The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Red Herring Benjamin Earl (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pauldelafontaine
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Pauldelafontaine
I was wondering if it can be done with any deck? Or does it just use a s****?

Thanks
John7
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of John7
Yes can be done with any deck including a borrowed shuffled one that's just been handed to you.
Brad Ballew
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville, TN
105 Posts

Profile of Brad Ballew
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2019, Pauldelafontaine wrote:
I was wondering if it can be done with any deck? Or does it just use a s****?

Thanks

You're going to hit yourself when you learn it. Smile

Totally impromptu, any deck, and easy. Honestly, he's just toying with him in the performance video.
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1227 Posts

Profile of mlippo
I got the video as a bonus when I bought Woody Aragon's DVDs as downloads (Black Friday period).
As Brad Ballew said, I wanted to slap myself in the face after seeing the explanation.
Anyway it KILLS!

I did 15' of informal memorised deck show for some colleagues recently. I thought I was done. After a little while they asked me for "one more". I did this. They're still asking me about it ...

Mark
Pauldelafontaine
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Pauldelafontaine
I got the download PDF from Benjamin's site after watching the video performance, the main draw for me to get this was how he cut to the card at the end... I was really disappointed he doesn't go over this in the PDF. What the hell Benjamin, man!?!
stickmondoo
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
In one of the Bill Malone on the loose dvds there is a section of move monkey sleights and there is a one handed cut in there that would accomplish the same thing Ben does at the end of Red Herring. Bill teaches it very well. There are also loads of flashy cuts in the new Steve Beam Semi 11.
John7
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of John7
On his Past Midnight DVD set he teaches his middle spin cut where you spin the chosen card out of the middle of the deck. It's very easy to do and would work well with Red Herring.
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1227 Posts

Profile of mlippo
I'd like to know others' opinions.

I don't like the revelation used by Benjamin Earl in the video. In my opinion it gives a knacky feel to the trick and I don't think it fits. The location of the card is so impossible, that I just go through the pack, put the chosen card face down on the table and then have it named.

Shooting it out of the pack, after having gone thru the cards to see "where" it is, adds nothing here, rather detracts. Always my opinion.
Another thing I'd never do is to have a prediction somewhere or even produce the card from a pocket. All these would distract from the miracle this location really is to the eyes of the audience.

What do you think?

Mark
MothMan
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of MothMan
Mark, completely agree with you. It's such an impossible effect that it doesn't need any embellishments.
In THE GREATER ARTFUL DODGES OF EDDIE FIELDS there is an effect called 'Tripartite' that is also an impossible location type effect. He takes the pack, turns his back, locates the card and just throws it face down on the table for the spec to turn over. No need for a fancy cut. Much more dramatic in my opinion.

Motte
qualysoft
View Profile
Regular user
Presidente Prudente/SP - Brasil
108 Posts

Profile of qualysoft
For those who have the effect and without revealing anything, what method do you use to know the identity of the card required? Apart from the ones mentioned in the explanation video, are there any other more deceptives?
scottvraneshfallin
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
56 Posts

Profile of scottvraneshfallin
I wrote this trick off as a freebie given to me by Vanishing Inc when I bought another DVD set. Once I had an appreciation for who Ben Earl is and what he is capable of, I clicked play on it. I'm kicking myself for not learning it sooner! What fun.
stickmondoo
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
355 Card College 2 Riffle Shuffle Add 2.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Red Herring Benjamin Earl (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL