The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » SAS Who Dares Wins (Smash and Stab) (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sn00py
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Sn00py
Hi all. Just wanted to introduce my a version of smash and stab- SAS - Who Dares Wins by Chris Jowett

Handcrafted and examinable it should be on sale this week.

Head over to www.chriswebbvault.com for the teaser and in the next day or 2 the full trailer will be up.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3316 Posts

Profile of warren
It definitely looks interesting but the video didn't provide any information at all so here's just a few questions.

Can the spectator make all the choices as to which cup you smash your hand down on ?

When you say it's the safest method how safe is it compared with Nailed it for example where the spectator can make all the choices but it's absolutely impossible to hurt yourself ?

Whilst I don't want you to expose the method is this self contained and can be performed anywhere at anytime ie it doesn't require any electrics and there is nothing that has to be charged or that can go flat ?

Can it be performed surrounded and close up or is it for stage only ?

Thanks
Jonathan1000
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of Jonathan1000
And to Warren's excellent questions, I'd add this one: Are the props examinable before and after the performance?
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals." -- Homer Simpson
Sn00py
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Sn00py
Hi warren. This is a different method to nailed it. The magician knows where the nail is and avoids it rather than smashing the cup the spectator chooses.
However it is self contained and examinable by the spectator which sets it apart from the others.

It’s ideal for close up, stage or parlour.

It is electronics based.

The nice thing about this version is that it’s not limited to just smashing cups and avoiding nails but can be used to “divine” which cup other items are under e.g a child’s toy, making it versatile for kids shows or other mentalist routines only limited by imagination.

Trailer will be published tomorrow hopefully and will give you more information and performances.
Sn00py
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Sn00py
Jonathan1000- yes. The spectator can examine the nail and base and is encouraged to screw the nail into the base. The cups are not marked. The board can be cleanly inspected.
carlwag
View Profile
Special user
Huddersfield ,West yorkshire
711 Posts

Profile of carlwag
Looks lovely but electronics can fail , is this a possibility ???

Regards carl
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5235 Posts

Profile of videoman
Man, even with all the legal disclaimers in the world I would still never want to sell any prop for this effect.
But I'm certainly glad that others are willing to.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3316 Posts

Profile of warren
Whilst it certainly looks like it has the potential to be a great effect it doesn't quite meet my criteria unfortunately but I wish you well with the sales thanks for answering my questions and being upfront it's much appreciated.
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
1732 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Electronics can fail.
Much prefer Nailed It as not possible to injure yourself or spectator.
Sn00py
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Sn00py
The trailer is now live on the following page:

Www.chriswebbvault.com

When a creator comes up with a new method for something as potentially dangerous as a smash and stab trick the only thing which is at the forefront of their mind is Safety safety and safety.
SAS is no different and would never have been released if there was any possibility that it wasn’t safe.

Yes it electric so obviously has a power source which therortcially
could fail but everything is self contained so there are no remote parts and everything is self contained. Without disclosing the secret it’s hard to explain how safe it is but putting it bluntly the concept is simple and there isn’t a lot to go wrong. If in the highly unlikely event something like power does fail then the magician simply wouldn’t smash the cup and the explanation video explains how to proceed from this situation. I must reiterate that this is highly unlikely and only added to cover all bases. The trick is reliable and safe.
drjohn
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of drjohn
No its not safe at all.....you may panic and with cups that close together you could accidently hit the wrong cup. To say this version is 100% safe is 100% wrong.....you may be able to say the method of DETECTION is 100% but that still doesn't make this 100~% safe. SHATTERED and PAIN GAME and other versions where you could smash your hand dowm on ALL of the cups are 100% safe....this is not and its misleading advertising in my opinion
May your darkness come quickly
paranormal
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of paranormal
Shattered is literally 100% safe so I would get that or nailed it as You would want to be as safe as possible.
Sn00py
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Sn00py
DrJohn, thanks for your comments and I'm sorry you think the advertising is misleading, but just to clarify in NO advert has SAS been advertised using the phrase "100% safe".

As with all effects of this nature there will always be an element of risk and this has been addressed as honestly as possible in the above comments. Sorry you feel differently but I do believe it has been advertised fairly and accurately.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On May 17, 2019, Sn00py wrote:
DrJohn, thanks for your comments and I'm sorry you think the advertising is misleading, but just to clarify in NO advert has SAS been advertised using the phrase "100% safe".

As with all effects of this nature there will always be an element of risk and this has been addressed as honestly as possible in the above comments. Sorry you feel differently but I do believe it has been advertised fairly and accurately.
Your ad reads " Totally Safe" Which translates into 100% safe Electronic methods for this effect are never totally safe.

There are versions of this effect that are in fact 100% safe with no possible way for the performer's or a Spectator's hand to be injured. One version is by Randi Rain, Two by Scott Alexander. Any electronic method for this effect will eventually lead to an injury that is a proven fact. So will any method were a mark, or magnet is used. The versions by Randi and Scott do not use any of those methods and are exactly as advertised 100% safe. With no chance for injury at all.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5235 Posts

Profile of videoman
FYI, I have drawn blood twice in rehearsals using Scott Alexander's Nailed. Although these were very minor wounds they did hurt like heck for a few moments, but they never could have impaled me or done serious damage. But even still I have a problem with stating it is 100% safe.
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
"Nothing worse than a paper cut right...? Tell that to the guy who just chopped his foot off with an axe."
-Bob Jardine
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5235 Posts

Profile of videoman
Ha, ha, yes, tiny but painful.
No long term or serious damage though obviously.

Overall, a great method and the use of the apple at the end is typical brilliant Scott Alexander thinking.
jnork
View Profile
Regular user
Jason Christopher
166 Posts

Profile of jnork
Just a minor point. If I'm doing this on a table 'close up' why would I need to bring another 'table' with me? It's a bit incongruent for my taste. I would just place the holder and the nail on the table and cover it up with the cup and place 2 other 'empty' cups next to it. Can this be done without the 'cutting board' for the cups to rest on?
Yours in Magic!
Jason
Sn00py
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Sn00py
Quote:
On May 29, 2019, jnork wrote:
Just a minor point. If I'm doing this on a table 'close up' why would I need to bring another 'table' with me? It's a bit incongruent for my taste. I would just place the holder and the nail on the table and cover it up with the cup and place 2 other 'empty' cups next to it. Can this be done without the 'cutting board' for the cups to rest on?

Very good question! You do require the board to perform this trick. Personally I make a quip about last time I did this I damaged the table or something like that, and when you smash the cups its quite a forceful and noisy spectacle which only adds to the fact that it needs some protection so as not to damage the table you are performing on- honestly in over 18 months noone has ever queried the board, or even tried to examine it, but if they decided to then they can as there is nothing to give away the secret.

SAS can also be performed without the danger element of the spike - for example replacing the spike with a childs toy figure or I do a version where you cover 2 bottles of water and bottle of wine and then always find the wine, in these examples the board becomes a bit of a mini stage which is a nice touch.
Hope that helps Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » SAS Who Dares Wins (Smash and Stab) (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL