The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » SIBYL - Phedon Bilek - my first impressions after a week or so (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I've been accused by some saying I'm focusing on the negative. I've addressed it fairly in my review, I wish they'd read it properly. But they won't.

And again, we know why!

All I know is, is that I know I've been fair. And I'm not backing down over any element of my review. I'm happy to have an adult conversation but they can sometimes be a rarity here.

I'm not moving from my position, I've thought a lot about my review, spoke with a couple of trusted friends who work in certain fields. I also feel I have enough experience of giving readings via many ways with many, many people to give this a healthy unbiased review. My comments are predominantly positive if anyone takes the time to read and gestate what I've said.

Thanks for any opinions shared.
I've asked to be banned
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2019, IAIN wrote:
Come at me bro... Is a meme.. Is a joke thing to say...

So cool yer boots...

I'm as cool as can be, bro. Calmer than you. Smile

Quote:
I think I know why... But don't like making assumptions... Whatever your motivations, I'm at peace with it...

Iain, we've had our issues in the past, but none of that had anything to do with with what I said. You're talking about how words matter etc., and here you are using a meme that can easily provoke someone. It may not have the same personal significance in comparison to things expressed to someone who's getting a reading, but words matter. Meme or not, the expression is confrontational. Say "come at me, bro" to someone here in Canada while at a bar and you'll see what happens. It won't help by trying to explain "it was a meme!" when you're laying on the floor afterwards. I said that I felt it was an unnecessary thing to say and that it taints your review for this very reason. I'm simply holding you to your own standards and there's no personal motivation involved here.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Yeah, yeah.. Of course...

You can label it however you wish, it makes no difference to me. Or. You can make it about you... Happy either way.

Can we get back to the review?
I've asked to be banned
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2019, IAIN wrote:
While I'm here, Sudo wrote:

"One only needs to observe the reactions of the participants that Phedon was working with to see that none of what he did had an adverse effect and that all of them were legitimately moved and impressed with his demonstration"

How do we know this? How do we know that what we've said hasn't meant they've now had to deal with those thoughts again, or they told the 3rd person about it and they are now dealing with it too.

We can't. Not really. Once they leave us, unless they are a repeat client (don't get me started on that) then we have zero way to track the impact. I hope they weren't. But let's not say talking about any kind of trauma won't buzz about in the mind again because it does happen, for good and bad.

Well, for starters, look at the reactions of these people - the body language, everything. And then there's the hugs at the end. It is clear that they were fine.

Have we reached a point where we can't talk about anything anymore without someone being 'offended' or triggered? Are we going to also call for gun control instead of placing the blame where it belongs - with the shooter? Personally, I couldn't care less for political correctness. Granted, that's mildly different than what we are discussing here, but the territory is still the same.

I don't believe that anyone should be making light of trauma or anything of that nature. However, in a reading, there's often negative issues that can arise or be discussed and this requires sensitivity to be sure. But I don't see at all why they can't be raised. Life is not a bed of roses and there's always the good and bad. Personally, I'd be quite impressed if I were to have a reading from someone who was able to identify some of the trauma I've experienced in my own life. It's not as though trauma just magically 'disappears' and goes away forever and I'd also expect for these issues to be possibly raised since they constitute a significant portion of what makes up my character. Heck, I might even momentarily forget everything I know about readings and believe that the person actually has a gift if they were to do so. Would I be further traumatized by having them raised? No.

I didn't take exception with anything you said in your review other than your closing remark. I understand that people have different tastes and sensibilities and I'm ok with that. I agree completely that this is stuff that can have detrimental effects on people and especially when not handled properly. There's no doubt about it. Personally, I don't avoid negative aspects all the time. They're certainly not the emphasis in any readings I've given, but I don't shy away from them and especially if I sense that the participant is open to it. It likely helps that I'm in the habit of warning people and asking up front if they're ok with me discussing what I 'see' - no matter what it is. I can't recall anyone saying 'no', nor being troubled by anything I've ever said.

Bottom line, if someone doesn't have enough life experience or sensitivity to handle these sorts of subjects then they're better off avoiding them entirely. Or if you're the sort who likes to keep your readings entirely pleasant and light - then simply don't 'go there'. Clearly Phedon knows what he's doing. I can't speak for others, but you're right - there's probably some who will travel that road without having the skill set to do so responsibly. I just don't see that any of that rests on Phedon's shoulders.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Knowing the magic and mentalism communities, such as they are, how many people do you think will...

Come up with their own stories
Just use the stories Phedon supplies
Will use all that's taught pretty much verbatim?

And of course life has light and dark, if we are true empathic readers, able to know things we shouldn't... Then maybe there's room to say, if you have those choices, then you can omit them, focus on other elements... Because you are supposedly able to access all of these things.
One could argue that if you could do such things, then you can make a choice about your focus.

So, if I read for you I could acknowledge hardships, but I would not bring them up as a "thing" and if you did, I'd certainly listen, but then I'd offer you some genuine help instead of merely mentioning it...

I loved the paper thing at the beginning. I've used it, but changed it to suit me. I tell them it's now a mind map.

A 3d rendering of mind, mountains, valleys, pathways, all kinds of things. All from the paper. You could then look at whether the name written is up on high or down below or elsewhere.
I've asked to be banned
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
That's sort of the real problem with this, isn't it? Like you, I have a feeling that many are going to use Phedon's presentation and lines verbatim because, to his credit, he makes it so easy to do so and because it is well-crafted. So I do completely understand your concern and where you're coming from because there's definitely going to be those who don't have the required skills or mindset to be able to handle it properly.

I also agree that if a negative issue is touched upon that it is always best to let the participant set the scene for how that gets handled. Some people will want to discuss them at length and seem happy or relieved to talk about them while others will only want to acknowledge it and say nothing more. The best skill any reader can have is to be a good listener and know-how to respond accordingly. Sometimes that's all people want; to simply have someone hear them. And that's fine too.

I love the paper bit as well. I wasn't familiar with Richard Webster's work on this at all and my understanding is that his work on that is different, so this was a completely new idea for me and I fell in love with it immediately. I think it's fabulous. Throw in some graphology or doodles etc and you can really get a lot of mileage out of that.
Mr. Dural
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of Mr. Dural
Hands up! I got Sibyl. Overall I think its great but I have a question/dilema about the SCREWED effect/Method.

What are we trying to accomplish with this? It seems like this may just a cruel routine that does nothing for the participant.
Where is the astonishment in describing a generic heartbreak? we are relying a metaphor that we tie into their experience but there is no "how could he know that?"

I know I may not be articulating what I mean very well (I should be working , and not on the Café) but I'm trying to see the value in stirring up a painful memory for the sake of what exactly? To tell the spectator it was a lesson ?Really? You must be psychic... : |
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » SIBYL - Phedon Bilek - my first impressions after a week or so (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL