputated. Makes it a bit difficult for the more conventional tricks, hence the mentalism choice.
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
599 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2019, OToole wrote:
Many thanks for the helpful advice. I've just managed to download and print a copy of Annemann. A big read ahead of me.

I meant to say in my initial email that I'm a right hander and the two middle fingers on that hand have been amputated. Makes it a bit difficult for the more conventional tricks, hence the mentalism choice.

You can even work that into your act!

I am disabled(walk with forearm crutches and sometimes need a wheelchair). There are always ways to take advantage of any situation, and use it for a part of your act. Even if it's just a great one liner.

I actually started looking into mentalism for a similar reason. My hand/finger dexterity are poor. But I'm so glad I turned to mentalism because it turns out to be my biggest passion. I spend hours everyday studying.
OToole
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of OToole
Thanks for the encouragement Race.

I haven't been able to put Anneman down since I downloaded it. Spent some time on the computer this morning making up templates and Zener decks. I've managed to bamboozle The Boss (my wife) with three routines this morning.
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
599 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2019, OToole wrote:
Thanks for the encouragement Race.

I haven't been able to put Anneman down since I downloaded it. Spent some time on the computer this morning making up templates and Zener decks. I've managed to bamboozle The Boss (my wife) with three routines this morning.

I thought you'd enjoy that one.

Of course, there's always 13 steps to mentalism and anything you can find by Bob Cassidy's and Richard Osterlind.
OToole
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of OToole
Thanks Race. I have "13 steps to Mentalism" on the way (by snail mail).
CGould
View Profile
New user
Canada
64 Posts

Profile of CGould
Where did you download a copy of Anneman from? My copy of 13 Steps is on its way, slowly.
adrianrbf
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
76 Posts

Profile of adrianrbf
I am reading Conrinda's "13 steps". Corinda teaches many principles, which are not easily converted into real life routines. However, it is an enormous help to understand other mentalists' books or DVDs.

Quote:
On Feb 20, 2019, CGould wrote:
Where did you download a copy of Anneman from?

This I would like to know, too.
CGould
View Profile
New user
Canada
64 Posts

Profile of CGould
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2019, adrianrbf wrote:
I am reading Conrinda's "13 steps". Corinda teaches many principles, which are not easily converted into real life routines. However, it is an enormous help to understand other mentalists' books or DVDs.

Quote:
Where did you download a copy of Anneman from?

This I would like to know, too.

I ended up just ordering a used copy of Anneman yesterday online, it was cheap ish. My copy of "13 Steps" is definitely taking its time getting here but I have Banachek's Psychological Subtleties Vol 1 to finish reading still.
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
599 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Quote:
Where did you download a copy of Anneman from? My copy of 13 Steps is on its way, slowly.

A lot of great magic and mentalism books are in the public domain nowadays. I'm pretty sure Annemann's Mental Effects is as well, but I could be wrong.
Either way, if something is public domain, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding it.
Though, being public domain, some people take advantage by adding their two cents as a new chapter and reselling it as their own. Sometimes it's worth reading, but in my experience, stick with the originals in those situations.
CGould
View Profile
New user
Canada
64 Posts

Profile of CGould
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2019, Race Blakhart wrote:
Quote:

A lot of great magic and mentalism books are in the public domain nowadays. I'm pretty sure Annemann's Mental Effects is as well, but I could be wrong.
Either way, if something is public domain, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding it.
Though, being public domain, some people take advantage by adding their two cents as a new chapter and reselling it as their own. Sometimes it's worth reading, but in my experience, stick with the originals in those situations.

I just ordered a copy online instead, showed up within two days, easier to carry with me!
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2019, Mary Mowder wrote:
Welcome O'Toole,

Do an advanced search for key words "beginner mental tricks" or something similar in the "Penny for your thoughts" forum "search in" will offer a drop down menu.

I'm thinking there will be some threads a long these lines because we have more new Mentalists here all the time.

If you have no luck you could ask you n the "New to Magic" or the "Penny for Your Thoughts" fora. (Or just read through the thread topics).

Best of luck.

- Mary Mowder

Annemann, Cassidy, Earle, Osterlind. The list is nearly endless.

For me, Bob Cassisdy's "Mental Miracles" DVD was the kicker for me. His books are available, and deserve serious consideration.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
Deckstacker
View Profile
New user
Cherry Valley, CA
61 Posts

Profile of Deckstacker
Chris Wasshuber's Lybrary.com makes Annemann's Practical Mental Effects available as a download in PDF format for small $$. Here is the link:

https://www.lybrary.com/practical-mental......kVfD_BwE
A Magic Cafe User
View Profile
New user
Princeton, NJ
61 Posts

Profile of A Magic Cafe User
While it's name might not suggest so, I found Mind Magic and Mentalism For Dummies by James L. Clark very informative and a great introduction to mentalism. I managed to get a copy though my library, but I think its a great investment!

- A Magic Café User
- Just my humble opinion

The more you know, the more you know - Brainpop
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3332 Posts

Profile of Julie
The Clark book did not find favor with most because allegedly much of the material was not credited and/or exposed without permission.
magictia
View Profile
New user
switzerland
11 Posts

Profile of magictia
I fell in love with mentalism thanks to Mental Masterpieces by Larry Becker (DVD)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Mentalism (11 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL