The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » More shells (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
Palma Nova Mallorca Spain
311 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton
Hiya.

Thought I'd add my Two-Pennorth to the shell discussions.

I use shells made by Bob Swaddling of 13 Roman Way Wantage, Oxon, OX12 9YF. Sorry but I don't have any more contact Details. I bought mine direct off Bob at the Blackpool convention.

They are Chromed circular caps, slightly smaller than "Street Shells". They have a really "Classy" look to them, and also come with a nice case. They have a sort of "Gentleman Con man" sort of air, The sort of things you'd expect some ex British Army Colonel to use in a classy hotel somewhere in the old Colonies.

They come with Foam "Peas" but I use Whit Haydn's "Perfect Pea" and it works "Perfectly"

I use a routine loosly based on Bob Sheets "Absolutely Nuts". the only routine I've ever seen that completely fooled me.

I also own and use Whit haydn's street shells, and I love these too, but customers tell me that they prefer the look of Bob's Shells. I was worried that, being obviously made for the job, people would suspect they are gaffed in some way, (They're not by the way,) but this hasn't been a problem.

My thoughts

Andy

Click here to view attached image.
"Keep that smile on your face, that excitement in your eyes." - Don Driver

Check out www.andyandjeansbigadventure.com
or
www.andysmagic.com
Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton

or
www.andysmagic.com
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
939 Posts

Profile of Riley
I use quite a bit of Bob Swadling material and props -and like the School for Scoundrels products they are CLASS.

Riley
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
What is the cost on Bob's caps? They look great, and I would love to order a set. I have used metal caps before, the brass caps made by Karl Norman. I would love to add the chrome caps to my collection.
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
939 Posts

Profile of Riley
Whit
Bob calls his effect the CONnoiseur's Three Shell Game and the cost is £25 plus 10% p & p.
If you have any problems getting a set let me know and I'll see what I can do to help

Regards

Riley
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Those do look good.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
ursusminor
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
443 Posts

Profile of ursusminor
I love the look of them!
They remind me of something I saw in one of Ganson's "Routined Manipulations" books, although they were made from wood.
Are they available on the web? Or is it only possible to contact him via snail-mail?
Bjørn
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."
- Winston Churchill"
Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton
I only know of Snail mail Contacts.

Andy

or
www.andysmagic.com
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
939 Posts

Profile of Riley
Likewise, although I have an address, phone/fax number for Bob and he doesn't live a million miles from me.
Some dealers carry other items of Bob's, but not his 3 shell game as far as I know.

Riley
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
I use to use the Bob shell`s for some time, but I found the sponge balls they come with, blow away to easy and they are no good with a rubber pea.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
The School for Scondrels sells latex covered sponge peas made by Karl Norman. They are used for his brass caps and for thimble-rig. You may find they work well with these.
Andy Charlton
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Andy Charlton
I use Bob's shells with SFS Perfect Pea.

Works "Perfectly"

Andy

or
www.andysmagic.com
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
I just got two sets of the thimble rig from the sos and the pea that comes with it works very well with all the shellgame sets I own.

I have a question. I would like to get a plastic shot glasses for the shellgame. As I have broken many glass shot glasses over the years.

Does anyone know where I could mail order to get plastic shot glasses?
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
paladin1
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of paladin1
Does anyone have the Black Fox "Turtle" or "Scarab" shells? How do they feel, weight wise?
wolfsong
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of wolfsong
The scarabs are actually my favorite shells. Not heavy as the metal shells and grip better. I would love to have a set of those shells as well if he ships. I have a set of the karl norman that look a lot like these. They look very nice in silver.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2007-04-22 14:24, paladin1 wrote:
Does anyone have the Black Fox "Turtle" or "Scarab" shells? How do they feel, weight wise?

I have several sets of shells including the Scarabs. The Scarabs while not having the dip do not need it. The pea slips out and back in effortlesly. While the Scrabs do not look like they would function properly they are perfect and I feel work just as easily as the SFS. My two favorite shells are the SFS shells and the Scarabs. I find the SFS more practial as I carry them with me and they take up very little room whereas the Scarabs are somewhat bulky.

The only difference is that when moving these sets the movements with the SFS set requires less movement with your hand as they are smaller. This is not a plus or a negative just a fact. Both side steal and load very easy. If you are wondering what set to get I would say get them both. You will not be disappointed. But Ihave to tell you...get the Perfect peas...I repeat get the Perfect peas. If you are not sure of that last statement let me repeat get the Perfect peas.

Lastly trying to answer your question of the weight (not sure what you mean) of the Scarabs I see in no way as it being a factor. They are easy to grip and handle.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
william the 3rd
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of william the 3rd
I perfer the standard walnut shell. I make them myself and they are really quite good for the game. I guess that would be because that is how it started? I use a wad of knotted rubber bands as the pea.
I have not seen a "Perfect Pea" can anyone tell me why they are perfect. The latex sponge peas sound like a good idea but what is better them or the Perfect Pea?
wolfsong
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of wolfsong
The perfect pea, without comparision
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
The perfect pea is vinyl and doesn't deteriorate like latex. It compresses well and unlike many peas it works well on both hard and soft surfaces.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Did anybody have any luck ordering a set of these "shells" from Bob?
Any web address or email address since '04?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » If right you win, if wrong you lose... » » More shells (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL