The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Repeat Client Raised Price Question (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11968 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Does anyone have advice on raising a price gently for a repeat customer? Rather, how to raise the price without sounding bad. For instance, with inflation and the market, my prices have gone up since two years ago. I do get emails from former clients regarding a repeat performance which usually is out of town. With so many inquiries at the corporate level, I just cannot accept former bookings at the same price. Its a dilemma for me, albeit grateful I have the business. Thanks.

Decomposing Prices-Not

PS: I understand I can just turn down the gig but I do not want to do that
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20040 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Give prices without explanation. You will never give them what they want to hear. Don't try. Prices go up. It is a fact of life.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11968 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Good point Danny....well received, thanks..
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9769 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
What's good about repeat clients is they should now already know you, your performance, and your established value. So, if established properly, your value should make this a non-issue with them. By this point, they should not be shopping on price, and unless you raise your price by 50-100% (a significant amount) that would be a drastic change, you should be fine.

Especially since it's been two years since they've last booked you. Very few corporate clients expect pricing to stay the same from two years ago. Even in consumer markets, this should be viewed the same and quite acceptable.

Most understand things just get more expensive or business costs (if nothing else) always increase.

Rarely will this be an issue to even be noticed/mentioned, however, if it is, and you feel the need (which as Danny said really isn't necessary) you can, of course, state your increased value if needed, but I too would prefer not to do that. At this point, you should not be a commodity that should be booked only on price. They've booked you, seen you, their guests responded to you favorably, and all of this has lead to wanting to re-book you again two years later. The price is $XXXX period.

This is also an area in entertainment business where many performers shoot themselves in the foot. They try to offer a low price initially just to get the booking or account. If they do well and blow them away, and are pursued for a return booking the performer doesn't always realize what they have done (to themselves). They have established their value to the client at the lower price (offered to initially get the booking). So for the sake of example let's say your regular price is $1,000. If you initially accepted that first booking at only $500, in the client's mind that is your value. You are a $500 performer. And it doesn't matter if you even say "well since it is a first time booking for a new customer I will do it at a one time special price of only $500." It doesn't matter, from that point on you will always be seen as a $500 performer. So then next time when you try to get your "regular" price of $1,000 to them you are asking $1,000 for a $500 performer/value. I see guys do this all the time and not get why they don't get rebooked or why the client may have a problem with this. If you ordered a happy meal for $5 once and the next time you ordered it it was $10, this can create a problem even at the low price points. Imagine how it is seen at greater price points.

Where most fail, is to establish full value first, then price from there.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11968 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I hear ya MP, good point. I never price low. Not anymore at least. Just raising a few hundred these days I sometimes feel like I am obligated to let them know why but that is just me I guess. Sometimes when I say I am available, they will say same price?
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
My prices went up a few months ago. In this situation, I let them know my prices went up on such and such date and that usually resolves it.
On a very rare occasion I have to let go of the past client who can't go with the new pricing and move forward. About 98% of past clients don't voice any concerns about the new pricing.
Mike Perrello
DC Area's Leading Family Entertainment Expert
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9769 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I agree. I know many actually try to keep the news of raising prices on the down low and try not attracting any attention to it. I, of course, understand this. However, several years back we had decided to raise our pricing in the school market after years of steady pricing, but we decided to choose to do just the opposite.

We decided to raise our pricing October 1st of that year. Starting in mid-August we announced a promotion with calls to action of "book your dates now to get last years pricing" and "book now before the price increase." These types of promotions actually drove many schools to book sooner than they regularly would and many actually booked two or three dates for the year allowing them to save hundreds of dollars.

I know most wouldn't draw attention to their price increase but doing it this way achieved several things - First, it clearly and openly announced prices would be raised on a specific date, and secondly, it created a sense of urgency and the opportunity to book multiple events at the same time for a great savings. Also as part of this effort, we demonstrated improved and greater value to our programs which contributed to our continuing top of the market positioning. The negative news turned into an opportunity to many, while establishing the coming price increase. For us, it was a win-win-win in an area many dread and often fear.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I raised my prices a lot last year but I didn't' worry because they were way too low before. ( I had not raised them for @ a decade ) I was worried about such a large increase for my regular Library clients.

I did as MindPro suggests and told the Library of the price change but that they could still book at last years rate if they booked before the new year.
I had more library bookings before the new year than I'd had in the entire last year.

I didn't expect that. We'll see how it goes for Summer Reading shows and in the next year when the discount is not available.

My other repeat customers have reacted well with no explanation.

-Mary Mowder
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20040 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have always used if they are asking about price as sort of a way to help see things. I mean if they are worried about the price this "might" and I do mean MIGHT be an indication of them not feeling you are providing them with the value they expect. Now this in no way means that you are NOT providing such a value to them, but perhaps it simply means you are not COMMUNICATING that value TO them. A VERY important distinction and one to hash out asap.

One way to look at it is if you want to move up and keep moving up in markets, you need to increase your price and your value. Unless, as in the case of Mary where she was working on the same price sheet for a decade, you increase your price as you become more valuable. (NOTHING wrong with that Mary, just re stating your position is all.) As your price increases then by necessity clients will indeed drop off. That is provided you are increasing them for something other than simple cost of living inflationary reasons.

I think we all should raise our prices to be in line with our perceived value. If that value increases then a price raise is in order based on that. When inflation hits then a price hike is also necessitated if for no other reasons than good business. A price raise scares so many people in our industry but I never know why. Look at what it costs to go see a simple movie today! God help you if you want to take the family to a baseball game and have a hot dog. So many forms of entertainment are so expensive.

DO NOT be afraid to know your value. DO NOT be afraid to demonstrate your value and certainly DO NOT be afraid to ask for your value! I am willing to bet that the value most people have is higher than they think. It is simply a matter of communicating that effectively to the client.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
670 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
Danny,

I couldn't agree with you more. Most people don't realize the value they provide, and even fewer are able to COMMUNICATE that value to their prospects and clients. We can make no changes to our show, but do a better job of communicating the value that we bring to the table, and in many cases raising prices won't be an issue. At the same time, we can also create a better show that connects with our target audience, communicate that increased value, and raising prices will be even less of an issue.

There are times when we will have to let go of some of our clients. If they aren't willing to pay the new price, maybe they are no longer our ideal client. It's something to think about.

Lou Serrano
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20040 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2019, lou serrano wrote:
Danny,

I couldn't agree with you more. Most people don't realize the value they provide, and even fewer are able to COMMUNICATE that value to their prospects and clients. We can make no changes to our show, but do a better job of communicating the value that we bring to the table, and in many cases raising prices won't be an issue. At the same time, we can also create a better show that connects with our target audience, communicate that increased value, and raising prices will be even less of an issue.

There are times when we will have to let go of some of our clients. If they aren't willing to pay the new price, maybe they are no longer our ideal client. It's something to think about.

Lou Serrano

It is definitively something to think about.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9769 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
There are many great points at play in this discussion. The problem I see after working with hundreds of performers, is they don't see, know or understand the concept of value. Sometimes they think they may, but it is often only the way THEY see what THEY THINK should be their value. They will say things like "I've been doing this for 15 years, I've done over 1000 paid full-length shows, I should certainly be worth $600 a show." This is how they see value - as it pertains to THEM - from their perspective.

This is not real value. Value is your value/worth as seen and experienced by the CUSTOMER/PROSPECT. One of the things I see most with performers is they set their prices based on little more than what they think they are worth or what they want to charge. Little more. Maybe a touch of thought is on what others in their area are charging, but that's it.

Value should be determined and established BEFORE pricing. In reality, how can you truly create proper pricing without knowing and understanding the value of something's worth? You wouldn't price a new 2019 Caddy at $21,000 or a Chevy Spark (their budget car) for $59,000. They aren't in line or accordance with their value. Same for performers. They need to create and determine both their legitimate value and the perceived value first, then the pricing based on this. People will pay the price for the value they perceive, expect or understand.

So then the next question I get is "how do I know/determine may value? How is value created?" Most come up against this wall, can't find the proper information and understanding and then simply pull back and go to their default thinking - of what they feel. I see this so often with kids/family performers. Little value is created or established, which is why many are all seen virtually as interchangeable commodities.

This is also something that kills me about many of these magic marketing courses and speaking courses out there - almost every guru will proclaim - "simply raise your prices! Four or five of these guys actually say "the first thing I want you to do is DOUBLE your current pricing." Why? Based on what? You telling them to do so? These guys can say that all they want but it is setting these guys/gals up for failure. If they are having problems getting enough bookings at their current price, do you think it will be easier to get more bookings at double the price they can't even get now? It is absurd!

Of course, none of them even deal with the concept of value. Most of them don't know themselves how to truly create true value. Look at all of the puffery guys that have made such claims here in the past. Where are they now, lol.

Value is one of my key concepts that one should spend their time and efforts in truly understanding - from the right perspective - the customers', not their own. Once you know and understand value and operate from a value-based system, pricing rarely becomes a concern.

Then as Lou mention, you must learn how to communicate, present, and sell based on this value. I remember several years ago a member here from Michigan claiming there was no money in his market, businesses were dying and closing, schools weren't booking shows, festivals and community events were cutting back or ceased, companies weren't having events much anymore, and there is no way anyone could get more than a few hundred dollars cap for school shows. As he was proclaiming this, I was in his city and two other cities nearly doing shows for $1,500 each the very same week he was saying this. Why? Because my value precedes me. It was and had been well established properly, long before this. Of course, he didn't believe it and said I was FOS. The difference was in the value and it being communicated properly.

This is also one of the major difference between consumer markets and professional markets. Consumer spending habits and methods are much different than in professional markets. Again, all of this has to do with the business behind the performance. It is not about marketing (that comes later once all of these foundational elements are in place and not before) as many of these guys will tell you, it is about just this. If you are out doing shows before doing this you are leaving money on the table and damaging your performing business with every show you do.

We have all seen guys that are average performers at best, yet they can be quite successful and often earning more than you even though you feel you are a better performer. Value and perceived value (two different things) are the reasons why.

This is why it is crazy when performers get so hung up on "social proof," as their efforts would be much better focusing on the value concept than getting testimonials, etc. Trust me, once value is established, these kinds of things come naturally, organically and consistently. You need to ask or beg for testimonials.

Social media and such is much more powerful and beneficial when done in the proper time and order - after value has been established. So many spend time trying to create pretend or fake value if any at all.

This topic is some of the best advice one can ever receive. Don't spend your time, efforts and money on the latest tricks and releases, shiny marketing materials, wrapping your mini-van, or buying a half a dozen animals for your kid's show - no, invest in this concept of fully and completely understanding value - then how to position and capitalize on it. This is where you will get your greatest ROI.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I get that you are saying we need to assess our value but beyond that I'm not getting what you are saying we should do.

What are the areas one would assess and how would you place a value on them?

Like for instance I entertain and get good reviews, I've won a few contests and my friends say I'm good. How does that translate into value?

I'm not trolling here, I honestly haven't a clue. Those of us in this position feel like we are marks for the afore mentioned marketing systems that just say double your prices.

Any advice on how to know which directions on assessing our value are on the up and up?

-Mary Mowder
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20040 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
When you see a performer who might not have as good a show as you think you do and wonder why he gets SO much work or gets it at the price he does, the answer is in the ability to communicate his value to clients. It is THAT simple. In reality it is this skill that most call "sales" or "marketing" but it breaks down to a simple ability to communicate to the client what you wish them to see.

But here is the key. IT IS NOT ABOUT telling lies, it is not about puffery, it is not about any of that. It is about being able to establish a value for a service and then knowing that the client NEEDS that which they find so valuable. The fact is that many can see the value in a Ferrari. No doubt. Many see the value in custom made clothes. BUT can you communicate not only that value, but why that value is what the client wants?

It is the next step. I mentioned communicating that value and yes that is important. THEN you need to establish why this value is of use to the client. Why that value MATTERS TO THEM. The idea that you have better props than another performer is just not going to cut it. Why will that matter to a client who wants to hire you? Having a value is one thing, communicating it is important as I said. BUT communicating it is a value they NEED or one that will fill a need better than any other is the key.

We are getting to the heart of the matter of why I HATE doing 1 night shows and single shot client stuff. It just makes it SO hard to get these things across, and if you want advice on how to do that for the one night client base don't PM me for ANY reason. I HAVE NO IDEA how to go about it. I never tried. It is just not easy to do. Apple as a brand has spent decades establishing these things. Every major brand has.

I can go on forever about these things. But it is boring.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20040 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2019, Mary Mowder wrote:
I get that you are saying we need to assess our value but beyond that I'm not getting what you are saying we should do.

What are the areas one would assess and how would you place a value on them?

Like for instance I entertain and get good reviews, I've won a few contests and my friends say I'm good. How does that translate into value?

I'm not trolling here, I honestly haven't a clue. Those of us in this position feel like we are marks for the afore mentioned marketing systems that just say double your prices.

Any advice on how to know which directions on assessing our value are on the up and up?

-Mary Mowder

Mary this is NOT trolling, it is the heart of what I have been preaching for decades. The thing is many ARE marks for the systems you speak of and it is why I get so enraged by them selling to people who ARE marks for them! You hit the nail on the head, and maybe finally after a decade or so people can understand my frustration.

Your value is based on many things. Most of all it is based on what you provide to the client. Reviews are just proof that you are not some sort of goof ball with a business card and the url of a magic shop. They provide very little in "value" to a client in the end. This is why I do not really think they are such a great thing. Same with a blog, same with a vlog, same with a Facebook fan base and so forth with all the things the gurus tell us mean SO much. A blog provides almost no value to a client. Having a good SEO in no way provides value to your client for a magic show.

It has always been my contention that almost all the marketing systems focus on things that are current buzz words and want to sell snake oil and promise quick turn around. Which is why I HATE the "If you just get one idea from this it will be worth it" line of thinking.

So the first thing is to find out what your "gimick" is. What exactly do you provide? If you want to REALLY start out right the first step is to NOT be a mark for your own gimick. TOO MANY magicians are! Don't fall for your own press clippings. OK what do you provide for a client? What "need" will this gimick provide for the client in general? Before you get to what is special about you, figure out what the client needs. Now that you know what need your gimick fills, figure out what about YOU that does it better, or in some special way as opposed to everyone else in the business. Many refer to this as a USP. (In reality it is NOT unique at all. I have clients who believe that nobody BUT us can do what we do. In reality it is simply not the case.)

Once you have those things (And it is NOT an easy process.) then you work your gimick and prove to them during the process that you are THE choice for them in every way. This helps you down the line because they feel they have THE BEST whatever and then your prices go up and up organically. It takes time. It takes a LONG time and the process is slower than most want. This is why most won't do it. But it is not necessarily about marketing brochures, or about a great web page or anything that we are so constantly told by those who sell those things. YES they help, and YES reviews help. But those EVERYONE has! Nothing about those set you apart from the herd.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Thank you Danny.

- Mary
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
670 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
Very interesting discussion here. Communicating value is obviously important in charging top dollar for our services. Unfortunately, in many cases we establish our value with our customers on our very first gig. If we charge $500 for an event, it will be difficult to then charge $5,000 for a similar event with the same customer (although not impossible). Going from $500 to $700 may not be difficult. A birthday party mom will also place less monetary value on our services than a corporation that is trying to keep a client who may be worth millions of dollars in future sales.

As to not derail this thread, I'm starting a new thread on business models and the communication of value.

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Lou Serrano
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20040 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2019, lou serrano wrote:
Very interesting discussion here. Communicating value is obviously important in charging top dollar for our services. Unfortunately, in many cases we establish our value with our customers on our very first gig. If we charge $500 for an event, it will be difficult to then charge $5,000 for a similar event with the same customer (although not impossible). Going from $500 to $700 may not be difficult. A birthday party mom will also place less monetary value on our services than a corporation that is trying to keep a client who may be worth millions of dollars in future sales.

As to not derail this thread, I'm starting a new thread on business models and the communication of value.

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Lou Serrano

BINGO!!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9769 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Correct but you have to create, have, and establish value first before you can communicate it.
lou serrano
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, CA
670 Posts

Profile of lou serrano
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2019, Mindpro wrote:
Correct but you have to create, have, and establish value first before you can communicate it.

Mindpro,

There's also one key question EVERYONE must ask BEFORE they can do all of the above.

In the thread I started about business models and creating value, I asked another important question. How do you KNOW what your clients value? If you'd like to share your response in that thread, I'd love to hear it.

Lou Serrano
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Repeat Client Raised Price Question (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.37 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL