The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown - esque performances? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brad Ballew
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville, TN
105 Posts

Profile of Brad Ballew
I have not seen a lot of Derren Brown's material. Living in the US, I have only ever seen his Netflix specials. So far I have watched "Sacrifice" which I thought was really interesting and "The Push" which I had very mixed feelings about. I plan to watch "Miracle" next.

What fascinates me, and what I want to study a bit more is his approach to psychology and how a person's life might be steered without them realizing it. This is partly out of curiosity but also for a film project I am working on that touches base on this concept. I have studied a few of psychological forces showing ways to lead someone's train of thought for small effects, but I haven't seen much outside of Derren's specials that push psychological ideas to such an extreme and on a much larger scale. I am curious to check out some of Derren's older material that is similar and any other examples from other performers that I might not be aware of.

First off, where is a good place to see some of Derren's older material and what would you recommend? Second, is there anyone else that has done similar setups that would be worth checking out?
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1039 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
For what you are looking for, derrens trick or treat series contains psychology that creates an experience that makes the spec act a certain way. Trick or treat are smaller 15 minute performances of what you are looking for. Also his YouTube channel has some clips on from other specials. The guilt trip comes to mind where e gets someone to admit to a murder they didn’t commit.
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
Meng
View Profile
Regular user
Somewhere in Germany I wrote
128 Posts

Profile of Meng
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2019, Brad Ballew wrote:
I have not seen a lot of Derren Brown's material. Living in the US, I have only ever seen his Netflix specials. So far I have watched "Sacrifice" which I thought was really interesting and "The Push" which I had very mixed feelings about. I plan to watch "Miracle" next.

What fascinates me, and what I want to study a bit more is his approach to psychology and how a person's life might be steered without them realizing it. This is partly out of curiosity but also for a film project I am working on that touches base on this concept. I have studied a few of psychological forces showing ways to lead someone's train of thought for small effects, but I haven't seen much outside of Derren's specials that push psychological ideas to such an extreme and on a much larger scale. I am curious to check out some of Derren's older material that is similar and any other examples from other performers that I might not be aware of.

First off, where is a good place to see some of Derren's older material and what would you recommend? Second, is there anyone else that has done similar setups that would be worth checking out?

You should probably read this article:
https://theness.com/neurologicablog/inde......science/

I don't agree with everything written in it, but in general I would advise you not to believe everything you see an entertainer do in a television special. Take his performances with a pinch of salt.
Brad Ballew
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville, TN
105 Posts

Profile of Brad Ballew
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2019, Smoking Camel wrote:
For what you are looking for, derrens trick or treat series contains psychology that creates an experience that makes the spec act a certain way. Trick or treat are smaller 15 minute performances of what you are looking for. Also his YouTube channel has some clips on from other specials. The guilt trip comes to mind where e gets someone to admit to a murder they didn’t commit.

Thanks Smoking Camel! I'll check it out!
Brad Ballew
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville, TN
105 Posts

Profile of Brad Ballew
Quote:
I don't agree with everything written in it, but in general I would advise you not to believe everything you see an entertainer do in a television special. Take his performances with a pinch of salt.

I agree and I always watch everything with a skeptical mind. I do find his experiments and how he frames them interesting though regardless of how much is authentic. There are certainly some truths present.

I'll definitely check out that article. Thanks!
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
900 Posts

Profile of dyoung
Yeah, as someone said, youtube is your friend. A lot of his televised earlier stuff is available there. I think most mentalists seem to prefer his older stuff as it was more mentalism and less "self help". But you should be able to find his theater shows on there as well, sadly they have been massively cut down in the editing room. But it's better than nothing.

Enjoy,
Dan
Psyfl
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Psyfl
I would recommend watching his 1999 International Magic lecture, watching his DVD 'The Devil's Picturebook', and reading his first two books Pure Effect/Absolute Magic. His 'Mind Control' and 'Trick of the Mind' TV shows also demonstrate some of his earlier work.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I would recommend reading this place from around 10 years ago onwards, place was packed full of them...
I've asked to be banned
Brad Ballew
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville, TN
105 Posts

Profile of Brad Ballew
Wow, you're right. He has a ton of stuff on his YouTube channel. That's pretty cool of him to make it that accessible.

I was just watching the one on luck, which is actually pretty close to what I'm looking for. Interesting stuff.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown - esque performances? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL