The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index New to magic? First trick to learn (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

john magic wright
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of john magic wright
Ive been in magic over 40 years and the first trick I ever learned was sponge balls Im performing every week in my close up room and I think one of the best trick in my close-up show or sponge balls when the girl opens her hand and has 10 sponge balls in her hand the entire room of 25 people gasp .So if you are new to magic learn to do the sponge balls
Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of Signet
Sponge ball routines require skills that don't always come easy to a beginner. While I think they're great to work on, there are much easier things for a first trick. My suggestion would be something like buckles to dimes.
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1871 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
There are harder and easier routines with spongeballs. I'm with John on this one, at least conceptually. Start with something that gives a lot of bang for buck. Spongeballs, cut and restored rope, that sort of thing. Great stuff. One of the best aspects of spongeball routines is that many of the moves or at least the concepts can apply to many other tricks. There's a certain amount of audience management and basic misdirection in most sponge routines that will serve you well in other situations.

-Patrick
Zama
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Zama
I am new to magic and it always seemed to me that the simplest tricks are card tricks, isn't that right?
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Card tricks and magic in general seem to fall into two different categories. Simple card tricks are simple, more difficult slights are more difficult (that sounds redundant). Likewise, there are simple coin tricks, and very difficult coin tricks. I think sponge balls are a good start, but it seems most magicians cut their teeth on the cups and balls.
kShepher
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington, DC
397 Posts

Profile of kShepher
The first trick that I floored my mother with...45 years ago...was the Don Alan Chop Cup routine. I nailed it. Then she made me do for everybody walking the house...

Maybe it's dated now, I don't know.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2321 Posts

Profile of todsky
Sponge ball routines certainly do get great reactions, but they do require some practice. Svengali deck is a great one to begin with, in my opinion.

Todd
www.magicstore.ca
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Elite user
Razorback Country
498 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
I started with learning a French Drop / Finger Palm. Learning a simple Single Coin Routine will serve a beginner with branching out to use the same sleight with small objects later. Maybe it sounds unsexy, but it is a foundational start.

Blessings,
Stephon
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2321 Posts

Profile of todsky
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2019, Stephon Johnson wrote:
I started with learning a French Drop / Finger Palm. Learning a simple Single Coin Routine will serve a beginner with branching out to use the same sleight with small objects later. Maybe it sounds unsexy, but it is a foundational start.

Blessings,
Stephon

I think coins are sexy! Smile Smile Smile
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Greg Kiefer
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Greg Kiefer
The first trick that I recalled performing was the Nickels to dimes trick that I purchased 40+ years in downtown Minneapolis near Hennipen Avenue. I still have the brass trick and still perform it to my siblings and children.
paradix88
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of paradix88
The first thing Id advise someone new to magic is to learn a trick, not buy a trick. While things like the sven deck are great to get a strong effect with minimal effort, I think its better to start with something not gimmicked as it makes you treat magic first as a skill rather than just a performance. My grandfather taught me card magic and he must have shown me 100+ tricks with a regular deck of cards before he ever let on to me what could be done with a gaff deck. It only takes a beginner an afternoon to learn a decent card transposition and you get the basic sleights taught straight away.
Olly Poncho
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Olly Poncho
I really want to do the sponge balls but the texture makes my skin crawl. I wish it wasn't so, but I can't cope with those things
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2019, Signet wrote:
Sponge ball routines require skills that don't always come easy to a beginner. While I think they're great to work on, there are much easier things for a first trick. My suggestion would be something like buckles to dimes.

I agree with Signet! (except for the "buckles to dimes" HEE HEE!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi! I'm not exactly new to magic, BUT,'The only card "tricks" (actually card flourishes) I can do are the cascade, waterfall arm spread and turnover, which I learned at 16, from Erdnase. I even get lost on the '21'.

Abbott's once sold ($.50 in 1945) "50 Crazy Card Tricks". I think I remember one.

The best place to find easy "self working" material is in library books! I've seen professionals fooled by some of those tricks!

I knew Ricky Jaye, Alex Elmsley, Dai Vernon, and a few other cardicians. I even know Jon Racherbaumer! I've enjoyed watching their card work, but, I just never cared to do them!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
805 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2019, john magic wright wrote:
Ive been in magic over 40 years and the first trick I ever learned was sponge balls Im performing every week in my close up room and I think one of the best trick in my close-up show or sponge balls when the girl opens her hand and has 10 sponge balls in her hand the entire room of 25 people gasp .So if you are new to magic learn to do the sponge balls

I like this post. It teaches one that magic requires skill. The skills in sponge ball routines are fairly easy to learn. There is a multitude of sponge ball magic ranging from simple to highly complex. Starting with a "two in the hand, one in the pocket," or a "reappearing sponge ball" sounds like it would be great for beginners. And the basic sponge ball routine that ends with the volunteer spilling oodles of sponge balls onto the table to the delight of all is pretty easy to learn. So yeah, this sounds like a much better approach than learning a bunch of self-working card tricks.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
magicianbrady
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of magicianbrady
Some simple card tricks like the 4 Jack Robbers or maybe the French Drop
The Magic Cafe Forum Index New to magic? First trick to learn (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL