The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cassidy's Chronologue - Penguin lecture? (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Aaron Vlack
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Aaron Vlack
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2019, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
Sadly, I'm wondering if pocket diaries/day planners are becoming relics of the past?

Surely it's possible to adapt the effect so that it uses the calendar app on a smart phone, but would it still play as strongly, I wonder?

Playing card are a relic of the past but they are still important, right? I like this version https://weeklycartomancy.blogspot.com/ from my friend Pablo
BobMillerMAGIC!
View Profile
Regular user
MN
105 Posts

Profile of BobMillerMAGIC!
Quote:
On Jul 15, 2019, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
Also, I've never quite "bought" into the idea of writing down a playing card for each date in a diary. For me, it made much more sense to write down a tarot card (since I know of readers who actually do this). I adjusted the routine accordingly, even though I then couldn't use some of the later subtleties in handling that were only possible with playing cards.

However, that being said, there are playing card decks that are designed specifically for use with divination (e.g., Nile or Kadar), that would be a nice complement to Cassidy's effect.

Hey Philemon, Can you point to any sites or tricks that use the Tarot Card to Calendar principle?
PreDate: The NoMem Calendar Trick
http://www.BobMillerMagic.biz
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
I'm sure if you do a Google search for "tarot card diary" or "tarot card journal," you'll find plenty of references.

The idea is simply to draw a random Tarot card in the morning, write it down in your diary/journal/day-planner, then at the end of the day, reflect on what happened to you that day and how the card may relate.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1149 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
I've always wondered why Bob used the AS, 2S, 3S and 4S.

That just seems like a lot of spades written in the diary if someone happens to flip through. (of course I know about audience management)

Is there any reason to NOT use maybe the AS, 2H, 3C and 4D?

Seems like more variety in the diary. Or for that matter, the first 4 cards of Mnemonica or something like that.

If you have thoughts or insight on that, I'd love to hear it.

I've loved the trick for years (going way back to Mental Masterpieces), but haven't ever fully made it up yet.
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
Indiana
321 Posts

Profile of The_MetalMaster
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2019, Tim Hannig wrote:

That just seems like a lot of spades written in the diary if someone happens to flip through. (of course I know about audience management)

Seems like more variety in the diary. Or for that matter, the first 4 cards of Mnemonica or something like that.

I've loved the trick for years (going way back to Mental Masterpieces), but haven't ever fully made it up yet.

I believe it was because the black cards show up better on stage. Not sure why all spades, and no clubs though
pacozaa
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of pacozaa
Quote:
On Oct 10, 2019, Tim Hannig wrote:

He mentioned it that because Spades are much more visual an it can be seen from greater distance.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Scott Creasey has a spin on this in his new book 22 using Tarot cards.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2020, 252life wrote:

+1
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2020, Stunninger wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2020, 252life wrote:

+1

which also works with playing cards still Smile jack, queen, king 11,12,13...etc
I've asked to be banned
BobMillerMAGIC!
View Profile
Regular user
MN
105 Posts

Profile of BobMillerMAGIC!
Quote:
Hey Philemon, Can you point to any sites or tricks that use the Tarot Card to Calendar principle?

If anyone is interested in a Tarot Card to Calendar effect, I have software that will let me post ANY images on ANY days in a calendar for ANY year. I've had other inquire about using Tarot cards, but so far no one has asked me to create that type of PreDate calendar. Who will be first?
PreDate: The NoMem Calendar Trick
http://www.BobMillerMagic.biz
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cassidy's Chronologue - Penguin lecture? (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL