The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Coloring Book - The Original - still ok to use? (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JAEIII
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of JAEIII
I've taken a break from magic (it's been a few years since my last show). For nearly 15 years, however, I always opened my show with the good old coloring book (3 ways....black and white, colored, blank). It was a quick visual trick to get the audience going and kids have always loved it. I did a show recently for a school. After the show, the teacher made a comment to me that one of her students mentioned to her that she owned that trick. The teacher inferred from the student that she had gotten it from a magic kit her parents gave her.

I know the coloring book can be described as overly used, but is it now available wide-spread in magic kits? I avoid doing magic that can be bought in retail shops and toy stores. I've often thought about replacing it with something else, but I've found it hard to find a new opener that has such a visual magic impact. I just moved back to my original home town and I'd like to get my magic going again. I just want to make sure I'm performing a show consisting of magic that the kids don't already own.

Thoughts? Thanks!
Believe In Magic....I do!
Wx4usa
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of Wx4usa
Some may disagree, My opinion is that I think it is still very ok to use. Depends entirely upon the presentation. Yes a lot of 'tricks' are in magic kits today, but that shouldn't hinder us from using them. Go for it. The tt is a great example, there are millions sold in dollar stores even, but through proper presentation and handling, no one mentions it. You may have one or two kids here and there that mention the book....it's ok, let them be proud of and brag of being in the "know" so to speak.

As you say in your tagline: Believe In Magic....I do! - It is the presentation that makes it magical.

Welcome back to magic!
torben
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of torben
Well, some tricks are in the Magic kits - and others are revealed on YouTube. But if we presend our show well it doesn’t matter. Some times the kids wouln’t even recognize that we’re using the same tricks.
psychod
View Profile
Loyal user
I may not be a millionaire but at least I have
247 Posts

Profile of psychod
I think a lot is in your presentation of the effect. I've shown people a paddle effect when they know the paddle effect but I tell a story throughout and people enjoy it just the same.

Dave
Just adding my 3 cents worth because anybody can add their 2 cents worth...
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
In the "Kid Show Magic" section of the Magic Nook, you can find my "Coloring Book Revisited" in which you make your own coloring book trick from a couple of Dollar Store coloring books. Advantages: The book will look like the real thing because it is the real thing and not a book that has been colored in by a printing press rather than by actual crayons. Also, you can use books with Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse or other trademarked characters - legally -because you bought the rights when you bought the books. Following my routine, you can use a book that hasn't been colored in to start the routine, switch it for the "magic" book you made so the colors gradually fill in or completely fill in (your choice), and at the end of the routine, the colors "fall out of the book" so you can give the book and a small set of crayons to the spectator who helped you, and he or she can take the book home and color it in and wonder why it doesn't work like the one in that magic set or as seen on YouTube.
Wx4usa
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of Wx4usa
Quote:
On Jan 31, 2019, jimgerrish wrote:
In the "Kid Show Magic" section of the Magic Nook, you can find my "Coloring Book Revisited" in which you make your own coloring book trick from a couple of Dollar Store coloring books. Advantages: The book will look like the real thing because it is the real thing and not a book that has been colored in by a printing press rather than by actual crayons. Also, you can use books with Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse or other trademarked characters - legally -because you bought the rights when you bought the books. Following my routine, you can use a book that hasn't been colored in to start the routine, switch it for the "magic" book you made so the colors gradually fill in or completely fill in (your choice), and at the end of the routine, the colors "fall out of the book" so you can give the book and a small set of crayons to the spectator who helped you, and he or she can take the book home and color it in and wonder why it doesn't work like the one in that magic set or as seen on YouTube.

That’s right Jim has some fantastic things. I had forgotten about the coloring book! You cannot go wrong with any MagicNook items!
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
458 Posts

Profile of TKD27
I think it's fine. Yeah, it's in some magic kits, but not a big deal. My only recommendation is to get the yellow version with clowns instead of the red version. I'm more concerned about the kids that have seen another magician do it than I am the one kid I'll see a year that owns the coloring book. But using a different looking book sets it apart.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Quick fix to fool the kids who recognize the cover- go to Dollar Store and get some coloring books the same size, remove the covers, attach a new cover to the old coloring book with craft glue dots. After the show, put the cover back on the coloring book from whence you tore it, and give it to one of the kids as a prize to color at your very next show.
JAEIII
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of JAEIII
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2019, jimgerrish wrote:
Quick fix to fool the kids who recognize the cover- go to Dollar Store and get some coloring books the same size, remove the covers, attach a new cover to the old coloring book with craft glue dots. After the show, put the cover back on the coloring book from whence you tore it, and give it to one of the kids as a prize to color at your very next show.

Fantastic Idea!
Believe In Magic....I do!
padre rich
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of padre rich
Flip books were hand drawn long before the printing press.magic history reveals that bosco had one that he took great care to protect from damage that had five changes this would have been an astounding effect in his day,near to witchcraft...the coloring book is a perfect opening item to gauge the sophistication of an audience.it always gets an audible reaction...once in a while a kid will yell out that they have one at home.just say "well,don't tell me how it works,i LIKE to be fooled." transition from that laugh to your next effect...
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.
David French
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of David French
I have been using the original Coloring book for decades. Never had an issue. It works, surprisingly the adults really like it too, every time. I think we tend to overthink things as magicians.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2019, jimgerrish wrote:

GREAT idea!!! And to make it even simpler, just buy a few of the same Dollar Tree coloring books and have them already on hand, ready to give away. Thanks for a superb idea, Jim.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On Jan 31, 2019, jimgerrish wrote:

This looks very interesting. Just ordered it. $5.00 is a genuine bargain. If you like, I'll review it for you, if that hasn't already been done. Looking forward to reading it.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Got your order and sent it off. Sorry about the "verification" thing, but we've been getting a lot of non-magicians and beginners looking just for secrets with no idea how to perform them and then wanting their money back when they discover (gasp!) that they actually have to build the props themselves.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2019, jimgerrish wrote:
Got your order and sent it off. Sorry about the "verification" thing, but we've been getting a lot of non-magicians and beginners looking just for secrets with no idea how to perform them and then wanting their money back when they discover (gasp!) that they actually have to build the props themselves.

No worries. It was a simple matter to verify. Have a great day, Jim.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

jamiedoyle
View Profile
Special user
Lafayette, IN
619 Posts

Profile of jamiedoyle
It may be in magic kits, but the percentage of children owning that particular magic kits is probably very low. I just performed the Coloring book for 2 different groups this week and not one child told me he/she had seen it or owned it -- nor did I hear anyone exclaim that they knew how it was done. It got a great response from both audiences.
Jamie Doyle
International President - Fellowship of Christian Magicians
jamiedoylemagic.com
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
I've used it thousands of times, and yes you will get the occasional "I know that one!" but any experienced kidsmagish knows how to handle that! What I really wish was still around was the 6-way coloring book, which included scribbles, words, and mixed-up colors. (too darn lazy to make one myself!) When I use the MCB, I always include at least 1 or 2 other effects with it, such as the rainbow-nesting wands or a rainbow mouth-coil.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I still do the coloring book for kids ages 4 to 6 or 7. I have one of the ones with scribbles and blank pages (Nursery Rhymes by I think Fun Magic, no longer made). The kids love it and it fools a lot of the adults. If I do a birthday party for someone who has seen my show, I ask them what tricks they want me to repeat. They almost always say the coloring book (and the multilated parasol).
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Meir Yedid has the latest variation on the coloring book - The Mueller Report (flip book): It can show as all blank, full of words, or all redacted (black lines). You work out the humor for yourself depending on your politics. No, I don't have this at The Magic Nook, and yes, I wish I'd thought of it first! Here it is on his site: https://www.mymagic.com/p/close-up-magic......sleibhin The little darlings won't "get it" but their parents should.
oagwood
View Profile
Veteran user
Pleasant Hill, CA
392 Posts

Profile of oagwood
Always good. It's like anything when you do it well the people that know how to do it most likely will say that theirs works differently.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Coloring Book - The Original - still ok to use? (14 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL